[Major Event] UIL Region Contest 2008

FYI...Area C 2000 - 5 were slotted to advance per # of bands at Area. 6 advanced only because of a scoring error...they announced the wrong 5th place band at first because there was a three-way tie for 5th and it was broken incorrectly. If I remember correctly they used the old "add the high and low back in" instead of "judges preference". So the original 7th placed band was actually the winner of the tie breaker and leapfrogged the 6th place band (which was 6th with either tie-breaker) to advanced to state. Therefore the originally announced 5th place band was actually 7th with the correct tie-breaker but they let them advance anyway since they screwed up an announced it. So we had probably the one instance in the history SMBC when a 7th place band advanced and the 6th place stayed home. Weird huh...hope that was clear as mud. And don't ask who was who because it is not important...just thought I'd share a little history so mistakes like this aren't forgetten and hence repeated.

That indeed did happen. I found it odd that after all that hoopla the seventh place band who actually won the tie breaker came in second to last at SMBC, finishing significantly behind the other five from the area. And again in 2002 the same area sent six instead of five due to the two music/one marching rule. I guess Area C is just a problem child. :P

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Region 13 5A to Area E:

Stephen F. Austin

Clements

Dulles

Elkins

Kempner

William B. Travis

Willowridge

S.F.A. will not be attending Area. If you attend Area you must be willing to travel to San Antonio for Finals and they decided to pass on the extra trip this year. BOA favors Austins music and marching more and will be top priority for the band going forward.

Region 5 contest is today at Pennington Field in Bedford (or is it actually Hurst not that it matters)

Starting at 4:30 pm with AAAA BANDS

Seguin

Birdville

Legacy

Timberview

break

AAAAA 5:45 pm

Martin

Richland

Arlington

Mansfield

Bowie

break

7:45 pm

Summit

Haltom

Lamar

Sam Houston

Trinity

LD Bell

UTA Exhibition

9:20 pm RESULTS

Don't rely on my typing though, for details go here:

http://www.uilforms.com/regions/5/SCHEDULE...chgSchedule.pdf

Did anybody think to maybe send someone out there to live-blog it (Xenon)? Or at the very least, will we have reviews when all is said and done? Or is it soon enough after HEB for an additional set of reviews to be unnecessary?

I was working tonight, otherwise I would have been there.

All I know from Region 19 is that Channelview advanced to the 5A area F competition :)

Can anyone explain why there are two Region 19 contests? I thought the one for tonight, which combined regions 17 & 19 (I'm assuming because of Ike), was the area qualifier, but I saw a schedule for November 8th that was only region 19 on UIL. Can someone clarify?

Advancing from Regions 17 and 19...

Clear Lake

Clear Brook

Clear Creek

Brazoswood

Alvin

Northshore

Channelview

Pasadena Rayburn

Dickinson

Pasadena Memorial

Pearland

Aldine McArthur

Deer Park

Can anyone explain why there are two Region 19 contests? I thought the one for tonight, which combined regions 17 & 19 (I'm assuming because of Ike), was the area qualifier, but I saw a schedule for November 8th that was only region 19 on UIL. Can someone clarify?

I think the November 8th UIL is for 4A.

Edited by DrumMajorly09

i dont get it...so for area B are they sending 6 or 5 bands to state?

Area B has 27 participants. Therefore, they are sending five to State. If you have 15 or more participants in an Area, you take one band for every five bands that competes in Prelims. The Area Thread that is pinned in this Forum has all of the answers.