Area D Marching Contest

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, I am a color guard member from Bowie, and I just wanted to say that I appreciated the person who reconized the guard, and how far we have come from last year! I am really proud our team this year, and Congrats and good luck to all the finalists and I will see you at state!

P.S. personally i thought Round Rock should have advanced.

GO MR. Markham

wow tori, doodd haha you spell his name wrong!!!

tard....

haha gah but i totally agree, they were pretty ballin' too! i must say! haha(o:

Great job to all the bands that competed last saturday and to all the bands that are going on and all the bands who arent... : / i garantee every single band left everything on the field. I go to Churchill and i just saw the cedar park and i was pretty impressed yalls medea is pretty awesome although its completely different from ours. lol if im correct yall are using the arrangment from the 1993 star of indiana.. ;) yall guys keep up the good work and see yall at state ;)

P.S. watch this video of last years show if u didnt know we did a tribute to the war in iraq last year which was pretty inspirational but this we took a completely different turn this year with going with "symphonic schizophrenia" which is a completely insane compilations of crazy music and drill

"last years show" the story courtesy of the express news ; )

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player...ctid=1287028241

Great job to all the bands that competed last saturday and to all the bands that are going on and all the bands who arent... : / i garantee every single band left everything on the field. I go to Churchill and i just saw the cedar park and i was pretty impressed yalls medea is pretty awesome although its completely different from ours. lol if im correct yall are using the arrangment from the 1993 star of indiana.. ;) yall guys keep up the good work and see yall at state ;)

P.S. watch this video of last years show if u didnt know we did a tribute to the war in iraq last year which was pretty inspirational but this we took a completely different turn this year with going with "symphonic schizophrenia" which is a completely insane compilations of crazy music and drill

"last years show" the story courtesy of the express news ; )

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player...ctid=1287028241

yeah, I'm think CP's Medea is a lot stronger than ours. I'm not sure how much slower they do it than us, but not much. Regardless, theirs is cleaner and more blended. And has a bigger sound. But ours isn't that bad either ;)

A fewvideos I found of performances...

Akins -

New Braunfels -

Westlake -

MacArthur (early season) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35BplGIzxQ

Two Austin, two San Antonio :) It's nice to see how many good bands we have in Area D. Enjoy!

oh! and an up and coming band you will hear a lot more about in the future imho as a future 4A State Finalist

Cibbolo Steele -

Edited by Shadow Weaver

if the guy from churchill wanted to know,

we start 180, then progress to 186, and near the end we speed it up to 198.

its pretty insane, haha.

and ya, great job to all the bands that went.

sorry to those from georgetown and connally, i know both worked extremely hard this season.

Originally we were gonna do Medea at 184 then speed up to 210.

That ain't happenin. So we're about at yalls tempos. Our accelerando isn't quite as smooth as yalls, though.

Btw, have you seen Star of Indiana do their Medea? Also check out a version they did with Blast. There's a video of them rehearsing it inside a gym, and they push it up to 230! Realy crazy

Originally we were gonna do Medea at 184 then speed up to 210.

That ain't happenin. So we're about at yalls tempos. Our accelerando isn't quite as smooth as yalls, though.

Btw, have you seen Star of Indiana do their Medea? Also check out a version they did with Blast. There's a video of them rehearsing it inside a gym, and they push it up to 230! Realy crazy

Star of Indiana's Medea is CRAZY fast! Our director let us listen to a recording of it, and I've seen the youtube video. It's epic.

Just a note about area D...6 of the 7 Area finalists that went to BOA SA made it into finals in San Antonio (the one not making it being Akins, which surprised everyone I think). Now I know BOA and UIL are two completely different scoring systems, but seeing Area D with 6 of the 14 finalists and 3 of the top 5, was pretty awesome last night.

Keep in mind that there were a lot of high caliber bands that were not in attendance though.

Does it really matter? Why does everyone have to bring this up when different bands make it to finals? No one knows the What if but I don't want that to take away from any success from anyone last night. You just don't know. But what you do know is that the hearts of every single one of those band members that competed this past weekend was out there. Who cares how the results came out? Who cares about bands that didn't come? I'm sorry but I just think that is the most stupid argument ever. You judge who was there not who wasn't.

Does it really matter?

Yes.

Why does everyone have to bring this up when different bands make it to finals?

Because it makes a difference.

No one knows the What if but I don't want that to take away from any success from anyone last night.

That was not my intention. You just decided that I was trying to be negative. I'm just trying to point out that State is gonna be a whole different animal. This is after all the UIL thread, not the BOA thread.

You just don't know. But what you do know is that the hearts of every single one of those band members that competed this past weekend was out there.

I said congrats to all of them. They all deserved their spots.

Who cares how the results came out?

You do obviously.

Who cares about bands that didn't come?

Me.

I'm sorry but I just think that is the most stupid argument ever. You judge who was there not who wasn't.

It's not an argument, I'm not sure why you are so contentious. I judged no one. I never said, oh well if Richland were there OBVIOUSLY Reagan would not have made finals. All I said was that Richland wasn't there. My point being they will be at State.

Next time I will be more clear. Way to flame me for nothing.

JBone, you did judge. You did start something. Your earlier post only makes any sense if you were saying the Area D bands wouldn't have done as well if other bands were in attendance. You are downplaying the achievements of the bands that did make finals (especially Area D bands) with your comments.

Yes, there were bands not in attendance that could have made a difference, but everyone that made Finals earned that Finals spot. Yes, we do need to keep other bands in mind when we are thinking of future contests, but that doesn't play into today.

And speaking of flaming. If you think you are getting flamed because you weren't being clear enough, don't fan the flames by breaking it up into multiple quotes and dealing with it line by line, just say that you misstated and then clarify.

Keep in mind that there were a lot of high caliber bands that were not in attendance though.

Not every single high caliber band who regulars a certain contest is going to be there every year. Last year was an amazing year for Texas bands where a lot more bands did various contests, and a whole smattering of Texas bands made the pilgramage to Grand Nationals....this year was more typical. Next year it may be Hebron who decides not to go to San Antonio and Richland will show up instead....or Brazoswood will show up and Westlake won't, or The Woodlands will show up and SFA will stay home. San Antonio last year was a rare lockout for finals, with only one band causing a real upset (Colleyville Heritage).....this year it wasn't quite like that....there were a lot more bands that had a shot at 3 or 4 spots, and in general that's usually how it is.

I know it's been two weeks since the Area D contest, but I thought I would post some recordings I took on my digital recorder of 5 of the 6 bands that made it to the State contest. The quality is pretty decent, about the sound you would expect from a pretty good camcorder, so maybe it will make some of that YouTube audio clearer if you've already found YouTube videos for some of these. Sorry I didn't get you guys, Akins!

In order of finish:

1.) Cedar Park

2.) Bowie

3.) Westlake

5.) Churchill

6.) Vista Ridge

This is truly one of the best (if not THE best area in the state), and I am so glad I was able to attend finals after fulfilling my duties with the Longhorn Band earlier in the day. Special congratulations to Vista Ridge (my high school alma mater) and Cedar Park (the high school most of my middle school ended up going to). Enjoy!

EDIT: I apologize for the train in Vista Ridge's recording...that's not part of their show :P

Edited by VRHSRangerTBone

I know it's been two weeks since the Area D contest, but I thought I would post some recordings I took on my digital recorder of 5 of the 6 bands that made it to the State contest. The quality is pretty decent, about the sound you would expect from a pretty good camcorder, so maybe it will make some of that YouTube audio clearer if you've already found YouTube videos for some of these. Sorry I didn't get you guys, Akins!

In order of finish:

1.) Cedar Park

2.) Bowie

3.) Westlake

5.) Churchill

6.) Vista Ridge

This is truly one of the best (if not THE best area in the state), and I am so glad I was able to attend finals after fulfilling my duties with the Longhorn Band earlier in the day. Special congratulations to Vista Ridge (my high school alma mater) and Cedar Park (the high school most of my middle school ended up going to). Enjoy!

EDIT: I apologize for the train in Vista Ridge's recording...that's not part of their show :P

Thanks! I've been looking for Bowie for a while now!