BOA San Antonio 2008

probably because the way they do things, in september they are still figuring out what their show is going to be so they dont start learning to really late in the season and at BOA finals last year when we were waiting in the lot before we had to line up for retreat, a couple of us were talking to some reagan techs and they said that they were completely changing their show (yes music and marching) before grand nats. i also think the new high school that was built in their district (johnson city i believe) might have to do with it because i heard they have to make freshman march this year which might slow them down a little bit . but who knows. and yet even with the weird way they do things they are always such a powerhouse, i dont get it.

yeah, i saw reagan's show at a halftime, but it was from the sideline. They play Verdi's requiem like Avon did last year, but Reagan does it a whole step lower. They sound pretty clean but they aren't the same since they split and Chambers left. But they are still Reagan for sure. But the school the split into, Johnson, is actually really good. I also saw them from the side. They have a band director that was at churchill forever and a percussion instructer that was in Phantom. I would expect to see Johnson's name up there with the LD Bell, Marcus, Woodlands within a couple years. Remember how fast reagan rose to the top? They got a lot of potential

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i saw reagan's show at a halftime, but it was from the sideline. They play Verdi's requiem like Avon did last year, but Reagan does it a whole step lower. They sound pretty clean but they aren't the same since they split and Chambers left. But they are still Reagan for sure. But the school the split into, Johnson, is actually really good. I also saw them from the side. They have a band director that was at churchill forever and a percussion instructer that was in Phantom. I would expect to see Johnson's name up there with the LD Bell, Marcus, Woodlands within a couple years. Remember how fast reagan rose to the top? They got a lot of potential

Hmm.....I have no doubts Johnson will be a solid all-rounded contender within a few years but putting your money on the idea that they'll be the next Reagan (particularly the old Reagan that dominated BOA the same way Bell and the Woodlands do) is pushing it a bit. I mean look at The Woodlands: College Park under Charlotte Royall and her crew. College Park had all the strength of 'Woodlands flowing into it when they opened, plus a stellar staff under Ms. Royall (who is an astounding teacher, let me tell you) placed at the helm....yet College Park, while no doubt a stellar program, is still no 'Woodlands. A good staff and talented, devoted kids make a good program, but a MONSTER program like Marcus etc. takes much more than that.

Hmm.....I have no doubts Johnson will be a solid all-rounded contender within a few years but putting your money on the idea that they'll be the next Reagan (particularly the old Reagan that dominated BOA the same way Bell and the Woodlands do) is pushing it a bit. I mean look at The Woodlands: College Park under Charlotte Royall and her crew. College Park had all the strength of 'Woodlands flowing into it when they opened, plus a stellar staff under Ms. Royall (who is an astounding teacher, let me tell you) placed at the helm....yet College Park, while no doubt a stellar program, is still no 'Woodlands. A good staff and talented, devoted kids make a good program, but a MONSTER program like Marcus etc. takes much more than that.

Ok, they most likely will never achieve "MONSTER" band status. But I saw both Reagan and Johnson tonight at the NEISD Marching Festival, and Johnson undoubtedly excelled Reagan in all categories. I was very impressed with that brand new school. You're right, it really is too early to tell how great they will get, I suppose.

While we are on the subject of Loveland, I just want to mention again how awesome their 2006 show was at BOA SA. It was extremely emotional and had one of the best drumlines I've ever heard.

They always have a fantastic drumline, you should have seen them last year. I'll be seeing them at the Colorado State contest in two weeks

so is reagan's band any smaller or bigger?

I saw them last night at the NEISD Fall Marching Festival (Reagan/Churchill/Johnson District). Reagan's size is down quite a bit from previous years in all aspects of the program. I'd say they are about 20 or 30 members down from last year.

How is Reagan doing this year? They haven't been too active in the contest circuit thus far. They better than years past? Worse? About the same? I'm curious....

I'll step in here and take this before some people take this opportunity to be disrespectful.

Reagan's opener is Verdi's Requim. I don't remember the second piece but their closer is the Barber of Seville by Rossini. They show off a lot of different marching styles, which can be a good benefit come UIL time. Also, there are some good technical licks in the brass and woodwind parts. With that being said, they have a lot of visual and musical cleaning to do. The drill is difficult and requires a high level of execution for it to look impressive. Musically, I think some dynamic contrast will help bring the melodic parts out. These kids can play. I think they'll be alright, as long as they continue to polish.

I really don't understand why so many of you predict based off of what you see late September/early October.

You have to base predictions off of something and basing them off of the most recent performances just makes sense. Of course, they'll change as the season goes on.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Reagan's show. Verdi's Requiem is one of my favorite pieces of all time and I like the Barber of Seville a lot, too.

I really don't understand why so many of you predict based off of what you see late September/early October.

Well, predictions are altered and changed with every recent performance.

I can't make a prediction now off a show a certain band is going to have in the future because I am not psychic.

What else do we have to predict off of?

It's not like it's going to make a difference, anyway. I am pretty sure a forum won't alter the judges' opinions.

Lol. It's just sort of.. we base it off of what we see now.

When a new competition arises, we will then base it off what we see then.

I hope that made sense..

Not exactly. Keep in mind that BOA and UIL are judge differently. Let's take a look at 2006 for a minute. Out of the 12 Finalists at the 2006 Super Regional, only four of them ended up making State Finals (L.D. Bell, Marcus, Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan). Two programs who didn't make Super Regional Finals went on to make State Finals (Akins, James Bowie).

Different judging systems means anything can happen. With that in mind, consistent performances are crucial to achieving Finalist status in both realms.

A little late on my reply, but... Bowie was one off finals and Akins was off by three in SA. Bowie made Nats that year as well. So really the judging for those two bands was not all that different. Not making finals doesn't mean those bands did poorly at the competition. I know you know that, but the way you said it made me double check who wrote it.

A little late on my reply, but... Bowie was one off finals and Akins was off by three in SA. Bowie made Nats that year as well. So really the judging for those two bands was not all that different. Not making finals doesn't mean those bands did poorly at the competition. I know you know that, but the way you said it made me double check who wrote it.

I was just stating some facts. I'm not saying they did poorly. It's just interesting to see how results can change from system to system.

I'll step in here and take this before some people take this opportunity to be disrespectful.

Reagan's opener is Verdi's Requim. I don't remember the second piece but their closer is the Barber of Seville by Rossini. They show off a lot of different marching styles, which can be a good benefit come UIL time. Also, there are some good technical licks in the brass and woodwind parts. With that being said, they have a lot of visual and musical cleaning to do. The drill is difficult and requires a high level of execution for it to look impressive. Musically, I think some dynamic contrast will help bring the melodic parts out. These kids can play. I think they'll be alright, as long as they continue to polish.

lol...sorry its just that i love the Reagan Band alot!

they always have the best shows, and well i didnt get to see them at BOA Houston so i was just wondering.