[Major Event] BOA Arlington, TX Regional - October 4, 2008

Am I the only one who wasnt very fond of Hebrons show? They had somewhat ok music/visual but not that great IMO. didnt get the theme with the eyes either.

Best sounding bands where Marcus Berkner and Cedar Park. Visual Marcus and CP.

Legacy was by far a crowd favorite. Kinda made me like a school girl again. I loved how the trumpets used the mutes during that one section. That was the coolest sound Ive ever heard. I would like to see more from this band and it will not be easy, but they can push and survive. They have excellent potential. But each band has to show great attention to detail from music, to even making the white "tents" in a straight line lol

I agree with the Hebron statement.

I think part of it is the show lacks that luster the past two years have had.. so we as the audience were somewhat spoiled and now don't have that.

I agree with the Hebron statement.

I think part of it is the show lacks that luster the past two years have had.. so we as the audience were somewhat spoiled and now don't have that.

i enjoyed hebrons show a lot.

those creepy little breaks towards the end that sound like x files? or something were really tight

it looked so cool

yeah!

they moved more and pre lims though

so i was kinda idssapointed when they didnt move as much in finals hahaha

I just missed them in prelims. I worked until 3 and then had trouble finding parking. Haha.

I wonder why that is? Maybe in Prelims the judges said something about it.

I managed to get to see Colleyville, though. Their show was VERY intruiging. I think when they get it finished it's going to be a very good show.

It was weird not having them in finals.

I just missed them in prelims. I worked until 3 and then had trouble finding parking. Haha.

I wonder why that is? Maybe in Prelims the judges said something about it.

I managed to get to see Colleyville, though. Their show was VERY intruiging. I think when they get it finished it's going to be a very good show.

It was weird not having them in finals.

ah i missed colleyville

yeah i think legacy barely beat them out?

from what i hear.

id like to see it though

While you're here, I have a question.

Does having an unfinished show affect placement or score in comparrison to a show that is finished?

It certainly plays a part, but Colleyville was not the only band to have an incomplete show. Marcus and Connally only made it through their ballads.

There are penalties for having too short of a show, but BOA decided not to enforce those penalties for the early contests due to the natural disasters this year like Hurricane Ike.

lol, our director posted both the spreadsheets on our whiteboard, so I have already seen them. I know 7-11th place in prelims were very tight, and we Connally were only a little over a point more than collyville (i believe), and we were 7th and they were 11th. Finals however, only one point seperated us, Coppell, and Mansfield. (thats all I really remember, sry was just trying to see how we fit in the picture)

Some Highlights:

Prelims:

- Nobody received any penalties.

- Colleyville Heritage was 0.25 out of Finals.

- Only 0.50 separated 9th (Aledo), 10th (Legacy), and 11th (Colleyville Heritage).

- All top 10 Prelims GE scores made it into finals except Colleyville Heritage. Aledo (13th in GE) used their Visual score (1.05 ahead of Colleyville) to vault them into Finals.

Finals:

- The difference between Marcus' and Cedar Park's total Music scores went from 1.05 (prelims) to 0.05 (finals).

- The difference between Marcus' and Cedar Park's total GE scores went from 1.60 (prelims) to 0.20 (finals).

- Finals rankings was determined solely by GE except for 9th and 10th places.

- Although Marcus won all the captions, they only won 3 of the 8 sub-captions (MusInd, VisEns, and GEVis).

Prelims Placements:

1. Marcus

2. Cedar Park

3. Hebron

4. Coppell

5. Berkner

6. Mansfield

7. Connally

8. Martin

9. Aledo

10. Legacy

---------

11. Colleyville Heritage

12. Georgetown

13. Westmoore

14. Leander

Prelims Subcaptions:

Music Individual - Marcus

Music Ensemble - Marcus

Visual Individual - Marcus

Visual Ensemble - Marcus

Music General Effect 1 - Cedar Park

Music General Effect 2 - Marcus

Visual General Effect - Marcus

Prelims Caption Rankings:

Music Performance

1. Marcus

2. Cedar Park

3. Hebron

Visual Performance

1. Marcus

2. Hebron

3. Cedar Park

General Effect

1. Marcus

2. Cedar Park

3. Coppell

Finals Subcaptions:

Music Individual - Marcus

Music Ensemble - Cedar Park

Visual Individual - Cedar Park

Visual Ensemble - Marcus

Music General Effect 1 - Cedar Park

Music General Effect 2 - Cedar Park

Visual General Effect - Marcus

Finals Caption Rankings:

Music Performance

1. Marcus

2. Cedar Park

3. Hebron

Visual Performance

1. Marcus

2. Hebron

3. Cedar Park

General Effect

1. Marcus

2. Cedar Park

3. Hebron

Wow....Marcus destroyed Cedar Park in prelims (4.3 point gap). It was a much closer fight in finals though.

I also noticed we haven't had any bands get a division II rating and still make finals in Texas since the La Joya and Houston Regionals in 2005. Legacy, Aledo, Connally and Martin all got div IIs and still made finals this year.

Prelims Top 10 Scores:

1. Marcus - 82.75

2. Cedar Park - 78.45

3. Hebron - 76.65

4. Coppell - 75.95

5. Berkner - 75.15

6. Mansfield - 72.55

7. Connally - 68.60

8. Martin - 68.50

9. Aledo - 67.85

10. Legacy - 67.60

Large gaps separated 1st through 6th place. Log jam between 7th through 10th place.

Some Highlights:

Prelims:

- Nobody received any penalties.

- Colleyville Heritage was 0.25 out of Finals.

- Only 0.50 separated 9th (Aledo), 10th (Legacy), and 11th (Colleyville Heritage).

- All top 10 Prelims GE scores made it into finals except Colleyville Heritage. Aledo (13th in GE) used their Visual score (1.05 ahead of Colleyville) to vault them into Finals.

Finals:

- The difference between Marcus' and Cedar Park's total Music scores went from 1.05 (prelims) to 0.05 (finals).

- The difference between Marcus' and Cedar Park's total GE scores went from 1.60 (prelims) to 0.20 (finals).

- Finals rankings was determined solely by GE except for 9th and 10th places.

- Although Marcus won all the captions, they only won 3 of the 8 sub-captions (MusInd, VisEns, and GEVis).

We did get a warning though. Something to do with our pit.

Our placing is depressing :(

It certainly plays a part, but Colleyville was not the only band to have an incomplete show. Marcus and Connally only made it through their ballads.

There are penalties for having too short of a show, but BOA decided not to enforce those penalties for the early contests due to the natural disasters this year like Hurricane Ike.

Oh I see.

Well the reason I asked is because while Marcus didn't have the full show, it was still pretty lengthy. Colleyville's seemed very short so I was curious as to if that affected if they made it in or not.

Lol, thanks. That sheds a huge light on everything for me.

What is Colleyville Heritage's show this year?

Here is what I wrote on the TxBLive Blog from BOA Arlington:

Colleyville Heritage - Arrhythmia. This is a really cool show overall, but it is both extremely dirty and incomplete. They have a preshow entrance involving heartbeats, backfield brass chords, and the band beating in the form and correct timing of 4 chambers of the heart. Ensemble drill is really messy but would probably be pretty effective if it were cleaned up. I really like the light trumpet play that is constantly being interrupted by the hard heartbeat of lowbrass open hits. The guard even has arteries for equipment that they stick their arms in and link together to form a whole vein system.

They probably only played 4:00 of their show. I wonder what is with all the Heart shows this year (Colleyville, Mansfield, Martin).

Here is what I wrote on the TxBLive Blog from BOA Arlington:

They probably only played 4:00 of their show. I wonder what is with all the Heart shows this year (Colleyville, Mansfield, Martin).

I was wondering the same thing.

I think it is pure coincidence..

The same thing happens at WGI each year. You have like a billion guards using the same song or with the same/similar concept.