• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now how in the heck could a legitimacy issue rise over a crappy youtube recording of a band performance at a high school football game? What possible legal ramifications could arise from that?

Not like I'm complaining (obviously because I can still watch the video on Youtube)....more curious.

It was a user affiliated with LDB who requested it to be taken down. Since posting links to other sites is not directly against our site policy, we decided to go back to the original post with the link to the youtube video. (Before we had downloaded the source from youtube and posted it in our library)

To answer your question directly, no, we didn't remove it out of concern of a legal issue, but rather to respect the request of the LD Bell band program. Since our intention is to serve the entire marching band community (both the enthusiasts and the parents/students/directors) we decided going back to the youtube link would put TxBands in a more neutral position over the validity of this early-season video being posted against the wishes of the program.

Okay I'm confused. What's the difference between having a link to youtube vs. the link from the media library?

Also....

So it doesn't seem like the TXBands is playing "favorites" on the website. If we're going to be posting videos of bands, we might as well put up everyone's. If Band A's video is on the website, a person from Band B will start complaining and be like, "Why isn't our video up there? That's not fair."

It's best for everyone if the website stays neutral.

Just my 2 cents.

I LOVE how the show opens. L.D. Bell is known for their excellent marching technique, so it's cool that it looks like they're doing a basics block during the beginning of the show. I can't wait to see the show progress as the season continues. Almost a month left until BOA Houston....I can't wait.

This is going to be great. I really like the opener a lot. But those electronic sounds have quite a bit of depth for synthetic sounds, I hope they weren't sampled (or in other words: recorded).

Guard uniforms are awesome and I like their little Q-looking accessories.

Rain forest sounds would be pretty hard to make on a synth using nothing but square waves and sine waves. The high end synths that they have in their pit have a lot of prerecorded sounds like that built in. Not sure if you have heard of the yamaha motif XS, but its got a lot of great string/organ sounds. They're also using a Korg Triton and some Juno D's (or G's?)

They're all very high quality boards...I don't see the harm in having something sampled.

I think they are on their way to being the first band to win 5a state and Grand Nationals in the same year. How amazing would that be?

I've always thought that such an accomplishment would be impossible, considering that the UIL and BOA systems are completely different. If it will ever happen, it must happen this year. They're doing well so far, but I'm not about to jump the gun, if only to stave off any sort of superstitious jinx.

They're all very high quality boards...I don't see the harm in having something sampled.

I don't either....except I think that it's illegal in BOA:

5.01 - All music from traditional wind and percussion instruments, human voices or electronic instruments, must be performed by a student(s) live and in real time with the student(s) present

and performing at the time of the Performance. The use of sampled sounds

(

I think it is legal in both UIL and BOA to use prerecorded/sampled sounds so long as they are initiated by a student (e.g. via keyboard) and they aren't instruments. For instance, a band could use prerecorded bird chirps in the closer of Pines of Rome (there is an original record disk used for this during live concerts).

Also, it would be interesting to know when the "human voices" part was put into the BOA rules. Reagan 2005 ("You Never Know") had a prerecorded sound byte from Napolean Dynamite ("Do the chicken have large talons?").

I think it is legal in both UIL and BOA to use prerecorded/sampled sounds so long as they are initiated by a student (e.g. via keyboard) and they aren't instruments. For instance, a band could use prerecorded bird chirps in the closer of Pines of Rome (there is an original record disk used for this during live concerts).

Also, it would be interesting to know when the "human voices" part was put into the BOA rules. Reagan 2005 ("You Never Know") had a prerecorded sound byte from Napolean Dynamite ("Do the chicken have large talons?").

I remember that part in their show, always made the audience laugh. As for the pre-recorded sounds, I think as long as a student is initiating the sound when it is needed to be played during the show. I'm fine with it.