Woodwinds in DCI?

treblemaker

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodwinds belong in drum corps. jk lol

Well they should start up a professional marching band league thing, since a lot drum corp people act so ignorant towards woodwinds.

Do you mean act ignorant towards woodwinds in the sense that they don't feel they belong in DCI? I agree, start up a pro marching band thing, not because people are so 'ignorant' but to appease both sides.

Alright. Now that I've read this thread from top to bottom and realize that people really like our Multi-Quote feature, I figured I would chime in and have a take.

Should woodwinds be in DCI? Probably not.............but I understand.

I'm going to attempt to inject a little more beef into the thread. Mmmmmmmm, hot beef injections. Sounds dirty. No, throwing the I word around does not count as a credible argument. Let's break it down into two categories.

Visual - Like I've stated before, the visual aspect of Drum Corps is one of the reasons the activity is so unique. Drum corps hornlines look very streamlined, on the move and at rest. In addition to better staff and greater talent, forms looks cleaner on the field with a Drum Corps because everyone is carrying similar instruments. Also, there is just something about a Drum Corps hornline that just screams power! Yes, they play loud. I'm sure everyone here loves blasting a show out of our cars. However, I think we often forget how powerful the Drum Corps hornline looks. You just don't get that same visual power with a woodwind instrument.

Psychological - Another reason why the Drum Corps activity is so unique is because it is an exclusive activity. How exclusive is it? There are some band directors that simply won't let their students do Drum Corps. Maybe it's because they are afraid their students will come back with massive heads and busted chops. I don't know, but that example speaks to the facts that instrumentation and talent level make the activity unique. Consider the following: When a friend of ours tells us that he/she is going to march in Drum Corps over the Summer, the reaction that follows is usually one of Awe. Why? Because we know that Drum Corps involves a ridiculous amount of work. Also, we know that the instrumentation of the activity makes Drum Corps have that little extra bit of mystique. Band students do Drum Corps because it offers a different experience than what they would get marching in their high school programs. If you add woodwinds to Drum Corps, those students might feel that the experience is slightly soured because the activity loses a bit of its exclusivity.

Should woodwinds be in DCI? Probably not................but I understand.

"Woodwinds aren't as loud as brass instruments so that's why they can't be in Drum Corps." That used to be true but guess what? We have amplification now! There are some marching bands that actually amp select woodwind players and mix those sounds into the speakers up front. With the technology we have now, the idea of strapping wireless mics to multiple woodwind players on the field and mixing the sounds isn't so far-fetched.

I don't recognize the need to integrate woodwinds into Drum Corps. I don't see hoards of woodwind players breaking down the doors of Dan Acheson's office to demand some sort of Title IX spin-off. With that said, the integration of woodwinds in the activity has already begun, and it started with the implementation of amps in 2004. In 2005, saxophone, flute, and clarinet players were allowed to compete in the DCI Individual and Ensemble Competition for the very first time. Ironically, the amp issue seemed to be far more polarizing than allowing woodwinds in the I&E contest. In the upcoming 2009 season, DCI will allow electronics to be used on the field. Slowly, the Drum Corps instrumentation is morphing into what we see at UIL, BOA, USSBA, ISSMA, OMEA, KMEA, WBA, SCBOA, and MCBA. Me thinks that eventually, DCI wants to make the activity have all-inclusive instrumentation.

How do I really feel about woodwinds in Drum Corps? I'm not exactly sure but what a sight it would be if woodwinds were integrated into the Drum Corps society.

I can see it now......The woodwind players would line up just outside of the high school where Spring Training is being held. And The Governor of the respective State would send in the National Guard to block the entrance. And picket signs would litter the walkway, telling woodwinds to get their "own" activity to march in. Our President would have to step in, enforce integration, and provide protection to those reed-toting musicians. Of course, this is all tongue-in-cheek, wrapped up in a horrible pun.

Should woodwinds be in DCI? Probably not...............but I understand.

Alright. Now that I've read this thread from top to bottom and realize that people really like our Multi-Quote feature, I figured I would chime in and have a take.

Should woodwinds be in DCI? Probably not.............but I understand.

I'm going to attempt to inject a little more beef into the thread. Mmmmmmmm, hot beef injections. Sounds dirty. No, throwing the I word around does not count as a credible argument. Let's break it down into two categories.

Visual - Like I've stated before, the visual aspect of Drum Corps is one of the reasons the activity is so unique. Drum corps hornlines look very streamlined, on the move and at rest. In addition to better staff and greater talent, forms looks cleaner on the field with a Drum Corps because everyone is carrying similar instruments. Also, there is just something about a Drum Corps hornline that just screams power! Yes, they play loud. I'm sure everyone here loves blasting a show out of our cars. However, I think we often forget how powerful the Drum Corps hornline looks. You just don't get that same visual power with a woodwind instrument.

Psychological - Another reason why the Drum Corps activity is so unique is because it is an exclusive activity. How exclusive is it? There are some band directors that simply won't let their students do Drum Corps. Maybe it's because they are afraid their students will come back with massive heads and busted chops. I don't know, but that example speaks to the facts that instrumentation and talent level make the activity unique. Consider the following: When a friend of ours tells us that he/she is going to march in Drum Corps over the Summer, the reaction that follows is usually one of Awe. Why? Because we know that Drum Corps involves a ridiculous amount of work. Also, we know that the instrumentation of the activity makes Drum Corps have that little extra bit of mystique. Band students do Drum Corps because it offers a different experience than what they would get marching in their high school programs. If you add woodwinds to Drum Corps, those students might feel that the experience is slightly soured because the activity loses a bit of its exclusivity.

Should woodwinds be in DCI? Probably not................but I understand.

"Woodwinds aren't as loud as brass instruments so that's why they can't be in Drum Corps." That used to be true but guess what? We have amplification now! There are some marching bands that actually amp select woodwind players and mix those sounds into the speakers up front. With the technology we have now, the idea of strapping wireless mics to multiple woodwind players on the field and mixing the sounds isn't so far-fetched.

I don't recognize the need to integrate woodwinds into Drum Corps. I don't see hoards of woodwind players breaking down the doors of Dan Acheson's office to demand some sort of Title IX spin-off. With that said, the integration of woodwinds in the activity has already begun, and it started with the implementation of amps in 2004. In 2005, saxophone, flute, and clarinet players were allowed to compete in the DCI Individual and Ensemble Competition for the very first time. Ironically, the amp issue seemed to be far more polarizing than allowing woodwinds in the I&E contest. In the upcoming 2009 season, DCI will allow electronics to be used on the field. Slowly, the Drum Corps instrumentation is morphing into what we see at UIL, BOA, USSBA, ISSMA, OMEA, KMEA, WBA, SCBOA, and MCBA. Me thinks that eventually, DCI wants to make the activity have all-inclusive instrumentation.

How do I really feel about woodwinds in Drum Corps? I'm not exactly sure but what a sight it would be if woodwinds were integrated into the Drum Corps society.

I can see it now......The woodwind players would line up just outside of the high school where Spring Training is being held. And The Governor of the respective State would send in the National Guard to block the entrance. And picket signs would litter the walkway, telling woodwinds to get their "own" activity to march in. Our President would have to step in, enforce integration, and provide protection to those reed-toting musicians. Of course, this is all tongue-in-cheek, wrapped up in a horrible pun.

Should woodwinds be in DCI? Probably not...............but I understand.

Another point to be raised: Just because woodwinds MIGHT be able to do DCI one day doesn't mean that any particular corps would march any. Not every corps is opting to use electric keyboards despite their legalization, so maybe some corps would opt not to march woodwinds, either.

I suppose I can take some comfort in that thought.

Another point to be raised: Just because woodwinds MIGHT be able to do DCI one day doesn't mean that any particular corps would march any. Not every corps is opting to use electric keyboards despite their legalization, so maybe some corps would opt not to march woodwinds, either.

I suppose I can take some comfort in that thought.

Just like some corps can be sexist and not allow girls in.

Just like some corps can be sexist and not allow girls in.

SARCASM ON

It's not like those corps started as boy scout troops and wish for that history to continue. It's not like people respect tradition and like to see it continue.

SARCASM OFF

xenon, I know your a super mod and everything and I don't mean to be offensive, but If you look at the sarcasm that I said and take the "it's not like" 's out; you'll see my stance on that.

EDIT: if anybody wants to just see my point without my terrible sense of humor, read this...

If I remember correctly those corps started as boy scout troops and wish for that history to continue. A lot of people respect them for that including me.

Edited by adam12343210

SARCASM ON

It's not like those corps started as boy scout troops and wish for that history to continue. It's not like people respect tradition and like to see it continue.

SARCASM OFF

xenon, I know your a super mod and everything and I don't mean to be offensive, but If you look at the sarcasm that I said and take the "it's not like" 's out; you'll see my stance on that.

You make a valid point but Lordy, I think my Jerk Meter just exploded. I love your program but I think we have bad luck on this site with Vista Ridge tenor players.

Do you mean act ignorant towards woodwinds in the sense that they don't feel they belong in DCI? I agree, start up a pro marching band thing, not because people are so 'ignorant' but to appease both sides.

I'm not saying people are ignorant because they think woodwinds shouldn't be in DCI. I've just heard some of the ignorant and derogatory comments made to woodwind players in the conversation of DCI.

You make a valid point but Lordy, I think my Jerk Meter just exploded. I love your program but I think we have bad luck on this site with Vista Ridge tenor players.

I even said no offense :(... I'm sorry if I came across as a jerk. And as for the sarcasm thing, I'm just trying to make it obvious that I was using sarcasm... I don't want to cause another misunderstanding like in the state thread...

Again I'm not trying to offend anybody in anyway. If I did offend anybody then I apologize. Do not think of Vista Ridge as a worse program or anything of the sort because of my out of taste way of making a point.

Edited by adam12343210

I even said no offense :(... I'm sorry if I came across as a jerk. And as for the sarcasm thing, I'm just trying to make it obvious that I was using sarcasm... I don't want to cause another misunderstanding like in the state thread...

Again I'm not trying to offend anybody in anyway. If I did offend anybody then I apologize. Do not think of Vista Ridge as a worse program or anything of the sort because of my out of taste way of making a point.

All good. It just brings back old memories

*watches the hole being dug*

The hole is for my adobe construction. Please give me a brake.

The hole is for my adobe construction. Please give me a brake.

Are you using a lime-based cement for your plaster? I mean, to protect against rain damage.

You're one to talk.

Examples?

Be nice. At least he marched drum corps

Then should I bow down to the greatness of people who have marched DCI?

Maybe he means people usually are bit nicer/respectful to those who have done something they aspire to do?

• 3 weeks later...