Woodwinds in DCI?

treblemaker

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is up to perception.

I mean, I can't sit here and speak for all the woodwind players out there in saying that none of them want to do drum corps. Do I know any woodwind players who want to do drum corps? Yes. I know one, and she learned Mello so she could do it.

Do I think they should be integrated into Drum Corps? No.

I think it has been explained countless times throughout this thread that adding woodwinds threatens visual, sound, appearance, and tradition. I agree, completely. Drum Corps. has been around for year and never has it used woodwinds on the field. I think it would be really bogus to break a tradition like that. He put what I feel into words. All brass and no woodwinds is what makes the activity unique. It sets it apart from high school marching band. When people decide to want to do Drum Corps, that is probably(possibly) one of those things that attracts them. It's a step up from hs.

I don't think the demand for woodwinds in Drum Corps. is high enough or will any time soon be high enough to influence their addition into the activity. I mean, I know quite a few directors who refuse to expose their students to DCI, or even BOA and WGI for that matter. So perhaps if more people knew about it, there would be more woodwinds wanting to do it, and more demand for them to be added.

Now, I have to admit I can see why woodwind players would feel a little cheated.

Brass, Drumline, and Colorguard all have DCI and BOA.

Colorguard has WGI(guard).

Drumline has WGI(percussion).

Brass has DCI.

I don't think woodwinds have any unique organization for them. So I can see why woodwind players would feel upset.

Sorry, just rambling.

Because that's totally equivalent to DCI...

Go do the Disney marching band over summer. Still an awesome experience, same time frame as drum corps, same style performance more or less, get to do clinics with awesome musicians, live at Disney world (or land? the one in california) get paid $400 a week.

Go do the Disney marching band over summer. Still an awesome experience, same time frame as drum corps, same style performance more or less, get to do clinics with awesome musicians, live at Disney world (or land? the one in california) get paid $400 a week.

I have never heard of that. D: