well, yeah for soloists.

I also think that say the clarinets and flutes have a feature and the brass are playing as well (like in Ride by Samule Hazo), you could amplify a player or two to actually hear the part, but only for that section.

agreed...

but once again... how can you ensure that those players aren't just going over the speakers the entire time?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed...

but once again... how can you ensure that those players aren't just going over the speakers the entire time?

yeah well we never did that.

yeah it just sounds retarded hearing woodwinds that loud, esspeically one or two players, its pretty easy to tell.

anytime we needed to feature the woodwinds or small groups as a whole we just pulled them up to the front sideline

or even off of it to a stationary mic

UIL used to have a rule that prohibited amped soloists unless they were in the pit area. I'm not sure if this rule still exists because I did not see it in the UIL Constitution. Sanchez could probably shine some light on this.

All I know is that there hasn't been such a rule in place since at least 2000 (Duncanville had a wireless wandering flute solo) if there ever was one.

I don't know if it would be that unfair of an advantage. The amplification of a couple woodwind players has an entirely different color than hearing an entire umic'd section at a softer volume. I don't think it would be as appealing for the entire ensemble. The part being amplified would sound really thin, (because you have a single instrumental voice receiving heavy pronounciation within its section) not to mention robotic, and would stand out from the other woodwind sections that don't have mics. You'd have to amplify every woodwind section and you would have to use several mics per section to make it sound consistent, but even still, having that much electronic presence would really wash out the sound of your hornline.

It's tricky business, but yes, the schools with the mics will have the advantage.

I love electronics. If it makes the crowd go " :o This is marching band? " ,then I'm all for it. I search Youtube for the most electronic-intensive shows I can find. The heaviest I've found are Westfield's last couple years worth of stuff (especially Westfield '04, gawd -_- ). Of course that's just for fun.....my favorite shows are still the ones that use electronics wisely and to good effect.

But I can see how it can get out of control. It's easy to get into the mentality that victory goes to the one with the most toys. Pretty soon schools will have to start allocating their budget to more..."unconventional" means. I'm talking about contracting wizards, psychics and alchemists into their design constituent. Yup.....soon, if your show doesn't have an erupting volcano, earthquakes, tempestal winds and a score of the heavenly host adding meat to the vocal colouration component of your pit, then you can forget those crucial GE points. And if you don't have your entire Colorguard airborn during the entire duration of said show, you can kiss that guard caption goodbye because EVERYONE else will be doing just that!

Edited by takigan

Haha, my shows theme was already posted.. on my birthday no less.

But, my boyfriends in The Woodlands Band, if I didn't think he'd shoot me for sharing their theme, I would.

I will tell you that I'm kind of iffy about it. It's something I'm going to need to see before I decide if I like it or not.

Oh well, they can't do much worse then Sequenza, in my opinion.

Haha, well.. my "significant other" already knows my reasons for not liking Seqeunza.. he got over my opinion of it.

I didn't think it was original for them after Numbers..

Both had voice overs, both drills formed numbers on the field, both had big number themed props...

But it's just my opinion.

Edited by sakuradanc

Haha, well.. my "significant other" already knows my reasons for not liking Seqeunza.. he got over my opinion of it.

I didn't think it was original for them after Numbers..

Both had voice overs, both drills formed numbers on the field, both had big number themed props...

But it's just my opinion.

Sequenza... a sequence of numbers? Of course it be based off numbers I don't think that makes it unoriginal

Sequenza... a sequence of numbers? Of course it be based off numbers I don't think that makes it unoriginal

I think she's referring to Woodlands' 2004 show (at least I think it was their 2004 show *is too lazy to look*) which was also based on the theme of numbers.

okay, so I misunderstood, apparently we have 4 different shows this year.

One is Bohemian Rhapsody.

2nd is called Move it On.

3rd is a medley of Journey music.

And our State show, Groove!, has a tango for an opener, "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap for our ballad, and a Krump style dance for our closer, and mixed in with all of these we will have a running techno theme.