• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's called Lincolnshire Posey...I could be wrong, though

Anyway, I miss concert band! I was listening to the 2nd movement of "Second Suite in F" and wanted to cry because I played the clarinet solo as a sophomore. I hope I made a spot in the UT Wind Symphony, but I bombed my audtion and I heard how badly I played, so I probably didn't. Ugh.

Anyone know what other contests there are for concert bands that aren't competing in the honor band competition this year? My director has been talking about this Texas State Wind Ensemble contest thing. I've never heard of it and I can't find anything about it online, though.

We did that thingy last year, its pretty cool, but nothing major. You preform your concert program (we did our UIL program) in the UT Bates Recital Hall and then get an hour clinic over the music, and as a requirement of going, you must listen to two other bands. Not too many bands participated (us and Vista were the only 4A last year) but it is cool to play in Bates, and last year the whole thing was on a live stream over the internet.

We did that thingy last year, its pretty cool, but nothing major. You preform your concert program (we did our UIL program) in the UT Bates Recital Hall and then get an hour clinic over the music, and as a requirement of going, you must listen to two other bands. Not too many bands participated (us and Vista were the only 4A last year) but it is cool to play in Bates, and last year the whole thing was on a live stream over the internet.

Bleh, I figured it was something like that. Oh well, contests are fun nonetheless. I just wish there was a major competition for concert season other than the TMEA honor band that you can only participate in every other year.

Our band director is fluctuating for what to do with the wind ensemble. First we were going to do Lincolnshire Posy and Rocky Point Holiday...then we were going to do Lincolnshire and something else...now we've got a bunch of ideas thrown in, centering around whether we do Redline Tango OR Lincolnshire OR both.

The band voted (sans percussion, because pit meets during Wind Ensemble's period, and I'm the only person who's both in pit AND wind ensemble), by a score of 18 to 17, to do Redline if we had to choose (I was the deciding vote)...the rest of the percussion guys voted Redline as well...so probably definitely doing Redline.

right now, we might be playing "Watchman Tell Us of the Night" by Camphouse. this will be either instead of "Molly on the Shore" (which we'd better play at some point in time this year, if it be the spring concert) or along with Molly.

Wouldn't that be something? Performing BOTH Watchman and Molly. haha.

for our christmas concert we're doing

the glory of the yankee navy by sousa

blue shades by ticheli

and of course....sleigh ride.

for our next concert we're playing bagatelles for band, (i think) sleep, and a pretty new one that i think is called the red machine. but i might have heard wrong. idk.

Poteet's holiday concert was last night, at which they performed four pieces from their 2008 honor band program:

"Commando March," Samuel Barber

"Fiesta del Pacifico," Roger Nixon

"Shadow Rituals," Michael Markowski (new to the the UIL Prescribed Music List this year)

"Shortcut Home," Dana Wilson (also new to the PML)

In February, they will also be performing John Mackey's "Strange Humors" and 2-3 other pieces. I'll post what they are when I find out.

P.S.: Does anyone know what Marcus is playing at Midwest? I've been wondering about that for a couple of days...

Edited by Donezo

no clue, but our director's going. It'll be really cool for them, they totally deserve it.

The Centennial Symphony Orchestra is playing Rhapsody in Blue, Nimrod, and Hoedown for their spring concert. EVERYBODY IN THE dALLAS Ft. WORTh AREa IS INVITED!

Nimrod is amazing. I loved playing Enigma Variations last year. Rhapsody in Blue is another of my favorite pieces. I might have to go to that concert.

for our christmas concert tomorow top band is playing

sleigh ride

christmas with mozart

a christmas festival

a stocking full of composers

second band is playing

we three kings- epic fantasy

trombones on the housetop

at christmas time

and im playing with both bands... it should be fun....

A Christmas with Mozart and A Stocking full of Composers sounds like very interesting songs. What are they like?

A Christmas with Mozart and A Stocking full of Composers sounds like very interesting songs. What are they like?

Christmas with Mozart is my favorite out of all i got to play. it has lots of different christmas tunes and excerpts from many of Mozarts pieces. A stocking full of composers is a lot of different christmas songs. it has like 40 different songs. they were both given to our band director by the composer, Julie Giroux, as christmas gifts. She is a great composer. She also wrote No Finer Calling, which our top band played last year for our honor band recording.

Julie Giroux IS a great composer. I played Circus Franticus by Giroux last year in the Blinn College Wind Ensemble.....it was my favorite piece we did that year.

we played Tempered Steel, 1st Suite (i think it's in Eb, don't know the whole name), Stille Nacht (by Mannheim Steamroller), and of course, Sleigh Ride lol.

ARG! You played Tempered Steel!!

You know how many times I asked Aguillon if we could do that piece back when I was there? The last time Gtown did it was in 2000 (we were 5A Honor Band finalists that year), I was in 8th grade and heard the concert with it and thought it was the most awesome piece EVER!! (I still do, and I've heard a lot). Gary Wylie arranged it for marching band that Fall (2000-my freshman year) and we took it all the way to state (got slaughtered--dead last, but at least we went).....man, I love that piece!

lol, anyway since I'm already here might as well do this. Here's what we did in the Sam Houston State Wind Ensemble this Fall:

Variants on a Mediaeval Tune - Dello Joio

Renaissance [something] - Susato

Lincolnshire Posy - Grainger

Strange Humours - Mackey

Fanfare for the Common Man - Copland

Florentiner March - [forgot the composer]

Fanfare [something] - Gabrielli

[some other piece] - Foss

[another piece] - Tower

[and another piece] - Fisher Tull

lol....our conductor would never call out the names of our pieces in rehearsal....he would always call them out by composer (except Florentiner, probably because it was a march, and the only march we played that semester), and we always referred to them as such among each other, so I never really learned the titles, haha.

Edited by takigan