BOA San Antonio Recaps

The recaps on bands.org have been posted. Here's a link to prelims. You can get to finals by deleting the P after "txsaP" and adding an F.

http://www.musicforall.org/Network/FallRes...ional/txsap.pdf

Interesting stuff here... Hebron scored FIRST in individual music with a 19.5!!! That's probably the greatest news for me. They were eighth place after prelims. Here are the rankings after prelims.

16. Clear Brook

15. Langham Creek

14. Brazoswood

13. Collevyille Heritage

12. Ronald Reagan

11. Cedar Park

10. Haltom

9. Berkner

8. Hebron

7. James Bowie

6. Richland

5. Westfield

4. Winston Churchill

3. The Woodlands

2. LD Bell

1. Marcus

Langham Creek was just .2 away from finals. I'll add scores to these later.

16. Clear Brook 85.75

15. Langham Creek 86.45

14. Brazoswood 86.65

13. Collevyille Heritage 86.7

12. Ronald Reagan 86.9

11. Cedar Park 87.2

10. Haltom 87.5

9. Berkner 87.8

8. Hebron 88.05

7. James Bowie 88.55

6. Richland 88.95

5. Westfield 89.35

4. Winston Churchill 91.15

3. The Woodlands 91.25

2. LD Bell 94.4

1. Marcus 96.2

Hm, Marcus scored the same in both prelims and finals.

A few things:

Marcus scored straight 19's in every subcaption in Prelims, which included a 19.50 in Visual G.E.

Five finalists came from Friday Prelims. Nine finalists came from Saturday Prelims.

8th - 5th Place in Finals was decided by less than a point. Extremely tight.

Three-way tie for 4th place in Visual Performance by bands that performed back to back to back in Finals, which is UNHEARD of! (Churchill, Richland, Reagan).

I know we shouldn't compare scores from two different Regionals, but just for kicks....

In Finals, the 7th place score in San Antonio would have been good enough for 4th place at the Indianapolis Regional this past weekend.

In Finals, the 14th place score in San Antonio would have been good enough to win the Flagstaff Regional this past weekend.

What I'll be doing is putting up a review sometime today or tomorrow on the Forums. If I did a podcast over all 14 Finalist bands, the show would be up to and including 45 minutes. What I'll do is give you guys a podcast over what I thought of the contest and some score breakdowns. Stay tuned!

A few things:

Marcus scored straight 19's in every subcaption in Prelims, which included a 19.50 in Visual G.E.

Five finalists came from Friday Prelims. Nine finalists came from Saturday Prelims.

8th - 5th Place in Finals was decided by less than a point. Extremely tight.

Three-way tie for 4th place in Visual Performance by bands that performed back to back to back in Finals, which is UNHEARD of! (Churchill, Richland, Reagan).

I know we shouldn't compare scores from two different Regionals, but just for kicks....

In Finals, the 7th place score in San Antonio would have been good enough for 4th place at the Indianapolis Regional this past weekend.

In Finals, the 14th place score in San Antonio would have been good enough to win the Flagstaff Regional this past weekend.

What I'll be doing is putting up a review sometime today or tomorrow on the Forums. If I did a podcast over all 14 Finalist bands, the show would be up to and including 45 minutes. What I'll do is give you guys a podcast over what I thought of the contest and some score breakdowns. Stay tuned!

Yea, the scores at this regional were insane. I mean, the 26th place band still scored over 80! Usually an 80 is enough to get you a finalists spot, if not top 15. And I don't think it was because scores were inflated. This regional was just too good.

Exactly...weird. Has this ever happened before? Don't get me wrong, they had a great finals performance, but a 96.20? I'm not too sure...

I think it has happened a few times, but I am waaaaaaaay too lazy to go look it up.

Here's another very interesting thing:

Marcus broke the Highest Regional Score Record Saturday night, previous held by Winston Churchill in 1996. At that very competition in 1996, Chuck Henson, the announcer, accidently announced Churchill off of the field two minutes before the show was actually done. On Saturday night, Dan Potter accidently announced Churchill off of the field before their last movement was done. Sure enough, the record was broken again. Weird!!!!!!

There was definitely a greater percentage of "high quality" bands at this regional than at the last "non-state" regional (non-state implying that more 5A bands compete in BOA on off years for UIL) in 2005. 55 bands competed this year, 36 of them received a Division I (almost 70%). In 2005, 57 bands competed and only 29 bands received a division I....barely half.

But as a whole it looks like the usual suspects in their typical order....the only real upset in the top 20 was Colleyville making finals, Hebron placing 7 spots higher than expected and Reagan dropping.....is it 8 spots?.....Leander did quite a bit better than expected as well. I'm sure there are other aspects I'm missing. The prediction spreadsheet that was compiled by one of our members actually closely resembles the actual results with only minor deviations for the most part.

I'm not sure what to think of the scoring especially in relation to the school I was rooting for (Georgetown)....Georgetown beat CP and lost to Bowie by a tenth of a point at Westlake 3 weeks ago. Georgetown lost to CP and Bowie in almost every category (losing to CP by 6.8 pts and Bowie by 8.3 pts) with a 1.0 to 1.5 point average point gap on each one at this competition. I understand a lot can happen in 3 weeks, but to be that far down the list from the "regulars" in this competition....I expected G-town to lose to both Park and Bowie simply by disadvantage in the GE captions......but to lose in almost every category (save 1, Gtown beat CP in Visual Ens Perf) by that big of a point gap to both schools, especially since the school had one of their better performances of the season? Politics...that's my outlook.

Exactly...weird. Has this ever happened before? Don't get me wrong, they had a great finals performance, but a 96.20? I'm not too sure...

Yep, it's happened before. At the early season 2000 BOA San Antonio Regional, L.D. Bell scored an 89.65 in both Prelims and Finals.

Georgetown beat CP and lost to Bowie by a tenth of a point at Westlake 3 weeks ago. Georgetown lost to CP and Bowie in almost every category (losing to CP by 6.8 pts and Bowie by 8.3 pts) with a 1.0 to 1.5 point average point gap on each one at this competition. I understand a lot can happen in 3 weeks, but to be that far down the list from the "regulars" in this competition....I expected G-town to lose to both Park and Bowie simply by disadvantage in the GE captions......but to lose in almost every category (save 1, Gtown beat CP in Visual Ens Perf) by that big of a point gap to both schools, especially since the school had one of their better performances of the season? Politics...that's my outlook.

Well, if you think back to Westlake, in prelims Cedar Park swept all captions (except Percussion to Round Rock) and then placed third in finals. Anything can happen.

And there was some questioning about the captions in finals. Well, I think its safe to say that Music was expected to go to Marcus (Marcus- 19.45, Bell- 19.00). Visual, on the other hand, which Bell won in prelims, was somewhat surprising (Marcus- 19.05, Bell- 18.90). If you look at the individual judges' scores, Bell received 18.90 from both visual judges while Marcus received 19.50 from the individual marching judge and 18.60 from the ensemble marching judge. Then in GE, musically and visually it was very close (Marcus- 57.70, Bell- 56.90). All these little tenths that Marcus had over Bell is what added up to the 1.4 point difference. I personally feel that both of these bands were superior and both of them deserved first place.

P.S. I can't wait to see what Bell pulls out for Grand Nats, and as I said to some of the Marcus parents that were sitting next to me in finals, its a shame Marcus won't be there to represent Texas, however I wish them luck at Midwest!

I'm not sure what to think of the scoring especially in relation to the school I was rooting for (Georgetown)....Georgetown beat CP and lost to Bowie by a tenth of a point at Westlake 3 weeks ago. Georgetown lost to CP and Bowie in almost every category (losing to CP by 6.8 pts and Bowie by 8.3 pts) with a 1.0 to 1.5 point average point gap on each one at this competition. I understand a lot can happen in 3 weeks, but to be that far down the list from the "regulars" in this competition....I expected G-town to lose to both Park and Bowie simply by disadvantage in the GE captions......but to lose in almost every category (save 1, Gtown beat CP in Visual Ens Perf) by that big of a point gap to both schools, especially since the school had one of their better performances of the season? Politics...that's my outlook.

Georgetown did very well, the score they received would put them in finals at most regionals. This just happens to be a ridiculously hard one. Really only 6.8 and 8.3 behind two powerhouse bands is not bad at all. Most competitions that's probably smaller than the gap between 1st and 14th. And I would go on record saying Bowie and CP are not GE powerhouses, they're good GE-wise, but that's not what wins them competitions. They just worked their butts off all season, including those last three weeks. I'm not saying Georgetown didn't, I'm just saying that's how they made that gap. Talk to anyone who saw them at both competitions and they will tell you it was a huge change in preformance level. Every band there deserved their placement. And Georgetown's placement was good, congratulations on a great preformance.

The main reason Georgetown is so far behind is show design. I think this was the the third year out of four that they played a Key Poulan show... They'll have money to spend on show design next year since they spent it all on a new tractor trailer this year and new uniforms/drums the year before.

I get what you mean with the Key Poulan stuff...we use him every year and its really hard to play his stuff good. But you can still be successful with his shows and a low budget none the less.

on a different note..

OMG. We missed finals by .2?! you have to be kidding me!

What a bummer, but considering all our drill drama at the beggining of the season, and our really late start, i can't say im not happy with our placement. :)

About Key Poulan, back in '04, the only year Creekview has advanced to state so far, the show was written by him and it was apparently one of the best shows we've had. And many other bands like Newman Smith have had his shows, Medusa last year, and theirs was one of the best versions of it. I'm sure there are others I'm missing here... Let me know.

So if the judging was "fair" that night, how in the world could Marcus of gotten the same score (when I personally believe they marched a better prelim performance) and Reagan had a 6 point difference between prelims and finals and (in my opinion again) they marched a better prelim than finals performance. I think there finals placements were an accurate assesment of where they belong, not their prelims placements...it would have been a horrible injustice if they had not made finals.

**On a completely different note, I think if we see Reagan march a clean show with a bit more flair, ie visuals, etc....finals at GN should not be an issue for them. I believe too many folks are comparing them to the years prior instead of their merits of today...I thought I would defend them since between txbands.com and bands.org, they are taking a beating in comments. I don't think anyone should under estimate them....(I'm not saying they will win...but I think they have a great shot at finals....not a dark horse)***

So if the judging was "fair" that night, how in the world could Marcus of gotten the same score (when I personally believe they marched a better prelim performance) and Reagan had a 6 point difference between prelims and finals and (in my opinion again) they marched a better prelim than finals performance. I think there finals placements were an accurate assesment of where they belong, not their prelims placements...it would have been a horrible injustice if they had not made finals.

**On a completely different note, I think if we see Reagan march a clean show with a bit more flair, ie visuals, etc....finals at GN should not be an issue for them. I believe too many folks are comparing them to the years prior instead of their merits of today...I thought I would defend them since between txbands.com and bands.org, they are taking a beating in comments. I don't think anyone should under estimate them....(I'm not saying they will win...but I think they have a great shot at finals....not a dark horse)***

As far as Marcus goes, keep in mind that their scores weren't the same from prelims to finals. Just the total. I'm pretty sure the scores were higher for music in finals and higher for visual in prelims. As for Reagan, they were good. Their show didn't entertain me though. I think that may be why people aren't very happy with them. I personally thought Richland did better.

Anyway, does anyone know when the finals will be On Demand on the MFA site?

As far as Marcus goes, keep in mind that their scores weren't the same from prelims to finals. Just the total. I'm pretty sure the scores were higher for music in finals and higher for visual in prelims. As for Reagan, they were good. Their show didn't entertain me though. I think that may be why people aren't very happy with them. I personally thought Richland did better.

Anyway, does anyone know when the finals will be On Demand on the MFA site?

I don't know...iPods used in context with a marching show is all that's needed to re-emphasize the fact that G.E. presents a major role in the BOA judging system. ;)

I think if we see Reagan march a clean show with a bit more flair, ie visuals, etc....finals at GN should not be an issue for them.

As for Reagan, they were good. Their show didn't entertain me though. I think that may be why people aren't very happy with them.

I also was not ecstatic about Reagan's show. Some could attribute this to Mark Chambers leaving, however since I am not in that band, I can't say anything for certain. And as for the visuals and such, I do think that people were expecting some great GE performance out of them, such as in Beyond Perimeters, Synergy, and, as much as I wasn't a fan of the show, You Never Know. Even last year with Transitions, it was fairly obvious that they witheld on the effects side of the show.