BOA San Antonio Finals Results

i thought since we (westfield) had an okay performance in prelims...but we managed to pull out as 5th in prelims.

then when we came to finals...i felt like we had the best performance ever...and then we managed to place 9th.

so you can thank BOA for confusing me to the fullest. :rolleyes:

BOA never fails to confuse me

:wacko:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought since we (westfield) had an okay performance in prelims...but we managed to pull out as 5th in prelims.

then when we came to finals...i felt like we had the best performance ever...and then we managed to place 9th.

You know.. Westfield may not have been the only band to kick it in for finals, other bands may have picked it up as well.

Also i'm not too sure if this could potentially affect the outcomes of finals but don' t the judges from the box and the field rotate to where the box judges from prelims judge on the field in finals and vice versa?

...a few things to keep in mind.

i had an extremely amazing weekend

EVERY band did reall really well. it was really cool getting to see all of the bands.

i must say, coming into this weekend it did expect marcus to win but not by so much. but after seeing the shows in finals back to back i can see why they did. but i really did expect it to be with in a point.

besides that the only thing that surprised me the most was that coppell wasnt in finals. i didnt get to see their prelims show but did they just fall apart or something? what happened with them?

Also, I noticed how bands this year played kinda soft. I was used to bands playing extremely loud to get a crowd reaction, but, it truly showed off their playing abilities when they play at a nice volume. Bowie on the other hand, it made me like the show cause it was loud, but it is quality over loudness most bands are doing these days... which is good.

Bowie still seemed to retain good quality of sound though to get 2nd in music in finals. :P

I thought Bowie had a great sound. It ripped everyone's faces off. At first, I thought the band was really loud. Then the first true hit came and I literally said "Oh, *beep*!" Seriously, just ask anyone that was sitting around me. I believe I was close to one of this site admin's dad.

However, there just wasn't enough contrast in their show. Everything was loud all the time. Plus, they sounded a lot like a drum corp when their hits came. Marcus retained their wholesome sound through the crescendos and when it reached the climax. I had Marcus ahead in music by a long shot.

You and I are alone in the world. I thought so too.

Perhaps...I thought so because as well as they played, Marcus seemed to slump A SMINGE during finals for music. While playing at fffffff was definitely exciting to listen to, I feel Bowie really explored their dynamic spectrum to its fullest. While all this was done, the sound remained balanced, no matter the dynamic, which whether you admit it or not, is extremely impressive. I admire a band's ability to control sound at every dynamic more so than technical features (double tonguing, runs, etc.). I'm not trying to take anything away from Marcus's obviously mind-blowing performance, but based on what I heard, I truly believed Bowie would take music.

*edit*

Now that I think back a little, I think the softest Bowie played was maybe mf....I can't quite remember. Even then....from mf-ffffff control is great....

Edited by trumpetman1288

Well, I thought Bowie had Marcus because the music grabbed me unlike Marcus. Marcus was amazing, don't get me wrong, but Bowie was like, we are here - now sit and listen. I thought they just had so much more emotion behind their music. And I didn't think it was all loud, when they got quiet, it got quiet quiet, there just wasn't a lot of that. Marcus on the other hand made me nod off a few times to be perfectly honest, they were fantastic, but they failed to pull me in at all, quite the bore. Were I make my biggest comparison in the music though was Make Our Garden Grow, both bands had it. Bowie had a fresh take on it that made me want more, Marcus was more traditional and was just really good, that's all.

Ok....I'll let the self-righteous proverbial coffee-spit thing slide....but you should know there are more proper ways of proclaiming your disagreement with me, sheesh -_-.....I mean, wow, I guess my argument is so retarded there's no way in he.ll it could be correct, right?

You know, this is a hard argument to define someone as being right or wrong.

if you still want to argue these points, go ahead and PM me and we'll continue it there....

Sorry if I offended you. I was trying to lighten the tone of the thread as sometimes these things tend to get waaay too serious. It was not meant in a mean way and I apologize if it came across that way.

I intended this to be a discussion, and not an argument. A discussion based on opinion and my recollections and not on fact.

While many of my generation lived in a chemically induced haze in those days, I still have quite clear memories. :blink:

We'll have to agree to disagree if that's ok :)

BTW you seemed to have changed the topic from dedication and discipline to difficulty, but that's ok.

If you're the type that wants to have the last word, it's ok. Go ahead and I will not respond.

Please, for the artistry and beauty of marching band:

STOP ARGUEING PUBLICALLY!

Please take your harsh comments to eachother to a private message. :)

On a completely different note.

Winston Churchill, I cried, and cried, and then cried some more. Graham is lookin' and listenin' down on y'all proud. It was beautiful.

Marcus, Wasn't your second movement the Holberg Suite, and if so that is a piece for strings. Nice. I wish the ladybug hit a field judge again, it was hysterical during Pre-lims. Part 5 gripped my loins and made my crack my voice. Nice.

Bell B) It was awesome.

I think my favorite shows were Bell and Churchill. Bell gave me chills throughout the entire show. Particularly in the spots that the little girl had the solos. Churchill left me speechless after playing Amazing Grace and then having the moment of silence during which the guard performed. So quiet you could hear the flags. It was great.

Anyway, I asked this before and never got an answer. Maybe I'll have better luck this time. Anyone know when the videos from finals will be available in the On Demand area on MFA?

My only problem was the people who decided to yell out stuff during Westfields performance of One. It probably wasn't to much of a problem for some people, but I was near the group that was doing it. As a huge Metallica fan I was livid when they almost ruined the moment.

Sorry dude, but you do realize that the Spring band was yelling during the Pre-Show right?

They were only showing their support, and it was greatly appreciated.

I have a recording if you want.

I've had quite a few people ask me about this so I hope I'm not way off base with this because I have yet to see Pan's Labyrinth. But...

The little girl in L.D. Bell's show is supposed to be Ofelia (the girl from the movie) and the person dressed in the yellow mummy fabric is supposed to represent the Fawn in the movie.

Panslabyrinthofelia.JPG

514G4AC1AVL._SS500_.jpg

Pictures of Ofelia and the Fawn in L.D. Bell's show from San Antonio:

http://www.bandorders.com/view_user_photo....62910&SUB=0

http://www.bandorders.com/view_user_photo....62910&SUB=0

"The Faun is there with his fairy companions flying around him (including the ones previously eaten by the monster). She learns that by giving up the eternal life as the princess to save her baby brother, she has completed the final task and proven herself to be the Princess Moanna. The camera pans back up to the surface world, where a faint smile passes across the girl's face as she draws her last breath."

Also, the part where Ofelia dies in the show....

n513400887_257367_2035.jpg

I hate to use superlatives but...the feeling I had when I saw the show in Prelims was unbelievable. I thought I had it bad when I teared up throughout the show but people all around me were bawling.

Sometime it seems to my eye that they play and then move and then play and then move. Granted Bell and Marcus play very well. It just seems to me that it's hard to play and move and the same time, especially if you are playing much more complex music. All I can really remember from Bell's show is the little girl humming and the big yellow thing. If some one asked me about their music, I would be able to tell them anything about it. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. :)

Well if a band is educated well enough and work hard enough in their marching they can play complex music and still sound good. Now it takes a little more time to perfect but it's not unattainable.

Take Brazoswood, they march in a minutely bent knee with toes up. Straight back, shoulders back, chin up and tucked. This posture allows better air movement and support. So if the band were to march correctly, no matter what the tempo they could play anything. Infact I personally prefer marching and playing to a "park and bark".

Edited by bbmello09

Ok not trying to sound like a copycat but our band too! We (Brazoswood) were 14th and after the most perfect show ever in finals we only got to 12th. Many of us were hoping for top ten. So it was a really big shock whenever we placed so low. Actually I met some people from other bands that felt the same way that they felt the judging was off. So i'm not sure what is going on. I could rant but i think i'm past that now...Actually i'm going to voice some of my opinion...I never thought I would say this but i do not agree with how the captions were placed in finals or placement in that manner. The top two marching bands would've done better in a theatre. I understand that they carried out the concept but whatever happened to marching band?!?! Bell crawled on the field for goodness sake!Not to mention they just creeped me out!!! Marcus' show i didn't see but the big flowers made me think of Alice in Wonderland....So yes the placements were off. i'm not just saying this because my didn't place in at least the 10th spot but i wouldn't of put Bell and Marcus' show so high.

Ok not trying to sound like a copycat but our band too! We (Brazoswood) were 14th and after the most perfect show ever in finals we only got to 12th. Many of us were hoping for top ten. So it was a really big shock whenever we placed so low. Actually I met some people from other bands that felt the same way that they felt the judging was off. So i'm not sure what is going on. I could rant but i think i'm past that now...Actually i'm going to voice some of my opinion...I never thought I would say this but i do not agree with how the captions were placed in finals or placement in that manner. The top two marching bands would've done better in a theatre. I understand that they carried out the concept but whatever happened to marching band?!?! Bell crawled on the field for goodness sake!Not to mention they just creeped me out!!! Marcus' show i didn't see but the big flowers made me think of Alice in Wonderland....So yes the placements were off. i'm not just saying this because my didn't place in at least the 10th spot but i wouldn't of put Bell and Marcus' show so high.

You had to see every show in finals to really understand why the placements came out as they did. Brazoswood was actually one of my favorite shows of the night (I was in Houston too and absolutely shocked about you all not making finals). I would agree with you all not breaking the top ten, but I must let you know....Marcus and Bell were really on a whole different level.

Just to let you know first, I am a BIG TIME traditionalist when it comes to what marching band should entail...I don't like props, I don't like dancing, and I sure as heck do not like electronics on the field (except for solos). I think a competition should be won by playing and marching; however, Marcus and Bell deserved 1st and 2nd because they did play and march. I still believe Bowie deserved music at night, but Marcus was really on a whole different level on music difficulty and execution. Bell crawled around, yes, but they march very well and play very well. BOA contests, unfortunately for some, are based heavily on GE (20 music, 20 visual, 60 GE, the GE being broken down into categories as well). If Bell creeped you out, they did what they were trying to do.

I know it's a horrid feeling not to do as well you would have liked, but this contest was not easy. I was kind of surprised at some placements as well, but I do agree with the top 7. The only thing I don't agree with are the actual scores, but eh....that's another discussion for another time.

By the way, congrats to you all on a great show. You all REALLY worked to get where you got in SA. The drill especially came a long way.