BOA San Antonio, TX Super Regional - Nov. 2-3, 2007

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a post on the MFA forums by TheDancingClarinetist....

I think this competition looks to be plenty stacked by the looks of it.

nstead of trying to guess who will place 1 - 57, I decided to take a different approach: I got the list of bands attending off the BOA website, and pasted them into excel; Then, I split them up into 4 groups:

Group A: Made the finals at the last BOA contest they attended, or at San Antonio last year (+ 13 & 14th place) (only took top 6 from Houston, due to number of big bands that dropped out).

Group B: Received a 1st division rating at the last BOA contest they attended.

Group C: Received a 2 - 4 division rating at the last BOA contest they attended.

Unknowns: Have not attended a BOA regional in the last 2 years.

Even though they should technically be in "Unknown", I went ahead and put Langham Creek in Group A.

I also split Group A and B into two blocks; the first one being who I would consider to be the "heavies". Within the blocks, all bands are in alphabetical order.

If I had to guess who would win, I would say Marcus: I saw their show at Arlington, and it was incredible. But anything can happen...

I'd also like to point out that every band (except for Duncanville) that was in the Texas State UIL finals last year will be at this contest.

"Group A" Bands: (17)

L.D. Bell H.S.

Langham Creek H.S.

Marcus H.S.

Richland H.S.

Ronald Reagan H.S.

The Woodlands H.S.

Westfield H.S.

Winston Churchill H.S.

Berkner H.S.

Cedar Park H.S.

Clear Brook H.S.

Colleyville Heritage H.S.

Coppell H.S.

Haltom H.S.

Hebron H.S.

James Bowie H.S.

Spring H.S.

"Group B" Bands: (12)

Brazoswood H.S.

Cypress Falls H.S.

Harlingen South H.S.

Judson H.S.

Klein H.S.

United H.S.

Bel Air H.S.

Creekview H.S.

Fossil Ridge H.S.

Leander H.S.

The Woodlands College Park H.S.

W. Charles Akins H.S.

"Group C" Bands: (13)

Clear Lake H.S.

Columbus H.S.

Hidalgo H.S.

John B. Alexander H.S.

Lewisville H.S.

Oak Ridge H.S.

Sharyland H.S.

Smithson Valley H.S.

Victoria Memorial H.S.

Vista Ridge H.S.

Waller H.S.

Whitesboro H.S.

William B. Travis H.S.

"Unknown" Bands: (15)

Azle H.S.

Clements H.S.

Edinburg H.S.

Edinburg North H.S.

Gatesville H.S.

Georgetown H.S.

Jarrell H.S.

La Joya H.S.

Llano H.S.

Lopez H.S.

Northwest H.S.

Randolph H.S.

Roma H.S.

Samuel Clemens H.S.

Uvalde H.S.

I think that this persons theory is reasonable except for one part.."(only took top 6 from Houston, due to number of big bands that dropped out)". This part does not make sense to me because it shouldn't matter who dropped out because the facts still stand as to who made FINALS. You can't pick and choose who you want to include. That just isn't fair to the bands who worked just as hard as any other. Bands 7-10 could have made it whether the ones who dropped out attended or not. There is no way of knowing. So by you excluding them is almost an ultimate insult in my book. All the 57 competing bands at BOA San Antonio have just as much chance of making finals as any other. In my opinion I like when an underdog comes in and makes finals because seeing the same "power houses" over and over again kind of ruins the competition when you already have in your mind who is going to be in the top 3. What makes a good competition are the upsets because you know that is all people talk about the next day. Sometimes just making a BOA finals for one band means more than getting the first place trophy. So I really think this person needs to go back and revise their list if they are going to have correct statistics.

I think that this persons theory is reasonable except for one part.."(only took top 6 from Houston, due to number of big bands that dropped out)". This part does not make sense to me because it shouldn't matter who dropped out because the facts still stand as to who made FINALS. You can't pick and choose who you want to include. That just isn't fair to the bands who worked just as hard as any other. Bands 7-10 could have made it whether the ones who dropped out attended or not. There is no way of knowing. So by you excluding them is almost an ultimate insult in my book. All the 57 competing bands at BOA San Antonio have just as much chance of making finals as any other. In my opinion I like when an underdog comes in and makes finals because seeing the same "power houses" over and over again kind of ruins the competition when you already have in your mind who is going to be in the top 3. What makes a good competition are the upsets because you know that is all people talk about the next day. Sometimes just making a BOA finals for one band means more than getting the first place trophy. So I really think this person needs to go back and revise their list if they are going to have correct statistics.

Thank you. And it's not just because our band was one of those 7-10 bands at Houston, lol. Good luck to everyone attending! I really wish I could go watch. It sounds like it's going to be an amazing competition.

In my opinion I like when an underdog comes in and makes finals because seeing the same "power houses" over and over again kind of ruins the competition when you already have in your mind who is going to be in the top 3. What makes a good competition are the upsets because you know that is all people talk about the next day. Sometimes just making a BOA finals for one band means more than getting the first place trophy.

Well said!

OMG!!! this weekend is going to be insane!!! there are soooo many goood bands and their shows are amazing!! yes some bands are better than others but still!! i can't wait to see what all the bands bring to the table!! my band directors keep telling us to treat prelims like its the last time we will be doing our show!! b/c finals is no guarantee!! i know that i can't wait to perform and see the crowds reaction to our show!!! (The Shining - Cypress Falls) my favorite part of performing is seeing the crowds reaction when we are finished and tired and know that even though we have our flaws we still hold our heads high!! no matter what placement we get in SA i know we're all going to give it everything we got!!!

ShAkE & bAkE!!!! :D

OMG!!! this weekend is going to be insane!!! there are soooo many goood bands and their shows are amazing!! yes some bands are better than others but still!! i can't wait to see what all the bands bring to the table!! my band directors keep telling us to treat prelims like its the last time we will be doing our show!! b/c finals is no guarantee!! i know that i can't wait to perform and see the crowds reaction to our show!!! (The Shining - Cypress Falls) my favorite part of performing is seeing the crowds reaction when we are finished and tired and know that even though we have our flaws we still hold our heads high!! no matter what placement we get in SA i know we're all going to give it everything we got!!!

ShAkE & bAkE!!!! :D

So are you excited or not? I can't tell. :lol:

I must say im totally ready for this weekend in San Antonio, I don't think i have ever worked this hard for San Antonio's competition up until this year. I cant wait to see some of yalls bands, and i can only hope yall enjoy ours =] ~~wave~~ :lol:

i love it!!!

And yall are right it is gonna be an intense competition this year.

OK, this is a real band nerdy thing to do, but I was reviewing the predictions page for BOA SA and wondered how all these predictions would rank the bands if they were added up. So I copied the predictions to excel (as of 11/1/2007), sorted them and assigned point values to each rank (1st = 14, 2nd = 13, 3rd = 12, etc.). I also included a counter of how many times each band was ranked by position.

Interesting results but I wouldn't be surprised if final rankings ended up pretty close to these results.

DISCLAIMER: I think there are some bands listed that won't be at BOA, but these are the ones posted on the predictions page. Also, I make no guarantee to the accuracy of these results, they're just for fun and debate.

OK, this is a real band nerdy thing to do, but I was reviewing the predictions page for BOA SA and wondered how all these predictions would rank the bands if they were added up. So I copied the predictions to excel (as of 11/1/2007), sorted them and assigned point values to each rank (1st = 14, 2nd = 13, 3rd = 12, etc.). I also included a counter of how many times each band was ranked by position.

Interesting results but I wouldn't be surprised if final rankings ended up pretty close to these results.

DISCLAIMER: I think there are some bands listed that won't be at BOA, but these are the ones posted on the predictions page. Also, I make no guarantee to the accuracy of these results, they're just for fun and debate.

Great job my friend!!!!!!!! Fantastic work.

that's a really neat list !

i like to see the predictions, without having to attempt to make my pitiful predictions first to see them :lol:

our band plays kind of early, in the first block tomorrow.

that kind of stinks, but we'll play our hearts out anyway, because that's no reason to get down in spirits.

Seeing the very clearly defined diagonal across the finalists and bubbles is really cool.