UIL State 1A, 2A & 4A - Nov. 5-6, 2007

I'm just so sick of people generalizing State. Half of you people haven't even BEEN to State. Everything is different - the feel of the ground, the rebound of the sound, the volume of the crowd, the intensity of the stadium itself. You can't honestly expect to compare it to a previous achievement, because it is on a whole different level.

How about we talk about State when it happens and leave the predictions to where it's supposed to be - IN THE PREDICTIONS PART OF THE SITE. [note that when I say prediction this involves the arrogant comments you mentioned]

Instead - let's talk about the potential of bands, let's talk about marching style of bands, the blend of their sound, the chords they use, etc., etc.. There are so many different and great topics to talk about instead of debating who's going to win.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just so sick of people generalizing State. Half of you people haven't even BEEN to State. Everything is different - the feel of the ground, the rebound of the sound, the volume of the crowd, the intensity of the stadium itself. You can't honestly expect to compare it to a previous achievement, because it is on a whole different level.

How about we talk about State when it happens and leave the predictions to where it's supposed to be - IN THE PREDICTIONS PART OF THE SITE. [note that when I say prediction this involves the arrogant comments you mentioned]

Instead - let's talk about the potential of bands, let's talk about marching style of bands, the blend of their sound, the chords they use, etc., etc.. There are so many different and great topics to talk about instead of debating who's going to win.

aww your no fun.... jk

Well in the topic of Blending of Sounds our band has a problem with a few Trombone Players one in Particular who likes to Try to be a hero... He cut his lip today so he couldnt play and i band director told him to stop....Hopefully it will still be cut Tuesday... so the Good trombone players will be heard along with the rest of the band... as one.

HOLLA

i haven't been

:[[[

I think you're right in this opinion.

I've marched in the Alamodome; it's different, but not bad. I think everyone that hasn't marched there before is gonna have a blast, and it'll be an experience you never forget. If there's one piece of advice I have, it's to not leave anything out there questionable. Don't walk off that field saying "that wasn't my best". Even if it's prelims, make it the best; you may not get another chance...

Remember, it's all about what five people think of your product that day. They don't care that you vomited at rehearsal last thursday. They don't care that you lost a girlfriend or two due to marching. They don't care if you've spent 100+ hours rehearsing.

You all just gotta show them that YOU deserve the highest rank. ^_^

I would like those of you who will be buying tickets for the UIL State Marching Contest to consider the following. This is what buying these tickets on Ticketmaster.com will cost you:

Tickets (U.I.L. State Marching Band Contest - AAAA Tuesday Day Pass)

Adult Day Pass - $20.00 x 1

Total Convenience Charge(s) - $6.10

Order Processing Charge(s) - $3.75

Will Call No Charge

TOTAL CHARGES - $29.85

Here's the catch. The event is General Admission! You can't buy a specific seat for the UIL State Marching Contest, therefore purchasing these tickets on Ticketmaster.com is POINTLESS!!!!!! Yet, Ticketmaster still feels that you should pay an additional 50% when you can just buy them at the box office for 20 bucks with no up-charge. Screw you, Ticketmaster!!!!!!

Warning newbie question

Will tickets be available the day of the event or does it ever sell out ?

I like that it gives everyone a clean slate. It gives more room for upsets (like Coppell shooting from 7th to 1st in 1999.) However, I was shocked at how little the placements changed between prelims and finals at the last 4A state comp.

I agree, theoretically every competition will have judges with fresh perspectives which should make the scoring more objective. 2 years ago, our season would have ended at the Area C competition since one judge placed us dead last. Fortunately the other 4 judges placed us first, and a 4th slot was added...they called it the "judges preference". Thier optimism paid off when the Bulldogs brought home the Silver medal in 05'.

With any luck we will have at least a repeat performance, if not better.........GOIN FOR THE GOLD !

You're probably ok with purchasing tickets the day of. It's not a particularly crowded event, as only 25 or 30 bands are in attendance.

you can absolutely just walk up to the box office, of course the question is do you buy the finals ticket early and save a few bucks? I think I will this year ;)

GOIN FOR THE GOLD

2007 Show:

warmup08.jpg

2005 Silver Medal Show:

I have a question. It was debateing on who has the best brass line in 4A marching bands. Although wood winds are a part of the band their instrument is not made to project its sound like a brass instrument. I would like to hear some opinions. :)

Sherman's low brass

not just because i'm one of them

because it's true

we have had other band directors ask ours how he got such a good low brass section.

I agree, theoretically every competition will have judges with fresh perspectives which should make the scoring more objective. 2 years ago, our season would have ended at the Area C competition since one judge placed us dead last. Fortunately the other 4 judges placed us first, and a 4th slot was added...they called it the "judges preference". Thier optimism paid off when the Bulldogs brought home the Silver medal in 05'.

With any luck we will have at least a repeat performance, if not better.........GOIN FOR THE GOLD !

proof of biased judges

(cough)

centenial marching contest

cough

sherman

we will definately see

what i should have said

to elaborate more clearly

is how can one judge rank a band 1st

and then the judge right next to him rank a band last

(not us but still)

either they were on something

or they choose favorites

Then let me be the first to tell you that UIL judging can be notoriously similar to that. :huh: