UIL State 1A, 2A & 4A - Nov. 5-6, 2007

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhm... I give up. lol.

And I"m actually rather nervous about the completely different panel of judges.

That could change results A LOT. And that could also be really bad for some bands that won't make finals, because one of the prelim judges could knock out a band that one of the finals judges really favored in the top spots.

What does everyone think of two completely different judging panels for Prelims and Finals

I like that it gives everyone a clean slate. It gives more room for upsets (like Coppell shooting from 7th to 1st in 1999.) However, I was shocked at how little the placements changed between prelims and finals at the last 4A state comp.

I like that it gives everyone a clean slate. It gives more room for upsets (like Coppell shooting from 7th to 1st in 1999.) However, I was shocked at how little the placements changed between prelims and finals at the last 4A state comp.

very true. Random upsets like that could completely change the way Bands are looked at in Texas. and it also makes for one interesting Finals competition.

I LOVE BAND DRAMA

Its almost as nerdy as fighting with someone on WOW

Almost

I hate band drama for the simple reason it splits our band. That I believe is the biggest problem we have. Everyone works incredibly hard, but when people started saying all this junk about not liking each other it makes me sick. Luckily, I'm one of the few people everyone likes. In doing so, I know a lot about almost everyone and it's difficult to try to agree w/ everyone. And another problem is WE POINT FINGERS!!!!! It disgusts me b/c everyone blames someone else, and no one takes responsibilty anymore. I try to keep conflict low by just fixing it even if it's a fresh. that says I was wrong. Our juniors and seniors are the best people in the band and don't cause any trouble, but the soph. are getting a little too bigheaded. If a fish tries to correct them they ignore it, and it is so frustrating when people don't listen to each other. Well that was my rambling, just wondering does any of you guys have that problem?

I wish we could do that but it'd be a whole process trying to get "permission" to sell that stuff. I usually just buy a mess of McDonald's gift cards.

Do they have lots of merch at state? My 'rent are giving me 100 bucks just to buy merch. I want to get a spitload of stuff that has "UIL state marching" on it besides just patches and whatnot.

I def. would be interesting in a meetme thing. I've been participating in this site for a while now, and heck, I'm curious to meet some people (besides the oodles of CHS people that post on here because I already know who all fo them are).

yep..

Fish aren't allowed to help out..

Even when you might be one of the ones

that can see what is going on because you are at the back

of the diagonal and you can see its not in line..

Yeah its aggravating..

But you know what..?

You have to work through all that

to get to be where you want to be..

Don't focus on the stuff when you march..

Just put soul into it and leave your

heart out on the field..

Leave what emotion you haven't

used in the show on that last step and

don't take it with you,

All of that fixed by:

no talking on the field.

Including section leaders (unless the band needs some motivation or something is drastically off).

thankfully in the end everything works out; most of the time, but like after Little Elm finals you should see the look in some of their eyes when it was announced we got 6th, I was one of the few who cheered. We didn't see the accompishment of making our first finals at an extremely high level competition, including beating Wills Point who creamed us last year, Centennial in prelims and look at where they are right not going to state, beating many big bands like Robert Lee, and Bowie, and was only 1.2 points out of 2nd place over Canton the 3A champs at everything. But, no we sulked at the fact we fell, and look at Centennial(no offense indicated) they dropped in a lot of competitions but they kept their head up and is going to state. I hope falling from prelims to finals won't harbor such feelings, but instead the driving force to be better next time