Area D contest

Can you believe all 5a bands at region 26 got 1s!

>.<

It really doesn't surprise me. Everyone deserved it. I didn't get to see Stony Point, but I know they've had a bit of a turn around in the past couple of years, so I'll go ahead and say they deserved it too. From the bands I saw...

McNeil - Very funny show...the rabbit got a little distracting after awhile, but I still liked the whole William Tell thing. This was one of those shows where the guard tells the whole story, and they do a great job of doing so.

Georgetown - I'm not a huge fan of Key Poulan music, but this show is very well done. It made me think twice about Key Poulan...although I still don't like some of his other music. Another thing...that drumline is INCREDIBLE!

Leander - Great balance throughout the whole ensemble. I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this show from the front after seeing it from the back so many times, but thank you for proving my thoughts wrong! Great job!

Round Rock - Another very impressive drumline...but that's not anything new. I really enjoyed this show. According to some people I've talked to that saw this show at the CP Festival, this performance was so much better than that one. Congrats!

Cedar Park - What a sound! And I have to say thank you for speeding up the beginning since the last time I saw you guys. To be honest, it really sounded like a dirge last time, but I feel like it sounds like it should now. The biggest areas for improvement in this band are their marching (keeping forms is the biggie) and their guard work. (I just heard this morning that the guard changed a lot of their work this week, so it's definitely understandable for now.)

Westwood - 11 All-State members this past year...the most I've ever heard of, and it is very obvious that there are some very good players in this band. I've always been impressed with the low brass (they've been great ever since they went to Canyon Vista and Grisham Middle Schools). One thing that drove me nuts though was the ending...the show just ends. You feel like there should be a big monstrous chord at the end, but it's not even there, and it's a very easy place to add one. I would love to hear one added in for area, but that's just me.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really doesn't surprise me.  Everyone deserved it.  I didn't get to see Stony Point, but I know they've had a bit of a turn around in the past couple of years, so I'll go ahead and say they deserved it too.  From the bands I saw...

McNeil - Very funny show...the rabbit got a little distracting after awhile, but I still liked the whole William Tell thing.  This was one of those shows where the guard tells the whole story, and they do a great job of doing so.

Georgetown - I'm not a huge fan of Key Poulan music, but this show is very well done.  It made me think twice about Key Poulan...although I still don't like some of his other music.  Another thing...that drumline is INCREDIBLE!

Leander - Great balance throughout the whole ensemble.  I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this show from the front after seeing it from the back so many times, but thank you for proving my thoughts wrong!  Great job!

Round Rock - Another very impressive drumline...but that's not anything new.  I really enjoyed this show.  According to some people I've talked to that saw this show at the CP Festival, this performance was so much better than that one.  Congrats!

Cedar Park - What a sound!  And I have to say thank you for speeding up the beginning since the last time I saw you guys.  To be honest, it really sounded like a dirge last time, but I feel like it sounds like it should now.  The biggest areas for improvement in this band are their marching (keeping forms is the biggie) and their guard work.  (I just heard this morning that the guard changed a lot of their work this week, so it's definitely understandable for now.)

Westwood - 11 All-State members this past year...the most I've ever heard of, and it is very obvious that there are some very good players in this band.  I've always been impressed with the low brass (they've been great ever since they went to Canyon Vista and Grisham Middle Schools).  One thing that drove me nuts though was the ending...the show just ends.  You feel like there should be a big monstrous chord at the end, but it's not even there, and it's a very easy place to add one.  I would love to hear one added in for area, but that's just me.

I agree wholeheartedly with the big chord thing (if you're gonna have a "chain reaction," doesn't it usually end with a BOOM?), but our directors just seem to have a different vision than we do... Ah well, maybe I can persuade them before next saturday...

QUOTE (t3hZm4n @ Oct 22 2006, 01:44 PM)
I agree wholeheartedly with the big chord thing (if you're gonna have a "chain reaction," doesn't it usually end with a BOOM?), but our directors just seem to have a different vision than we do... Ah well, maybe I can persuade them before next saturday...

Can't a "Chain Reaction" end with an implosion too.... happy.gif

Can't a "Chain Reaction" end with an implosion too....  ^_^

Yeah, it certainly can... I'm guess I'm just too much of a Star Wars geek to accept it haha :D

btw, great work with the show music... I've been at Westwood since Divine Comedy, and your arrangements have been sooooo good! Now the quality of our playing of the arrangements is another story, but ya know... ^_^

Ah westwood..at the Festival of Bands, y'alls show has vastly improved since that comp....

But what can I say Round Rock is better?

:-P

jk, Rivals are rivals, but we support all RR schools.

Anyways, since we are hosting it. I have duty from 2:30 to 5:30 PM, so if you have a show around that time.. Look for me at the exit gate. :-p

Otherwise after our show I am going to watch bands in the stands, then my duty, and go back and watch more.

PM me if you want to meet. :)

The last finalist is....... Westwood High School!!

*mass cheering*

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant Westlake High School!!

*mass wtfing*

So we made 11th, lost by some small negligible amount (forget what the exact margin was) and then had to deal with that... -_-; great way to end my last trip to area.

The last finalist is....... Westwood High School!!

*mass cheering*

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant Westlake High School!!

*mass wtfing*

So we made 11th, lost by some small negligible amount (forget what the exact margin was) and then had to deal with that... -_-; great way to end my last trip to area.

yeah. i was thinking....if that was me....i'd kill myself(not really). just be really mad...for like...a while. but yeah. DUMB.