UIL 6A Area J 2024

15 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

This is exciting! It looks like we’ll get a new tenth area added this year. 6A high schools in this area include:

Hebron

Flower Mound

Marcus

Lewisville

Prosper

Rock Hill

Byron Nelson

Allen

Plano

Plano West

Plano East

Wylie

Wylie East

Braswell

Little Elm

If this is actually the case, I think they will only send 3 to state, pretty sure it’s one band for every 5, which means probably the 3 LISD schools. If it’s 4, Prosper and the Wylie schools will be fighting for the last spot, Rock Hill could also make a move 

If I’ve done my research correctly, I count only 18 6A bands, indicating only 3 advancers to state (which is practically set in stone at present, barring a MASSIVE upset on an LISD school.) I’m a bit surprised that UIL set this area up in a way that allows for this, but I suppose that anything can happen with UIL Area!

Maybe there will be a switch on how the state advancement process will work?

1 hour ago, CosmicLimbo said:

Dang this is rough. I don’t want to make it seem like the LISD trio is completely untouchable but having only 3 or 4 state spots is going to be an uphill battle for a lot of programs. 

First off, do we know where this comp is being held, just wondering? I’m guessing the new Prosper or McKinney Stadium, and yeah, this is gonna be a bloodbath of an area. Area B, C and J are just now like 5A area B, and things are just now more competitive than ever. I think it’s safe to say we know the first 3 spots, thank the lord there is a 4th, which could do to either of the Wylie, McKinney or Prosper schools. We should have 10 to finals, so here’s my way to early predictions: 

1st-3rd: LISD schools an any order 

4th-7th(any order): Wylie/WE/Prosper/Mckinney Boyd 

8th: Rock Hill 

9th: Mckinney 

10th: Braswell/Byron Nelson/Lewisville 

I also wouldn't sleep on the Planos. They just keep getting better and better every year. Plano actually missed finals by one spot last year so this year I think they may pull it off. As for East and West, they definitely could move up a couple of spots next year as well. 

Its pretty obvious there will be 4 state slots given all of these bands realistically never get even close to a division 2 outside of timing problems, but this is honestly pretty disheartening for any band outside of the standard finalists, McKinney High honestly is a MASSIVE dark horse that I think people should wait and see for their performance, if I were to make a prediction right now with all the information I know, it would look like this (grain of salt, probably incorrect outside of the top like 4):
1. Hebron (Wins WW and Ind.)*
2. Marcus (Wins Brass/Perc.)*
3. Flower Mound (Wins Ens.)*
4. Prosper
5. McKinney Boyd
6. Wylie
7. McKinney High
8. Wylie East
9. Rock Hill
10. Lewisville
*(This is assuming the new 5 judge system were in play, if it isnt then switch Marcus and FloMo, along with moving Wylie to 5th and trading the McKinneys, also if you dont agree with the list its ok I kinda threw it together using what Ive seen, could very well be wrong in many ways lol)
Looking at this list proposes a very obvious problem of finals (realistically given the past 4 years and whos left in the roster) being comprised of 4 districts alone, but honestly this feels like such a detriment to the bands who honestly down to 9th-10th could perform well at the SMBC, but now have to compete for a single spot due to outside choices, I dont hold this against LISD of course since they simply want to be the best and perform incredibly as a unit, but their stranglehold on this area is honestly very surprising, and as to why they would put them in whats now such a low populated area is beyond me.

I dont really get the understanding of why it had to be divided this way outside of distance, in which case moving the Coppell region here along with 3 or 4 wouldve likely been more balanced as 5 slots with Bell and Coppell as the highest leaves room for fighting with Wylie and Prosper (McKinneys will depend on their show writing), as well as making the finalists much more varied district wise, but I dont get to make those kinds of decisions, so what we get is what we get I suppose lol

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ReveriesOp24 said:

the way they monopolized getting the powerpuff girls into state 

Seems kinda off if UIL is trying to get more "equal representation" into state when they will take from 2 of 4 districts at BEST lol, I would need to see a SERIOUS dark horse that can pass the McKinneys, Prosper, and Wylie in a year, which I dont think is realistic all things considered

• 2 weeks later...

Per Region 24's recommended dates for next year, it appears that this contest will be held at Melissa's stadium. Interesting that they would go with a venue of another school that isn't even competing. I figured that they would've just went with Prosper or McKinley stadium due to shorter distance, but I guess this is also a fine stadium as well (5A Area B is being held here again after bouncing from stadium to stadium the last several years)

4 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

Per Region 24's recommended dates for next year, it appears that this contest will be held at Melissa's stadium. Interesting that they would go with a venue of another school that isn't even competing. I figured that they would've just went with Prosper or McKinley stadium due to shorter distance, but I guess this is also a fine stadium as well (5A Area B is being held here again after bouncing from stadium to stadium the last several years)

Melissa getting 2 Area contest's? That's cool but I do agree with you that its odd