UIL 5a Area B Competition 2023

with McKinney North definitely and possibly wakeland getting realigned at the end of this year to 6A, next year argyle will definitely be at state. Hoping to see lovejoy at finals next year as well!

On 10/30/2023 at 3:58 PM, That Bass 4 Guy Out Of DFW said:

Here are my takes from the competition:

• congrats to all of the bands making the championship in probably the toughest area in 5A, I can definitely see all of these bands making state finals.
  • congrats to McKinney North for proving all of the doubters wrong with the scoring concern with them, 1st time that they have made state since 2015, and is good for it to happen since year since they are more than likely to go back to 6A next year.
  • I feel so sad for Argyle, I know that they really wanted to prove that they are competitive in 5A this year but I still think that their show was amazing this year. They should still be happy about the product that they have put out this year and once their size doesn't become an issue, they should be a force to be reckoned with within the next year or 2, they have certainly proved that a successful 4A band can be great in 5A which should boost Anna's and Celina's confidence with them likely going up to 5A next year.
  • Man, Memorial is getting better and better every year and is trending in the right direction. They only opened up 5 years and this band's rise has been amazing to see, honestly, I can see this band going to state within the next couple of years with their area results improving each year with them jumping from 10th to 7th within one year in such a tough area.
  • I am so freakin happy for Frisco Emerson. Considering that it is their 1st year being a varsity program and making finals and getting 8th place in a super competitive area, this band is on the rise. This is a band that is also trending in the right direction with their school getting bigger every year. Honestly, I could see them making state within a couple of years as well just like Memorial.
  • Wow, Walnut Grove, I am so flippin' happy for that program, especially considering all of the circumstances. 1st of y'all, it is literally their 1st year in existence with them being in build mode, and no, not rebuild mode, but literally BUILD mode since their school didn't even exist last year, I swear, the paint is probably still drying at that campus lol. 2nd of all, let's address the elephant in the room. If anyone didn't hear about it, here's what happened. They were heading out to Kenny Deel Stadium for the Area competition on Saturday, but on the way there, one of their buses got hit by a drunk driver which really damaged the bus. Don't worry, everyone was okay, they were just a little shaken up and nothing major and thankfully no one died. They did get another bus and actually had a choice to opt out of the competition, but they decided to compete still which shows how determined these kids are. After all, they made it to finals in an amazing area and got 9th as a brand new program so congrats to them for showing their toughness.
  • I'm very surprised that Liberty and Independence did not make the finals. Liberty had a great result at SOF with them finishing 2nd to Argyle in finals and tieing with them in prelims. Independence was a big surprise this year too considering the fact that they made finals last year and got a good placement.
  • Poor Melissa. Their realignment growing pains are unfortunately starting to show with them not making finals in their own stadium. Either way, still a really good band and I think that they will get on a good level within the next couple of years.

Either way, congrats to every band that competed

Just now, northtexasshawty said:

with McKinney North definitely and possibly wakeland getting realigned at the end of this year to 6A, next year argyle will definitely be at state. Hoping to see lovejoy at finals next year as well!

I don’t think Wakeland is getting rezoned to 6a. The intention in Frisco ISD is for all of the high schools to remain 5a as far as I know

5 minutes ago, tennertrumbow said:

I don’t think Wakeland is getting rezoned to 6a. The intention in Frisco ISD is for all of the high schools to remain 5a as far as I know

mckinney north definitely will be 6a next year though, in the Snapshot that was done last week of all texas schools they had 2270 i believe and the cut off for 5a is 2219, so unless they lose 50+ students by the uils official snapshot next month, they will be 6a

54 minutes ago, northtexasshawty said:

mckinney north definitely will be 6a next year though, in the Snapshot that was done last week of all texas schools they had 2270 i believe and the cut off for 5a is 2219, so unless they lose 50+ students by the uils official snapshot next month, they will be 6a

Lovejoy should be back in finals next year, unfortunately they got a 2 at region for going overtime if you haven’t heard yet, but I’d say the probably would have placed in the 7th-9th range 

11 hours ago, northtexasshawty said:

There is no plan for any of the Frisco schools to go to 6a any time soon.

10 hours ago, Flute goddess said:

There is no plan for any of the Frisco schools to go to 6a any time soon.

There was a poll sent out to Wakeland parent's to see if they would be ok if Wakeland was moved to 6A, not sure what the results were but I know they were only 50 kids under being a 6A and had to send kids to Memorial instead. Similar thing happened with Reedy a year ago and they sent those kids to Wakeland and Frisco instead. 

48 minutes ago, JohnSmith said:

There was a poll sent out to Wakeland parent's to see if they would be ok if Wakeland was moved to 6A, not sure what the results were but I know they were only 50 kids under being a 6A and had to send kids to Memorial instead. Similar thing happened with Reedy a year ago and they sent those kids to Wakeland and Frisco instead. 

That was a questionnaire send to all Frisco parents and students to assist with long term planning in the district. Wakeland's enrollment is at capacity but predicted to go down over the next couple of year's.

18 hours ago, Flute goddess said:

That was a questionnaire send to all Frisco parents and students to assist with long term planning in the district. Wakeland's enrollment is at capacity but predicted to go down over the next couple of year's.

this is true the freshman and sophormore classes have been huge with the class of 2026 being 700 ish students and the class of 2025 being around 500-600 and class of 2024 being 450-550 so they just got a big boost instudents 

18 hours ago, Flute goddess said:

The results and more info from that survey can be found here: https://www.friscoisd.org/news/article/2017/11/17/survey-provides-feedback-on-high-school-model

Frisco has always been about the small school model and has no plans of changing that.

On 10/31/2023 at 9:41 PM, cplover42 said:

as an argyle kid that did not happen, the old director was great and so is the current one.

From what I heard from multiple friends that where there her finale few years she was a control freak. She even tried taking control over the music for their 2018 show that she was no longer going to be the director for and caused the new one to buy music from a company used many times from a soundtrack company that held their show back. Very little editing was able to be done with it due to copyright reasons and the music was for a big band so a band with 60 wind players marching a show with lots of power cords sounds weird. They still beat us in one competition because they are Argyle and I went to Guyer at the time so.¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

On 11/3/2023 at 4:17 AM, LetsGoBrandon said:

From what I heard from multiple friends that where there her finale few years she was a control freak. She even tried taking control over the music for their 2018 show that she was no longer going to be the director for and caused the new one to buy music from a company used many times from a soundtrack company that held their show back. Very little editing was able to be done with it due to copyright reasons and the music was for a big band so a band with 60 wind players marching a show with lots of power cords sounds weird. They still beat us in one competition because they are Argyle and I went to Guyer at the time so.¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

This is not accurate and did not happen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 9:16 PM, kid_in_band said:

I heard independence unfortunately had a problem with their sound systems. really sad considering that they were having a really good season. placing pretty high at Melissa (I don't remember the exact placing). Liberty on the other hand was very surprising. I think a lot of predictions had them in finals as they made it last year. They had a great season though and im sure can be considered competition next year. 

I also want to talk about Heritage because I haven't seen anyone talk about them. They tried something different last year to see if they could do better. They had a much stronger show this year with them going all out but not making finals either. Independence not making was also kind of sad because I saw them as guaranteed finalist because of how much they've improved.

Edited by flutelolno
typo