Thoughts on recent(?) trend of "hiding shows" in the early season

A great deal of this is copyright and sync rights.  A lot of composers who may be alive today have publishers who monitor sync rights to their music.  You may have the rights to arrange and perform, but not record.  

There are also bands who do not want their early season videos posted or posted at all.  That is all up to the staff of each program.  

If you think judges, who are the ultimate marching arts fans, aren't looking for or watch videos you are sorely mistaken.  I have been in the press box at MANY contests and those conversations certainly happen.  It is just the nature of the beast.

I think you have something with copyrighted music and wanting to put your best foot forward at all times. I remember back during LD Bell's heyday, people would look for drill mess-ups as proof that they didn't deserve their powerhouse reputation. I doubt much has changed in the years since, especially when it comes to directors trying to build a program.