Wow, I'm a bit late coming to this discussion. Oh, well.

Takigan makes a great point in saying that the Dallas Wind Symphony is one of the premier wind symphonies in the nation. When I performed with them in GDYO a few years ago, I remember Maestro Junkin saying something like, "All the people in the performance hall are there because they want to hear great band literature. It's not like the fancy DSO concerts, where everyone dresses up in a tux and ball gown and go listen because they need to be seen doing something fancy. They're there because they did the same thing, and now their children are doing it and they still love it. That's the difference between the DSO and the DWS."

It was kinda interesting to hear him say that. I'd never really thought about it in that manner until he said so.

By the way, he conducts really weirdly sometimes. During one performance, he would take his fingers and close them up and conduct like that, not using his baton. Really, really odd things sometimes. Great conductor, just kinda weird.

By the way, he conducts really weirdly sometimes. During one performance, he would take his fingers and close them up and conduct like that, not using his baton. Really, really odd things sometimes. Great conductor, just kinda weird.

I've had the opportunity to witness Jerry Junkin conduct before and I completely agree with you. A few years ago, he conducted the Region (18?) Wind Ensemble through Carmina Burana and did it without a score. Plus, he was crazy into this music (but who can blame him, its effing Carmina Burana).

But about Whitacre, I played October my sophomore year in high school and I was fortunate enought to play the euphonium solo. This was the first time that I had heard Whitacre before and I just fell in love with his work. All the greats like Noisy Wheels of Joy, Sleep, Lux Aurumque, October, Water Night, Cloudburst, and the list goes on and on. I do agree with some of the other posts on here in that he is not quite considered one of the "Greatest Composers" yet. But, if he continues cranking out more of these amazing pieces, he certainly has a shot at being up there in the big leagues.

The weirdest thing I've seen him (Junkin) do is when we played David Maslanka's 4th symphony. During one of the faster paced sections, he would pucker his lips and blow really hard, to the point that his face got incredibly red and this steady stream of air was just escaping his face. I gotta admit, when I saw him do that, I almost started laughing. I'm pretty sure I at least smiled.

By the way, I was also at that Region concert. I believe it was Region 24, because I sat there and listened as well.

Waternight for the win. :]

It's like Dmitri Shostakovich.

Many of his works were created in reaction to that time period.

He had some rough spots in his life. When he was happy, his works were slightly more upbeat.

In times of sorrow, well, you know where I am going.

It's hard to really compare any composer, especially over such a long period of time.

Eric Whitacre vs. Beethoven.

Lmao. That just doesn't look right to me.

Music has changed with the times.

Even comparing modern music with 70's music.

It has changed.

Eric Whitacre represents modern music while someone like Beethoven represents how music once was.

Erich Whitacre is a production of what Beethoven and Bach started.

Haha. None of that made sense.

• 2 months later...
It's like Dmitri Shostakovich.

Many of his works were created in reaction to that time period.

He had some rough spots in his life. When he was happy, his works were slightly more upbeat.

In times of sorrow, well, you know where I am going.

Well considering Eric Whitacre isn't living in the time of one of historys most evil dictators, and his music isnt inspired by politics, you might want to re check that statement

• 4 weeks later...
i think conally's varsity band is thinkin about lux aurenbore i think is wat it is called to play for UIL contest when we sight read it... it had all the elements of a perfect ballad.... great chords disenance and wat not.

The name of the piece of Lux Aurumque, and it's a beautiful piece both played and sung....and yes all of Eric Whitacre's music has Dissonance. In fact most of his pieces have tone clusters, which is a twentieth century music term meaning that there are several pitches stacked on top of one another, either a half step or whole step up or down. Depending on the combination of pitches, they can create some amazing musical sounds.

A little twentieth century counterpoint for ya!

• 1 year later...

Well look at it this way, Whitacre has been around for awhile now, while Mackey is a rising star. It's like fads....they come and go, Mackey is the "IN" composer right now....mainly because Eric hasn't written a new band piece in several years and people are also looking for something new.