Tales of student leaders from...

At my school, I haven't had to deal with any nearly evil section leaders quite yet. However, a number of our band leaders are indeed existing at the darker ends of this spectrum.

Our percussion section leader is very barely on the edge of the equivalent of an abyss for band- he has good things to say, when he feels you worthy of the wisdom- I think he just is scared or doesn't know how to communicate to people who may not understand concepts that he, as the valedictorian of our grade, does. I do give him credit for having to deal with basically being an object of great envy by many of his peers- however, he has a tendency to come off as arrogant or has his arrogance reflected in his actions. Also, my only other qualm about him is that he seems to not really do much with what he is expected to be as a section leader but attempt to be a disciplinarian at times. We still haven't gotten our percussion shirt for our 04-05 season, and probably never will- he discussed it a bit with me and some peers for a week or two back in march. I just think he's too distracted with other activities and doesn't yet possess the leadership skills to really whole-heartedly lead the percussion section.

There is discipline. And then, there is discipline of wholly different kind- how many times have you had to deal with screaming harpies or crazed savages of section leaders whose "discipline" tended to prove more annoying than the offenses precipitating the action?

Mutual respect makes life so much easier...

Do you think that you would be a better leader than him? I would say, before you start bashing, put your money where your mouth is.

It's not as easy as it looks.

Well, it sounds like all he would have to do to be better is a couple of basic jobs and not be an ***.

well i had three section leaders (go trumpets) one quit a month into the season(senior), one didnt do much(senior), and the other (the only junior trumpet section leader) i knew previously so me and him were cool, he was a good leader. I was chosen for next year (only sophmore section leader band wide) so i shall see how i do. i want to make a good impression now so that i will have a good chance of being drum major later.

From what I have seen from my school, generally the people who do make leadership in a younger class generally get a lot of disrespect. It is hard for juniors and seniors who feel they deserved and should be in your spot to respect and listen to you, when their only thought is that they would be better.

Well, it sounds like all he would have to do to be better is a couple of basic jobs and not be an ***.

You know, half of leadership is what the followers put into it. It's easy to sit back and let things fail, and then bash your leader, or you can work with your leader to make things happen.

It's really your choice.

You know, half of leadership is what the followers put into it. It's easy to sit back and let things fail, and then bash your leader, or you can work with your leader to make things happen.

It's really your choice.

Absolutely true, but if your leader is a jerk or/and incompetent(yes I know the question is raised why would the band directors choose them then) it makes it hard for the section to work with their leader.

Absolutely true, but if your leader is a jerk or/and incompetent(yes I know the question is raised why would the band directors choose them then) it makes it hard for the section to work with their leader.

But if they know someone is a bad leader, then they must know what the example of a good leader is...

Then all they have to do is be the good leader that they know, without the official title.

Let me just say, as a disclaimer, everyone sees leaders and people they dont like. But the result comes down to you. You can either get online and start bitching (please excuse my french) about it, or you can motivate yourself to make things happen.

I think anyone who has agreed with the topic of this thread needs to look at themselves. Even if you are a leader, someday, not everyone will like you or the things that you do. Its a given. And what are you going to do about it?

here is a leadership fact. if kids dont like u, they won't follow u. have fun with them, let them know you're not gonna be a bossy, snot-nosed jerk, and i promise that you'll have an immensely easier time gettin the kids to follow u.

I agree with that.... thats what my section leader did. It worked for her... but then again there was only 6 of us, but still.

I had trouble with one of my section leaders when I was a freshman...I couldn't grasp the concept of marching right (i'm not the best marcher even now!) and she was impatient. I kept reminding myself of that section leader when I became section leader this year and made sure i was patient with people who weren't the best marchers.

Even if you are a leader, someday, not everyone will like you or the things that you do. Its a given. And what are you going to do about it?

In my case, I took it personally, got depressed and felt like a horrible section leader. Which, I admit, is definitely not what you should do.

The section leader we had my first 2 years of high school, while the best player we had in the pit, was not always the best leader. She'd often be late to practice and didn't always help moving equipment. However, she was also well-liked and known for being the "percussion mom" (and bringing sweets). There's a difference between merely being popular and being an effective leader, and people sometimes have trouble finding the correct balance (I don't think I quite got the hang of it myself <_< ). Yet watching her made me realize what kind of section leader I wanted to be: one who leads by example. As for the sweets, I let the other senior take care of that; she's better at cooking than me anyway.

my thoughts are that they were elected/picked for leadership...if you picked them, then they deserve it. I would like to see you take their spot for a week. 9 times out of 10, you would do the same thing, and then deny it later...

Actually, we don't pick our section leaders, the band director does. He bases it on who has the leadership to do their job, so it's not a popularity contest at my school.