• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DylanWillis

DylanWillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:49 PM

I am currently in my 9th grade year and for the last three years of me being in band it has been all that I love. Recently with my new band directors and having to be in marching band, I have lost the love for my passion. I play the saxophone and I never want to quit playing, I am quite talented for my age and have made first chair in my region multiple times. I can not stand one of my new band directors and have decided to quit at the end of the year. If I do quit is it still possible for me to compete in region jazz, or regular region/ are there any loop holes i can exploit so I can continue to compete. My school does not offer a jazz band so I would be completely dissociated with the band program. 

Please help me if you know anything, this has been a very emotional and a very difficult time for me. And I love two of my band directors, but the marching director has made my first semester of high school completely unbearable. 

Thank you

#2 LHSbandDad

LHSbandDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationLeander, TX

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:04 AM

Oh no!!  This is such sad news!!  I do not know the rules to correctly answer your question.  I can tell you that marching season is the toughest of the two semesters, especially for a 9th grader, so you have made it through the toughest part.  If it is not too late, I hope you can reconsider.  My three kids have loved band (two played saxophone) so your story really hit home to me.  Have you tried to talk to the director and work out the concerns?  It is always so sad when I hear people that leave the band program.  Most end up regretting it later.  I hope you find a solution that works for you.

#3 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:31 AM

My daughter wanted to quit after her Freshman year as well (she even made her Sophomore schedule without including band), but that summer she decided to give it one more shot, and she never looked back after that.

I remember hearing about the FloMo trumpet soloist from last year who hated marching band and up to that point had only done concert season. They evidently talked him into marching last year so he could do his awesome trumpet thing. So evidently it’s possible to NOT do marching season? Not 100% sure.
Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#4 J-Mike16

J-Mike16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationLumberton Texas

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:13 AM

This also hits me close to home. I am a class of 2019 graduate who played the Alto Sax so I understand what you are going through, but please if you can, consider not quitting. You are only at the beginning of your high school band career. If you quit now, you are going to miss out on learning new things about yourself and life lessons. The moments and experiences I got in my 4 years will last forever. I didn't get along with one of my directors but I sat down with them and worked things out and by the time I graduated, they were one of my favorite directors! Please think about it, Band is not just playing an instrument and marching, its the experiences you will get with all of your band peers and just having fun. there is sooo much more than what other people see of it. Marching band is tough, but the finalized piece of what your band worked on for months really does pay off, and the achievement is amazing! It does not matter if your band goes to nationals or just goes to the Region contest every year. All band members are one big family! We understand what all of us goes through but we all share one thing in common: love and passion for band/instrument (hopefully). I need to wrap this up, just think about it please, you are literally just now digging your way into your 4 years of high school band, don't stop digging! Continue digging up experiences as you make your way down to the bottom where you will find the biggest treasure of all... one big band family! and of course graduating!!!!! ok I'm done with this paragraph

#5 Band_dad_of_2

Band_dad_of_2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

I'm afraid of the regrets you will have if you decide to move on (I don't like the word "quit").  You have friends in band who support and love you...that would be a big hole in your life.

If things are really bad and can't be worked out, is there another, nearby school with open enrollment?  I would definitely advise speaking directly with your parents first and then with the director (with your parents) but open enrollment could be a worst-case scenario option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users