• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, sorry, but I haven't heard of any of those bands.

I'm betting on Poteet to be amazing again though. And if they continue to have 200 kids on the field, it'll be almost impossible to compete with that sort of volume.

how have you not heard of conallyand hendrickson the bands that made state 2 years ago and conally making semi finals at gnats this last year?!?!?!

I think I have heard of Conally. But when you live where all the state champion bands are, like L.D. Bell, Marcus and Poteet, it's hard to find out about other bands that are around because band life seems to be centered around them at every competition, whether those bands are there or not.

I think I have heard of Conally. But when you live where all the state champion bands are, like L.D. Bell, Marcus and Poteet, it's hard to find out about other bands that are around because band life seems to be centered around them at every competition, whether those bands are there or not.

No it's not.

yah, that is extremely big, especially for a 4A school.

I know I've heard Conally from somewhere, and if it was from a BOA contest, I probably thought they were 5A just because that is usually a 5A dominated contest.

And also, our band program in general really hasn't been introduced to BOA. We know what it is, and we had requested to go last year (But our ISD didn't approve it), but when it comes to the major competitors in that competition, most of our kids are clueless to the big bands there.

Personally, I think that was our director's excuse(that the isd turned us down). I think he didnt want to gear a show towards BOA style. Also, I'd probably also have to agree with michael that most of our band hasnt been introduced to it(lol, im an exception, i followed it everystep of the way; thats where i thought id heard of connally).

first off sorry for my ignorance but what year did "the colony" win 5a state???

when i think of 4a bands i think of poteet (my old orthodontest is across the street from there), fossil ridge, sherman, connally, friendswood, dickinson, hindrickson...

btw our show last year was "OF Bells and Angels" and our opener was called bells and it was music from "Bells for Stokowski"

first off sorry for my ignorance but what year did "the colony" win 5a state???

when i think of 4a bands i think of poteet (my old orthodontest is across the street from there), fossil ridge, sherman, connally, friendswood, dickinson, hindrickson...

btw our show last year was "OF Bells and Angels" and our opener was called bells and it was music from "Bells for Stokowski"

Hm, I honestly don't know... once again, another one of those things our director told us that could or could not be true...

I remember watching that show at Carollton I think... I remember the shirts especially, cus we sat right behind your parents while you were performing. I loved the drill, especially when you made all those bells around the field and had the angel wings out there as well. Hopefully something like that is in store for us this next year.

yesterday, our director made a great point about why Marcus won state.

He said if you looked, and actually examined the show you'd notice that:

A) The music wasn't really all that hard

B) They never really marched faster than 160

C) The drill didn't have amazingly hard forms to make and wasn't overl advanced

what he said made them AMAZING (which they were, and always will be...) is how precise they were in EVERYTHING. Yes, they only had 5 trumpets playing during the william tell section, but it was loud, together, in tune and just perfect...

He therefore concluded that it's not just marching at 10000000000 bpm, or playing Britten's Young Person's Guide that makes a state champ... it's being able to perform like a concert band out on a field of grass (or astro turf... w/e).

Well, we have a strong fish class for next year who will be a great addition to the band, and our show sounds incredible and fun, we already sound pretty good on our opener so I think we can do very well next year. I think Hendrickson has a good shot because even thought this past year wasnt as good as the previous, I believe they will have a reborn drive to do well next year. But in the end, we will never know what will happen until it happens, it should be a very interesting 4A state competition.

i thought marcus's music was hard or something? i know their drill wasnt

Marcus' music wasn't easy, but it wasn't as hard as most of the other top bands (most of it was in the basic range for most of the instruments). Many bands could have "played" Marcus' music, but Marcus Perfected it.

It was that perfection and clarity of sound that made that show so amazing. The warmup chords said it all.

yes what the man said is true... if you can sound good with your on-field warm-up stuff you will do amazing...

I remember watching that show at Carollton I think... I remember the shirts especially, cus we sat right behind your parents while you were performing. I loved the drill, especially when you made all those bells around the field and had the angel wings out there as well. Hopefully something like that is in store for us this next year.

thanks... my bd's brother desinged the shirts... yeah hopefully ya'lls show will be cool... i'll be sure to look for it...

yesterday, our director made a great point about why Marcus won state.

He said if you looked, and actually examined the show you'd notice that:

A) The music wasn't really all that hard

B) They never really marched faster than 160

C) The drill didn't have amazingly hard forms to make and wasn't overl advanced

what he said made them AMAZING (which they were, and always will be...) is how precise they were in EVERYTHING. Yes, they only had 5 trumpets playing during the william tell section, but it was loud, together, in tune and just perfect...

He therefore concluded that it's not just marching at 10000000000 bpm, or playing Britten's Young Person's Guide that makes a state champ... it's being able to perform like a concert band out on a field of grass (or astro turf... w/e).

Interesting hypothesis. Band wins 5A state championship because they had easy music and easy drill and hardly had anyone playing.

This would be different contest than what I saw or heard and what anyone I know saw or heard.

Similar story as people had for LDB's 2004 state championship show, which was also incredible. Same story as from Cavalier haters year after year. You championship bands/corps need to coordinate some effort to play out of tune, out of time, and run around wildly for no reason. Only then will you gain respect on these forums.

Marcus' music wasn't easy, but it wasn't as hard as most of the other top bands (most of it was in the basic range for most of the instruments). Many bands could have "played" Marcus' music, but Marcus Perfected it.

It was that perfection and clarity of sound that made that show so amazing. The warmup chords said it all.

I agree, Marcus tended to have a more "fuller, distinct" sound on the field.

They mastered their music. Thats how they got the job done.