Favorite Drum Corps

LordGiggles

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He showed me this clip from the 2001 world finals, and has a close-up on the pit and all their mallets were playing at the exact same height!! When I saw that, I went instantly from :blink: to :wub: .

If you want to be in the best pit EVER, I'd hate to say it, but it's with the Cavaliers. Their pit arranger is the co-founder of Innovative Percussion, Inc. and is one heck of a cool guy. His work in the pit performances is nothing short of ABSOLUTELY FREAKING OUTSTANDING!!!!!

-Drumline stuff for them consistently is lacking for a championship corps like the Cavaliers, but I can tell you the pit almost makes up for it...Almost

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah if only Star were still around, eh? But innovation evolves the best of us. I can't believe there isn't more support on here for the Blue Devils. 11 DCI Chamionships under their belt, and they never cease to amaze. I don't like their shows every year, my most recent favorite was 2004 Summer Train Blues Mix, and then there are the countless others that they have produced in that Jazzy hip fashion that just gets your blood going.

In terms of drill and execution though, there is no corp in the world that beats the Green Machine. They are the most in shape group of guys in the DCI world, and you have to be to literally RUN around the field for 11 minutes. If you've ever seen either their 99/00 shows (with both versions of the diamond cutter) and the 04 show, you need to get these DVD's and check them out.

SCV is great- I have friends that have marched there, so I'm somewhat compelled to like them. But I'm a California guy now, and my corp is BD- blue to the core.

Star of Indiana owns you and all of your dead relatives.

darn straight...

As far as my knowledge goes, no other corps won DCI world championship only in their eighth season... if you look at their placements, they were practically like the Cavvies have been recently.

Other than that, BD 2003 won my fanatical devotion to them. I forget how many High Percussion awards BD has gotten (I think at least ten, though not so many recently)... and how many Snare/Tenor individual champions have marched with them. In all likelihood Tim Jackson will own all the other tenors in DCI again next year. The BD's recent shows still are just not as interesting as their older ones... a number of friends and I think it has alot to do with shows that they have done recently, which simply seem to focus on a few trumpet solos rather than the whole ensemble (you can hear the difference in 2003).

I still like Regiment, SCV, Cavvies, and some Cadets' shows as well (particularly this year). Cavvies have an interesting history, but I feel like Regiment should win... given that their corps hall burned down just as they were picking up in the '60s and then had to restart after two seasons of non-existence. It's really funny to me, though, in that a bunch of people seem to really love the Cavvies now just because they started winning alot '98 onward.

I really like the way SCV's drumline looks when they're drumming the best out of all the batteries though.

It's really funny to me, though, in that a bunch of people seem to really love the Cavvies now just because they started winning alot '98 onward.

I dont love the Cavies because they win championships, but it is certainly a bi-product of why I love them. The Cavaliers brass sound blows my mind. They have an edge to their sound that I have heard no corps match yet. Their resonance is incredible, and it makes listening to them that much more awesome.

What each corps' best features are:

Trumpets: Blue Devils

Mellophones: Cavaliers

Low brass: Regiment or SCV

Colorguard: Cavaliers and Blue Devils

Drumline: Hard to say... Cadets have been extremely good recently, but the two awesome west coast drumlines (SCV and BD) have done really well in the past as well. Cavvies are pretty good, but... they just really aren't the same. It's just a little too machine-like for my taste (I did try to imitate the Cavvies' Tenors' one-legged visual from '04 once back in marching season... its alot harder than it looks). Regiment SHOULD be really, really good, (Rennick) but it seems that the Regiment doesn't get as talented drummers as those in the aforementioned. UNT has not been winning as much recently, either.

Front Ensemble: Regiment is really good. Cavvies is really good. SCV, BD, and Cadets are also good, but not quite as individually present... they seem to get blended into what their brass and drums are playing most of the time.

As far as the Cavaliers being recently adored, my statement

It's really funny to me, though, in that a bunch of people seem to really love the Cavvies now just because they started winning alot '98 onward.

is, admittedly, not always true. A few friends of mine in our band have a joking theory that the Cavaliers are all castrates, and that a friend of ours (the snare section leader, who is arguably the biggest Cavvies' fan in our band) will be castrated with a ritual ceremonial knife when he finally makes them. There are a number of us who really just like to see other corps win... the Cavaliers seem just too good. However, I'm just saying what I don't like about the Cavvies... Their consistent 1st/2nd overall placements speak much about them. The Cadets percussion has been following a similar pattern, as well... but I just love the Blue Devils' approach. I only have two qualms about them; recently too much focus on the lead trumpet in their shows, and drill that really does not compare with the Cavvies. Depending on what Cassela does with the Cavvies drumline in the future, I just might end up liking them more.

darn straight...

As far as my knowledge goes, no other corps won DCI world championship only in their eighth season... if you look at their placements, they were practically like the Cavvies have been recently.

Past six placements of Cavaliers

2005 - 2nd

2004 - 1st

2003 - 2nd

2002 - 1st

2001 - 1st

2000 - 1st

The last six placements of Star of Indiana

1993 - 2nd

1992 - 3rd

1991 - 1st

1990 - 3rd