UIL 6A Area F

1 hour ago, Dave609 said:

The Woodlands will most likely win this Area contest. I would really like to see Spring or North Shore return to State. Maybe we could see a new band in finals?

Spring was fairly solid last year- clean show and good sounds, with a more aggressive show design I could see them making a push. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2023 at 6:39 AM, Dave609 said:

The Woodlands will most likely win this Area contest. I would really like to see Spring or North Shore return to State. Maybe we could see a new band in finals?

Not sure if the Woodlands will be competing to go to state this year. They will be at area for sure. But this is usually their BOA Nationals year. I could totally be wrong though.

5 hours ago, beffjezos said:

From what i've seen so far - 

1st - Woodlands Bluecoats Drum Corps

2nd - Klein Oak

3rd - College Park

4th - TMHS

5th - North Shore

First out - Oak Ridge/Klein Cain/Spring

I think the 5th spot for advancing to state will be super competitive between North Shore or Oak Ridge. North Shore's shows are very much designed for UIL judging and this year is one of the better designed shows they've had musically. The brass and woodwind passages are very clean and bright and I think if they don't make it, it would probably be from how their drill is written. When they made 10th in state finals in 2016, they were easily one of my favorite shows from that year. Similar to North Shore - I have Oak Ridge MAYBE falling out really because it's lacking so hard on drill and just show difficulty, but I could see them placing decently high on music which could get them in 5th. From what i've seen from Tomball Memorial at BOA Katy, they have a very BOA focused show - The show is incredibly difficult and complex and the amount of people in the band is HUGE. However, I did notice that the show seems individually dirty with the marching - but the guard and shapes being made with the drill were fantastic. Even though the judging system is different, it's important to know that at BOA Katy prelims, they got 3rd in Vis GE behind Reagan and The Woodlands, beating CTJ, Cy-Fair and Pearland. That is beyond crazy for a band just recently dipping their toes in BOA. There is plenty of time to clean the drill up and i'm sure with the weather clearing up they'll make alot of progress (if clean enough maybe they could sneak into that top 3 bubble😆). 2nd could go between Klein Oak and College Park. I have no doubts College Park could take 2nd place with music because they sound fantastic and their music book is great, but Klein Oak already has a much more clean, more complex and difficult show in terms of content design, drill and music. From what I saw at Conroe, it sort of reminds me of early Marcus where they focus on filling the field with a more balanced symphonic tone - which is what UIL judges usually like. 🙂

This is the same order I would pick as of today, but I'm going to wait until after the Region 9 competition (Tues, Oct 17th) to make final predictions.  A few of these bands still haven't performed their full show and I hope to see most of them in person again before Area.

On 10/9/2023 at 12:08 PM, beffjezos said:

From what i've seen so far - 

1st - Woodlands Bluecoats Drum Corps

2nd - Klein Oak

3rd - College Park

4th - TMHS

5th - North Shore

First out - Oak Ridge/Klein Cain/Spring

I think the 5th spot for advancing to state will be super competitive between North Shore or Oak Ridge. North Shore's shows are very much designed for UIL judging and this year is one of the better designed shows they've had musically. The brass and woodwind passages are very clean and bright and I think if they don't make it, it would probably be from how their drill is written. When they made 10th in state finals in 2016, they were easily one of my favorite shows from that year. Similar to North Shore - I have Oak Ridge MAYBE falling out really because it's lacking so hard on drill and just show difficulty, but I could see them placing decently high on music which could get them in 5th. From what i've seen from Tomball Memorial at BOA Katy, they have a very BOA focused show - The show is incredibly difficult and complex and the amount of people in the band is HUGE. However, I did notice that the show seems individually dirty with the marching - but the guard and shapes being made with the drill were fantastic. Even though the judging system is different, it's important to know that at BOA Katy prelims, they got 3rd in Vis GE behind Reagan and The Woodlands, beating CTJ, Cy-Fair and Pearland. That is beyond crazy for a band just recently dipping their toes in BOA. There is plenty of time to clean the drill up and i'm sure with the weather clearing up they'll make alot of progress (if clean enough maybe they could sneak into that top 3 bubble😆). 2nd could go between Klein Oak and College Park. I have no doubts College Park could take 2nd place with music because they sound fantastic and their music book is great, but Klein Oak already has a much more clean, more complex and difficult show in terms of content design, drill and music. From what I saw at Conroe, it sort of reminds me of early Marcus where they focus on filling the field with a more balanced symphonic tone - which is what UIL judges usually like. 🙂

I disagree partially, especially with the results of the Lonestar preview. Klein Cain from what it appears did not make finals at all from what i have seen, so i think they will fall out of finals completely or take the last spot. I would also like to give recognition to Grand oaks, i believe they placed 10th at the competition last year, (with the absence of college park) but they jumped up 4 spots this year beating 4 bands (including brazoswood by 2 points) coming up within one point away from clear brook. This area competition will be tough but I think we will see some new bands as well as returning bands coming up for the 4th and 5th spot.

8 hours ago, Houstonbandfan said:

I disagree partially, especially with the results of the Lonestar preview. Klein Cain from what it appears did not make finals at all from what i have seen, so i think they will fall out of finals completely or take the last spot. I would also like to give recognition to Grand oaks, i believe they placed 10th at the competition last year, (with the absence of college park) but they jumped up 4 spots this year beating 4 bands (including brazoswood by 2 points) coming up within one point away from clear brook. This area competition will be tough but I think we will see some new bands as well as returning bands coming up for the 4th and 5th spot.

I still think Klein Cain will make Finals. The Klein schools were out of school last week and a lot of them learned or finished learning a majority of their closer on Thursday and Friday of last week. I think that they will all get them more cleaned up this week and be in a much better position next weekend.

On 10/1/2023 at 3:43 PM, Sanif said:

Early predictions

1. The woodlands - it’s the woodlands of course they’re going to win

2. Klein oak - Placed 3rd at Boa Conroe

3. College Park - 5th at Boa Conroe and won the caption for best Music. Honestly I could see both College park and Klein oak as interchangeable.

4. Oak Ridge - Great program, made finals at Conroe.

5. North Shore - Bit of a dark horse pick but from the videos I’ve seen they seem incredible this year especially with the Carolina crown brass feature at the end.

I don't honestly believe that we should be up there that high, our show isn't the best this year, last year was much cleaner and had better GE. If I had to pick a first place I could probably choose CP over us, we should be in 3rd with CP and Oak Ridge above us. To be honest I don't think Oak has it this year, I'd put both Tomball schools in 4th and 5th.

Just now, TWHSTrumpetKid said:

I don't honestly believe that we should be up there that high, our show isn't the best this year, last year was much cleaner and had better GE. If I had to pick a first place I could probably choose CP over us, we should be in 3rd with CP and Oak Ridge above us. To be honest I don't think Oak has it this year, I'd put both Tomball schools in 4th and 5th.

bro yall are definitely going to win, GE doesn't matter much here, really at all, but Ya'll look and sound fantastic, don't doubt yourself, TW is amazing this year! 

40 minutes ago, TWHSTrumpetKid said:

If we had the rep that we had in lone Star prelims I don’t think Tomball will even make finals nevertheless make state also this is boa so General Effect is less of a factor than for Boa so TWHS will definitely take first.

Based off of what I saw at Lone Star, this competition will be VERY competitive for those last few state spots at 4th and 5th. Grand Oaks was a pleasant surprise - beating Brazoswood and staying behind Clear Brook is not an easy task. Some visual dirt here and there but they sounded quite good. Add Grand Oaks to the race with Oak Ridge, TMHS, and North Shore and it should be a very good and unpredictable competition. I love Klein Oak's show and I had them in second originally, but i'm pretty confident in College Park beating them for the second spot. Their music, especially the passages with Electric Counterpoint, are so well done and they're starting to come together visually. Their show feels good and they should do even well at BOA San Antonio (probably could be a top 25-17 band at that comp).  I'm suprised Klein Oak isn't going to BOA San Antonio after this comp... their show design and execution is screaming GE.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:31 PM, Houstonbandfan said:

We were told by judges we were supposed to be fourth (beating Oak) without the deductions from tech issues and our soloist mics being delayed (due to the frequencies), causing a tear. We were put 2nd in music behind Bridgeland without deductions. Don't count us out yet! (Klein Cain)