UIL 6A Area B 2023

34 minutes ago, aaron067 said:

The Music and Visual Ensemble scores absolutely include design and construction considerations.  EVERYTHING in BOA is tied into design except for the individual scores, and even those are affected by the range of vocabulary and style the students have been asked to perform.  Music GE is also unavoidably tied to visual GE (from the judges perspective), which is unfortunate because that involves a lot of things that are mostly outside the students' control. 

It's all about how impactful the "moments" are, and that impact lives on a spectrum that varies by judge and is affected by design choices and how well the students execute.  Even a perfectly performed show that the judges think is poorly designed will not score super well, while on the flip side you can have a brilliant show design that's been dummy-proofed that scores well with a moderately executed performance because the design is communicated at a high level.

There's definitely some difference of opinion on how this should be approached in the judging world.  2019 Grand Nationals is a perfect example.  Vandergrift won because they had a well designed show that was executed at a very high level, but Avon had a more complex and difficult approach that ultimately fell just short of the gold despite BOA changing the sheets that year to give more credit for difficulty vs achievement.  I personally prefer watching the Vandergrift show because I just think they march and play better (and artistry is its own form of effect), but there's certainly disagreement over the matter.

Ultimately, we see many Texas bands starting to figure out how to be successful in both, which is why 13 of 14 6A state finalists were also finalists at BOA SA a few days before.  That last one attended both but has definitely figured the UIL game out much more effectively than the BOA game.

I don’t want to take away attention from your GREAT points — but dang it, Vandegrift only has one “r.” 😅

24 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Ok I made up my mind (sort of lol) and I’m doing Area B prelims and area C finals. I’m here now for the beginning of the area b contest! So freaking excited!!! Good luck to ALL bands at area!

You always have great commentary! I’ll be following along until I can get there myself this morning! 😊

4 minutes ago, trumpetBell said:

Ld Bell?

Great choice! Lol

omg the cleanest Bell has looked and sound all season! Bell’s show has so much depth of demand, as in they’re constantly on the move and constantly performing such impressive feats. I am always impressed by how cleanly they execute those condensing curvilinear formations into the “dot” set in the beginning, while also those exposed, moving 8th note lines throughout the brass. The music may seem rhythmically simple at first but that stuff is hard to pull off. The brass are playing exposed, independently moving parts while marching complex formations.

Bell has this ability to play within themselves while still demonstrating mastery over exposed material. 

whew that was a mouthful lol

Just now, Dallas Hobbs said:

Great choice! Lol

omg the cleanest Bell has looked and sound all season! Bell’s show has so much depth of demand, as in they’re constantly on the move and constantly performing such impressive feats. I am always impressed by how cleanly they execute those condensing curvilinear formations into the “dot” set in the beginning, while also those exposed, moving 8th note lines throughout the brass. The music may seem rhythmically simple at first but that stuff is hard to pull off. The brass are playing exposed, independently moving parts while marching complex formations.

Bell has this ability to play within themselves while still demonstrating mastery over exposed material. 

whew that was a mouthful lol

Oh and that high Bb in the mellos in the end blew me away! I also loved the quality of the phrase shaping in the ballad, especially the mellos with the melody😩

This is my favorite bell show in the past couple of years.

10 minutes ago, euph_guardian said:

Duncanville?

Yay! I loved Dville

Duncanville just blew me away with the super high quality of their ensemble’s sound. Like WOW so full, strong and mature. That high brass fanfre in the beginning stunned me because it sounded like a pro wind ensemble. Like omg the trumpets handled their exposed technical passages throughout the show so well. It’s so cool to hear a trumpet section that comfortable in challenging passages. 

2 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Ok I made up my mind (sort of lol) and I’m doing Area B prelims and area C finals. I’m here now for the beginning of the area b contest! So freaking excited!!! Good luck to ALL bands at area!

Did that last year!! You’ll definitely be in for some regional differences, I definitely experienced it last year. Curious what you’ll have to say when you experience it!

6 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

Did that last year!! You’ll definitely be in for some regional differences, I definitely experienced it last year. Curious what you’ll have to say when you experience it!

I’m somehow having even more fun this year than last year! lol

From what I’ve seen so far I liked Duncanville’s quality of sound the most but I was impressed the most by the variety and risking taking of LD Bell 

1 minute ago, somekidsblujay said:

southlake carroll?

Big Band, Big sound! Lol

I appreciated the confidence that the wind players demonstrated throughout the performance and I really liked how SLC uses their large size to create so many complex and impactful formations on the field. I think, By virtue of them doing this they’re creating a more challenging simultaneous music + visual environment which raises the level of the performance considerably. 

2 minutes ago, onceatuba said:

Thoughts on TC?

Woweee TC I think had the most technical flexibility out of all of the groups I’ve seen so far. I think the woodwinds did such an impressive job adding shape to those ascending-descending 16th notes in the opener. There was this “arch” shape to them that I was very impressed by. And omg in the closer I was so floored by how they handled that brass fanfare with the triplets in the high brass juxtaposed by the accented quarters in the low brass.

They’re also so good at maintaining a well balanced and blended sound at big volumes, it really blows you away!