UIL Area B 5A 2021

3 hours ago, CCisd Band Parent said:

Howard Middle School,

aka a junior high band playing grade 5 lit and placing top 3 Tmea honor band

Howard is a feeder for Mansfield Summit and Mr Nugent really had an impact with them placing third tonight and advancing to state for the first time! Howard also went to the Midwest Clinic (along with Summit) when my son was in 8th grade there. He brought his assistant, Ms Hitz, for the middle school that feeds to Rock Hill, so they should be great for a while! 

13 hours ago, Quadmom68 said:

Howard is a feeder for Mansfield Summit and Mr Nugent really had an impact with them placing third tonight and advancing to state for the first time! Howard also went to the Midwest Clinic (along with Summit) when my son was in 8th grade there. He brought his assistant, Ms Hitz, for the middle school that feeds to Rock Hill, so they should be great for a while! 

I knew Ms. Hitz wouldn't be an assistant director for long just from hearing the accolades of other band directors at Midwest Clinic.

Just wait 'til her Middle Schoolers move up to high school. They will be a force in a few years.

2 hours ago, Spitfire78 said:

I knew Ms. Hitz wouldn't be an assistant director for long just from hearing the accolades of other band directors at Midwest Clinic.

Just wait 'til her Middle Schoolers move up to high school. They will be a force in a few years.

Victoria Hits is a Middle School band director in Prosper, but if I am correct she is an Assistant director at Rushing MS which feeds Prosper High School, not Rock Hill.  

Okay….. this kinda goes to show how flawed the Judging can be at times. The band who got last place had all 22s…. And a 14?!? I go to Lovejoy, and we’re all kinda upset about what happened. Finals was out of our control bc of wind, which had UIL not banned shotgun mikes, we would have been okay(we have like 60 woodwinds so sorry I judged couldn’t here us), but prelims was just ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, tubaboom44 said:

I wouldn’t get too caught up on the individual scores for the bottom half. The more mistakes there are in any two performances, the harder it becomes to differentiate. What matters is that all 5 judges generally agreed who was at the top in both prelims and finals.

Also: I was there for Lovejoy’s finals performance and most of the issues I picked up on were timing-related. From an audience POV, I’m not sure if the wind made a huge difference. All that said though, 9th came out of nowhere. I really expected 6th or maybe 5th.

Okay that’s good to know. 

On 10/24/2021 at 6:14 PM, NTXBD said:

Victoria Hits is a Middle School band director in Prosper, but if I am correct she is an Assistant director at Rushing MS which feeds Prosper High School, not Rock Hill.  

You might be right. Her title is just "Band Director"

Long story - I'll try to summarize:

While riding the escalator at Midwest Clinic, I overheard a conversation between 2 women in front of me. Complaining that they should rename the event the "Midwest White Male Director Clinic"

I walked past various rooms and ...yeah, they were correct.

Later I was seated next to a bunch of white male directors with various school credentials pinned on their suits. Ms. Hitz takes the podium to conduct. One of the directors says, "Wow, she's beautiful."

... escalator ladies were right again.

But then the other directors spoke up. "She's talented, she's smart, she has those kids in a high state of discipline, she's going to be running her own program pretty soon...

All the accolades and superlatives that ANY band director would want to hear about themselves 

On 10/24/2021 at 6:14 PM, NTXBD said:

Ah, thanks for the correction. I just assumed that she would be at Nugent's feeder school.