US Bands Spring

So i know we dont talk about the US Bands competitions much but why not! so this will be Lumberton's first time trying US Bands out and I have high hopes for them but as I am looking over the schedule, I cant help but get a little nervous. Lumberton is squished between 2 very good band progams who are most likely going to be in finals and possibly medal. this also happened at 4A state last year. Canton went on before us and Canyon went on after us and they both finished in the top 5 later on that day. If anyone wants to talk about the bands or the contest then lets talk!

Don't know much about US Bands, so I went digging to find info.

November 2, 2019

Attending bands:
Aldine

Pasadena

Bridgeland

Magnolia West

Lumberton

Seven Lakes

Grand Oaks

Kempner

Dickinson

Tomball Memorial

Klein

Ridge Point

Channelview

La Porte

Clear Lake

Klein Collins

Humble

Klein Cain

i think the top 12 will be: 

1st-Seven Lakes 

2nd-Tomball Memorial 

3rd-Pasadena Memorial 

4th-Lumberton/Klein Cain

5th-Lumberton/Klein Cain

6th-Dickinson

7th-Grand Oaks

8th-Bridgeland

9th-Ridge Point

10th-Clear Lake

11th-Channelview

12th-Klein 

after the top 8, I kinda just put some bands in. not sure for those spots

1. Seven Lakes - Not much explanation needed here. A newly emerging Houston powerhouse who’s looking to bounce back from their shocking placement at BOA Houston

2. Tomball Memorial - I haven’t seen them yet this year, but they’ve consistently performed at a very high level consistently for a while, so I find it hard to imagine they wouldn’t place well here

3. Pasadena Memorial - Probably the biggest wildcard here. From what I saw of Rebirth at USBands Conroe, they’re executing a pretty difficult music book (including Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite) at a very high level. However, there’s a lot of work to be done in the visual execution. A lot of forms are unclear and some marchers are out of time. If they can iron out the kinks in their show visually, they could possibly top Tomball

4. Klein Cain - It was a bit tough choosing between them and Lumberton, but I’m going with them solely based on size and the power of the ensemble. They have some really interesting moments in their show this year that I think will go over well with judges

5. Grand Oaks - A very strong new band in the area. They may not have seniors yet, but they’ve already beaten Willis, and their show concept this year has the potential to be an effect monster

6. Lumberton - It really hurts to put them this low, but the fact that they’re slightly smaller holds them back. The sound they produce is amazing and they’re very strong in many aspects, but I’m not sure I can see them breaking top 5

7. Klein - Their show this year is actually really fun and something I haven’t seen done much. Granted, I’m biased ( My cousin is in the band here), but I think they’ll do a bit better than people predict

8. Conroe - They have some great moments, but they have a surprising lack of sound for such a large band. I do love their soloist, but that’s about the only thing I really see driving them forward

After that we get into the bands I don’t know too much about, so these are just wild guesses

9. Dickinson

10. Bridgeland

11. Aldine - A really interesting concept, but a couple of design choices are questionable. It’s not the kids’ fault in any way, but I question giving a clarinet a solo with roots in Oriental Japanese culture, when many of those pieces were originally written for flute or reed pipe.

12. Klein Collins?

After seeing a video of Lumberton performing at UIL, I hate to be biased but I predict they will place higher than 4th-6th. Now, I haven't seen any videos of the other bands except for Grand Oaks which they were really good but I think Lumberton will edge them out of the top 5.

• 2 weeks later...