Favorite Concert Band Pieces

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really think of concert pieces I like...

On a Hymnsong of Phillip Bliss - I love this one because not only did I get to play this in band, but I got to sing it at church too. Also, it's just a pretty song and the story behind it is very touching.

October - I can't stop listening to this piece, I think another band played it, and somehow I got the mp3...it's beautiful. It almost makes me cry listening to it.

Not a concert piece, but SENSEMAYA!

:blink:

JK JK JK...don't kill me!!!

• 4 months later...

played: Javelin by Torke/Patterson ( this year)

Inglesina-Cese (8th grade)

Festal Scenes-Ito(last year)

Summer Dances-Balmages ( freshmen year)

Canarios Fantasia-Akey(8th grade)

I haven't:

30 second Scherzo-Heindeman

Symphony in Bb-Hindemith

A tribute to a good friend-Conway

Turbine-Mackey

Smyphonic Metamorphosis, Turandot Scherzo-Hindemith

Scherzo(gian Co) from Fire Water Paper: A Vietnam Oratorio-Goldenthal

Equus-Whitacre

Symphony #2 Apollo Unleashed-Ticheli

A symphonic Etude-Yvonkowsky

My preferences are very simple: I like pieces where the percussion either has a lot to do, or nothing (I don't like a piece that has nothing percussion but suspended cymbal rolls, for instance)

So...

That I've Played (or would have played, if there were perc. parts)

Blue Shades -Ticheli (nuff said)

Lux Aurumque -Whitacre (the power you get radiating off the stage when a good band hits those chords in the middle is just too much)

October -Whitacre (the ability for it to go through so many different ideas and still be cohesive amazes me)

1812 Overture -Tchaikovsky (played this one with a local community orchestra...most fun I've ever had counting rests)

That I've Heard

Awayday -Gorp (will be playing it this year for UIL...apart from the pointless percussion break 2/3 of the way through, it'd be in my top 5)

Symphonic Metamorphosis -Hindemith (Fantastic piece, culminating in one of the most famous marches of all time)

Anything by Gershwin -Gershwin (He's Gershwin...nuff said)

Anything by Bernstein -Bernstein (see note for Gershwin, apply here)

Edited by ftwdrummer

Hmm.....I thought I posted in this topic a long time ago.

Ah well.....my all-time favorite piece is Tempered Steel....first heard it nearly 10 years ago and still like it to this day.....shame you hardly ever hear it anymore.

haaa and we got to play it this year in wind symphony, jealous much ?

• 4 weeks later...

Blue Shades- Ticheli

Hounds of Spring- Alfred Reed

Havendance- Holsinger

The Red Machine- Peter Graham

i have fond memories of playing havendance. we played it at my eighth grade concert and we usually played it perfectly but for some reason all the horns managed to frack any note above fourth space e. then again, it was eighth grade.

yeah our director and mackey are pretty good friends

2 years ago we played redline tango and it cost us $1500+ to play it and he liked the way we played it

so he let us play strange humors free of charge i dont even know if we had to buy the score

and now he wants to play that new kingfish peice or whatever its called so i hope we get to play it for our last concert cuz im graduating this year and i really like his music

and yeah commando is probably the best march ive gotten to play

After hearing Avon march part of Verdi's Requiem, it's become one of my favorites. I finally downloaded it so now I have the full 40 or so minutes of greatness. I would be so happy to play that or 1812 Overture. Both are two of my favorite pieces to listen to right now.

Edited by Fata1

Pieces I've played that I absolutely adore:

-October (I've never played it in concert, but I have two copies from two years from high school when we were going to play it, then didn't)

-Southern Harmony: played it in last night's UT Symphony Band concert & was sad to turn it in

-Second Suite in F: played it my sophomore year in high school. I guess I'm biased because I had the clarinet solos, but I just LOVE it

-I can't think of the name, but I played it in region band last year and it had an amazing clarinet part. I want to say Albanian Dances, but I'm not sure..

-Cajun Folk Songs: takes me back to the junior high days when Ticheli was new (to me). It's nostalagic

-Pretty much any Sousa march. My old band director was in love with Sousa or something, but for good reason.

Pieces I've Listened to and Adored:

-O Magnum Mysterium: I didn't play in this song, but select people from my band did in our concert last night. It's so beautiful

-Red Line Tango: I am jealous of the people who got to play this in high school. Grr.

I'll have to continue this later, I guess. I have to leave for a meeting and then do la tarea de espanol. Ugh.

KINGFISHERS CATCH FIRE?!!?! if you play it, youre lucky, that piece is amazing, i heard it live at tmea with the 5a symphonic band and i was just amazed. It made me really want to be part of the 5a symphonic band again...but then college happened...LOL

yeah turns out were not gunna get to play it for uil or senior honor concert(last concert)

were sticking with strange humors which i dont mind at all=]]

• 5 months later...

March, Op 99 by Prokofiev is absolutely the best march I've ever played! Mostly because of the really fun clarinet part :)

I love Spoon River by Grainger. We played it at Midwest :)

Equus by Eric Whitacre, an amazing and chilling piece. I hope I get to play it someday.

Three Dances from the Maid of Orleans by Tchaikovsky. I heard Marcus play it at Midwest, it's absolutely brilliant. The horn part is amazing!

Nitro by Frank Ticheli :)