#TeamTexas at WGI 2017!

Prelims underway in Dayton. Great scores for Dawson and Allen so far in Scholastic A. (Allen is currently the top scoring group across both prelims venues.) In Scholastic Open, Little Elm has come out on top among the Texas groups with an 89.7, although it might be a bit of an uphill battle into the top 3. A lot of groups are in the running for that. Hendrickson is one of them. Eastlake should be good for finals. In Scholastic World, Bowie should be safe for finals. They're at 11th after prelims, and they take 15. The Woodlands has an uphill battle. They have to beat 3 groups that beat them (although not by much) in semifinals to make the finals. Given how WGI schedules the groups in reverse placement order, that could be difficult. In other news, Carmel has proven what should have been obvious to everyone: that they're far and away the best scholastic guard in the world this year. They scored over 95 in prelims. I can't recall the last time I've seen a score that high after prelims in the Scholastic World class. They might become the first guard to crack a 98 in finals, since James Logan last did it in 2005. It would be well-earned. Arabesque is an outstanding show any way you look at it. It's also the only show that made me say, "Wow!" out loud this year. (It happened when the girls put the rifles on the swings, swung them back, retrieved them from behind, tossed them way up over the swing sets, went under the sets, caught the rifles on the other side, and swung back playfully on their stomachs. They just *nail* it. And it's so difficult!)  Anyway, what a great year for the Carmel band and guard. Winning BOA *and* WGI.

I enjoyed Aimachi. Lots of baton twirling again, which makes the crowd go crazy. I don't think it'll be anywhere near enough to top Pride of Cincinnati, but we'll see!

Scholastic Open is bonkers, about 2 or so points between 1st and 12th, with about 1 point separating 3rd from 12th (Hendrickson).  They could still see a big jump.  Then again this is my first time actively following championships so I'm not sure how the dynamics work out.  

Carmel blew me away, the stuff they do with those swings is absolutely mesmerizing!  

I enjoyed the crap outta Onyx, I'm not really sure what I was watching but I enjoyed it.  

Aimachi was awesome as always, really beautiful show.  Thought it started out a tad shaky but they finished strong.

I thought CGT Dallas was excellent. I'd have them above both Imbue and Aimachi, but I'm not convinced the judges will agree with me. Much more ingenuity, as far as I'm concerned.

I love love loved CGT Dallas, I know there are probably better performed shows but that was by far and away the most I enjoyed a show today.  Super high octane and enthralling!  

POC's best performance yet this season. And it will be their SIXTH gold medal after Saturday night.

I'm no guard expert like you but yeah, that seemed super strong.  

92.1 for CGT Dallas. They're going into semifinals in 4th place. With a great performance, I think they've got what it takes to top one or both of the two groups above them. Maybe a more direct comparison will be of benefit to them. If they do manage to place in the top 3, I think it'll be the first time a Texas group has received a medal in the world class. Heck, I think 4th place would be a record, too. Good for them.

Klein Oak was on point. I don't think I've seen them have an off performance this season.

92.1 for CGT Dallas. They're going into semifinals in 4th place. With a great performance, I think they've got what it takes to top one or both of the two groups above them. Maybe a more direct comparison will be of benefit to them. If they do manage to place in the top 3, I think it'll be the first time a Texas group has received a medal in the world class. Heck, I think 4th place would be a record, too. Good for them.

Klein Oak was on point. I don't think I've seen them have an off performance this season.

Odyssey from Arlington, TX was Independent World Champion in 1986.

Bravo, Klein Oak! And to Dawson, too, for placing 5th. Congrats to Allen and Southlake Carroll as well for making finals in a very crowded field. And congrats again to the three finalists in the Scholastic Open Class: Little Elm, Hendrickson, and Eastlake. Ya did us proud! Now, on to the World Class guards. James Bowie, CGT Dallas, and Black Gold will be representing Texas in finals. Best of luck to them! After semifinals, it looks like the judges tried to set up a showdown between Pride of Cincinnati and Aimachi in the Independent class, and Carmel and Avon in the Scholastic class. It seems a bit forced to me, but who knows, maybe Aimachi and/or Avon will pull out surprise wins -- sort of like last year when POC hugely upset the SCV world guard, which had placed first in every round of every competition up until WGI Finals night. I'm mostly excited to see if CGT Dallas can force their way into the top 3. They scored a 94.1 to Imbue's 94.9 in semis. We shall see.