Cy-Fair

Clements

Pearland

the top 3 in my opinion are the past 3 years winners

in no particular order

• CTJ
  • Reagan
  • The Woodlands

miss the old days when we had some of the Dallas big -hitters at this event like Marcus, FM, LD Bell and now Hebron - not to mention the Austin players like Bowie, RR, and now Leander 

would like to see the big players compete in all the BOA competitions in Austin, Houston, Dallas and then duke it our in San Antonio for the Super Regionals

Just a thought

Here is what I think from the 6A bands coming from the Houston Area.

In CFISD, Cy Creek, Cy Falls, Langham Creek, and Cy Fair.

I pit Cypress Creek for having to perform that early. That is insane. But this is a program that has really grown over the past couple of years. This will be one of their biggest events in a while, so it will be interesting to see how they get their feet wet.

Langham Creek is coming off a spectacular year where they advanced to the finals of 6A Honor Band. Their program always seems to have a very mature sound, though I am not sure how it translates to BOA.

Cy Falls went from barely advancing last year to a 5th place finals performance at conroe, followed by another finalist performance at BOA Atlanta. This program is always a contender to make finals at conroe and this year is no different.

Cy Fair, I believe, has the ability to make finals this year. They have new uniforms, which look brilliant, but they also have a more refined purpose. They went from placing in the middle-bottom pack last year at Conroe to making 17th at BOA San Antonio, only 3 spots from finals. This program is slowly becoming the standard in the Houston area.

In Katy ISD, Taylor, Tompkins, Cinco Ranch, Morton Ranch, Katy, and Seven Lakes.

Taylor is coming off a year where they won best music and best percussion over some very high caliber programs. They placed 13th in this competition last year. So I think finals is a very good possibility for them with their great drumline and musicianship. 

Tompkins is coming off a year where they placed 13th at the UIL State Marching Contest. They have really been coming along the past couple of years. They, too, won best color guard over some very high caliber programs as well. They are on the bubble to make finals as well.

Morton Ranch and Seven Lakes are always contenders with Cinco and Katy right behind them. Seven Lakes will be dealing with a director change, so that will be interesting to see. Morton Ranch always seems to surprise at events like these. Katy competed in their first super regional last year and placed pretty well in comparison to MRHS and SLHS. Cinco has never really stepped into the BOA world, so it will be interesting what type of impression they will make. 

And in Fort Bend ISD, Clements HS.

I wish SFA would be here too. Although one of the smaller 6A bands, SFA is a definitely a force to be reckoned with. However, they had a director change, so maybe things will be changing for the better? Their Clements counterpart is here though. Clements is always one of the premier marching groups in Houston. They finaled at BOA Atlanta, and their guard is always spectacular. I love their show concepts, especially this year. I think having been to BOA Atlanta finals has matured their band a lot. This year is going to be another great year.

Oak Ridge, Langham Creek, Friendswood, Brazoswood, Reagan, and Clements were all in the top 11 in the 6A Honor Band competition last year (in that order). Of these, Reagan and Brazoswood made finals at Conroe the last two years, and Oak Ridge making finals last year. Lots of great bands this year. Glad to see Friendswood competing this year!

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the results of BOA Austin and Friendswood, here are the bands I think will make finals/have a shot at finals.

Keep in mind I am only listing bands that competed to Austin or Friendswood.

locks

Hendrickson

Reagan

TWHS

Winston Churchill

CTJ

finalist contenders

oak ridge

seven lakes

pearland

clements (if they can clean their drill, they will be locks. their music is incredible.)

dawson

Based on the results of BOA Austin and Friendswood, here are the bands I think will make finals/have a shot at finals.

Keep in mind I am only listing bands that competed to Austin or Friendswood.

locks

Hendrickson

Reagan

TWHS

Winston Churchill

CTJ

finalist contenders

oak ridge

seven lakes

pearland

clements (if they can clean their drill, they will be locks. their music is incredible.)

dawson

Didn't get a chance to see them but I imagine Friendswood will be a contender to at least make finals as usual. If anyone has a video of any of these bands, please post them.

Predictions from hornrank.com

1. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

2. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

3. The Woodlands H.S., TX

4. Hendrickson H.S., TX

5. Winston Churchill H.S., TX

6. Brazoswood H.S., TX

7. Oak Ridge H.S., TX

8. Pearland H.S., TX

9. The Woodlands College Park H.S., TX

10. James E. Taylor H.S., TX

Very interesting predictions. I do believe Friendswood has a very good chance to final. Cy-Fair is another band that definitely has the potential to final. These are two schools that beat out Oak Ridge, College Park, and Brazoswood at San Antonio a year ago. However it is still early in the season, and some bands have shows made for the long run. My prediction is that at least one school that did not make finals at BOA Conroe a year ago will show up and surprise. 

Currently watching Dawson from last year and WOW, great stuff.  I'd love for them to be in finals.  This is a surprisingly hard one to predict, lots of bands on similar levels so there is potential for a band or two to shoot up and shake things up.  

Most interesting for me is Hendrickson vs. Churchill.  I'm interested to see how Hendrickson does with another panel, I REALLY think they have something special there design wise.  Interested in what a week of cleaning can do.  

Predictions from hornrank.com

1. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

2. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

3. The Woodlands H.S., TX

4. Hendrickson H.S., TX

5. Winston Churchill H.S., TX

6. Brazoswood H.S., TX

7. Oak Ridge H.S., TX

8. Pearland H.S., TX

9. The Woodlands College Park H.S., TX

10. James E. Taylor H.S., TX

Respectfully, I don't think some of the bands listed there have the execution yet (or the show difficulty) to make finals at such a tight competition. Friendswood's 15th place finish at BOA San Antonio last year makes it impossible for me to leave them out, especially early in the year when their shows have had a tendency to be pretty clean. Hendrickson has improved a ton the past few years, so I will be following them closely. And Reagan is "back," which is awesome.

I really think my school James E. Taylor has a shot at finals this year. Just like the Horn Rank website said, we have always been right outside of finals. This year, not a lot of finalists are returning from previous years. Along with that, programs like Clements and Cypress Falls are dropped out. Also, we have been working really hard and have had our entire show learned since two weeks ago. We have rehearsed diligently and our musicality as an ensemble has really blossomed this year. That, coupled with our fantastic drumline, leads me to believe that the James E. Taylor band will make finals.