2014 BOA San Antonio Super-Regional Predictions

Jbl3770

I'm not Jbl3770 but I'd just like to agree with him.

I think the only bands that might have a shot of getting to hebron are The woodlands or CTJ, Bowie coming in on the backside. I have Leander easily placing in the top 10, probably around the 5 or 6 range. Marcus is a very good band but do not have a show that is as well built for boa as the other few bands. But I also agree the top 5 or 6 will be really close, only if Hebron doesn't pull away which theres a chance they do

Sorry - I just don't see Leander in the top spot - call me crazy - and time will tell

In my opinion I think they can win GE and rank high visually. Don't count them out. It's going to be really close at the top. I think the shows are so close this year that individual aspects are going to play a big part in the rankings this year. If only we could be on the field during all of their shows!

What the UIL results seem to corroborate is that Marcus is visually cleaner than Hebron. I thought Marcus was cleaner than Hebron early season, though once I saw some of Marcus' later movements, I started second guessing myself. I wonder how close it is now. Anyway, it's nice that there's not some totally dominant group going into SA. I expect some considerable rearrangements between prelims and finals. Sort of like last year, I guess.

My wildcards, Reagan as a finalist for sure:

So either Reagan has been getting hosed, or they've REALLY cleaned up since Conroe, because that show is starting to become pretty incredible, I could see them being up there too, and hey, last year they were 5th in finals if I remember right?  Not counting them out. I think they'll definetely make finals, but how high is my question.  

Aledo has had a pretty great year so far, I'm not sure if their show will still hold up as well against this incredible field, we'll see.  They've made finals before, maybe this is the year they can make a come back.  

Friendswood topping The Woodlands at Area F we can argue about, if it were BOA The Woodlands would come out on top.  But how close they were in prelims as well makes me wonder, in terms of music and visual ensemble performance, if the GE scores are there, are they a possible finalist as well?  They are VERY polished, we'll see how the show holds up on BOA sheets.  Another previous finalist as well, maybe it's their year to make a come back as well.  

If Hendrickson can put on a show like they did at Area prelims and they're clean on the field, I think they can make it.  We'll see, the show is very well designed. 

Then there's The Woodlands College Park, a VERY impressive showing from them at Conroe, we'll see if that can translate to San Antonio.  

As stated earlier, Lake Ridge is a new school on the rise, impressive last year, more impressive this year.  I could see this show doing VERY well in BOA, is this their first BOA appearance?  

Lake Ridge went to BOA Allen last year, but placed somewhere in the mid-teens (I think 17th)? But they went on to make State finals and I think they even won Area B as a third year school. Their visual packaging and their execution of it is absolutely insane. I think it'll translate well to BOA this year. 

TWCP isn't attending this regional.

Well I don't think Leander will win, I think the top four will be hebron, woodlands, CTJ and either Bowie or Marcus. Don't get me wrong Leander is a very good band. I just don't think they can compete with the other big dawgs. Hebrons show has all kind of technical demand, CTJ is very similar. Marcus and TW both have almost perfect visual effects. I think Bowie and Leander both just kind of go for GE. I think Bowie is more musical and Leander is more visual, but this year I think that Woodlands and Hebron have more GE.

1-3 alphabetical

CTJ

Hebron

Woodlands

4-6 alphabetical

Bowie

Leander

Marcus

7-9 alphabetical

Flowermound

LD Bell

Round Rock

10-14 alphabetical

Aledo

Cedar Park

Ronald Reagan

Spring

Vandegrift

Music:

1) Hebron

2) CTJ

3) Bowie

Visual

1) The Woodlands

2 Marcus

3) Leander

GE

1) Hebron

2) The Woodlands

3) Leander

My predictions

1) Hebron

2) CTJ

3) The Woodlands

4) Marcus

5) Bowie

6) Leander

7) Flowermound

8) LD Bell

9) Round Rock

10) Ronald Reagan

11) Cedar Park

12) Aledo

13) Vandegrift

14) Spring

Music- Hebron, CTJ

Visual- The Woodlands, Marcus

GE- Hebron, The Woodlands

Bubble Bands:

1) Westlake

2) Friendswood

3) LV Berkner

4) Hendrickson

5) Vista Ridge

6) Winston Churchill

7) Keller Central

8) Keller

9) Richland

10) Jackson Academy (from Mississippi)

Again these are my personal predictions! I love all of the bands and my predictions are probably completely wrong.

Well I don't think Leander will win, I think the top four will be hebron, woodlands, CTJ and either Bowie or Marcus. Don't get me wrong Leander is a very good band. I just don't think they can compete with the other big dawgs. Hebrons show has all kind of technical demand, CTJ is very similar. Marcus and TW both have almost perfect visual effects. I think Bowie and Leander both just kind of go for GE. I think Bowie is more musical and Leander is more visual, but this year I think that Woodlands and Hebron have more GE.

1-3 alphabetical

CTJ

Hebron

Woodlands

4-6 alphabetical

Bowie

Leander

Marcus

7-9 alphabetical

Flowermound

LD Bell

Round Rock

10-14 alphabetical

Aledo

Cedar Park

Ronald Reagan

Spring

Vandegrift

Music:

1) Hebron

2) CTJ

3) Bowie

Visual

1) The Woodlands

2 Marcus

3) Leander

GE

1) Hebron

2) The Woodlands

3) Leander

My predictions

1) Hebron

2) CTJ

3) The Woodlands

4) Marcus

5) Bowie

6) Leander

7) Flowermound

8) LD Bell

9) Round Rock

10) Ronald Reagan

11) Cedar Park

12) Aledo

13) Vandegrift

14) Spring

Music- Hebron, CTJ

Visual- The Woodlands, Marcus

GE- Hebron, The Woodlands

Bubble Bands:

1) Westlake

2) Friendswood

3) LV Berkner

4) Hendrickson

5) Vista Ridge

6) Winston Churchill

7) Keller Central

8) Keller

9) Richland

10) Jackson Academy (from Mississippi)

Again these are my personal predictions! I love all of the bands and my predictions are probably completely wrong.

I was told that LD Bell took the visual caption at Denton BOA. You think 8th over all.  

Again these are just my predictions, my personal opinions. But that was also more than a month ago, the other bands have dramatically improved since then. And I think LD Bell is struggling a little with some spots in their music, and I think they will be just barely behind the top 6. I don't really know who will win between Flowermound and bell, I just think Flowermound has a better fitting boa show.

I've already revised my list like 10 times, and i'll probably keep changing it

1. CTJ

2. The Woodlands

3. Leander

4. Hebron

5. Marcus

6. Bowie

7. Round Rock

8. Flower Mound

9. Ronald Reagan

10. LD Bell

(This is where i really don't know where to put who, and even if these bands will for sure make finals.)

11. Cedar Park

12. Vandegrift

13. Spring

14. Richland

Lake Ridge went to BOA Allen last year, but placed somewhere in the mid-teens (I think 17th)? But they went on to make State finals and I think they even won Area B as a third year school. Their visual packaging and their execution of it is absolutely insane. I think it'll translate well to BOA this year. 

TWCP isn't attending this regional.

They actually won Area B as a second year school and is the youngest band in TX history to make State finals. Lots of great things happening over there.

Just a side note they should have a section where all the members on TxBands can sit, preferably right with the 50 yardline lol (i wishXD)

But I cant wait for this weekend, it's going to be interesting to see which band comes out on top.

In my opinion it'll come down to the band with the most confident and focused run through of their show.

Good luck to all the bands at this competition!:)

Friendswood topping The Woodlands at Area F we can argue about, if it were BOA The Woodlands would come out on top.  But how close they were in prelims as well makes me wonder, in terms of music and visual ensemble performance, if the GE scores are there, are they a possible finalist as well?  They are VERY polished, we'll see how the show holds up on BOA sheets.  Another previous finalist as well, maybe it's their year to make a come back as well.  

Numbers wise, The Woodlands had one judge rank them 8th in music at Area finals, so that partially explains Friendswood's victory there, but I will not Friendswood for placing over bands like Spring (though I did not see any of the bands from Area F with the exception of a video of The Woodlands, so I can't tell much performance-wise. But dang The Woodlands has improved a TON since BOA Conroe).

I'll keep an eye on Friendswood for SA finals...

I need to raise my hand and call spoiler alert for LD Bell.  I am awed by their visual presentation and hoping that they can bring a little more power to their musical performance for BOA because my take is that their music is a little too subtle. For all you conspiracy theorists, I've also come to believe that "reputation points" play a bigger role at BOASA than you may think.  LD Bell has played at GN several times and they are a well known entity.  I'll pick them for top 5. I think we should all also remember that TWHS won a very important eagle last year--the judges know this and I truly believe they will get the benefit of the doubt if it is close. 

Lastly, the Flower Mound and Leander shows both have wonderful visual appeal and will be crowd favorites.  However, neither appear to have the musical hammer that is required to crack the top tier.  A big group of us were able to see FloMo, Hebron, and Marcus play back to back at UIL Region a couple weeks ago and you could very easily see the separation between programs.  I felt the same after watching a couple of the Leander videos.  My guess is that their time is coming soon.

Woodlands

Hebron

CTJ

Marcus

LD Bell

Bowie

FloMo

Leander

Ronald Reagan

Round Rock

Did Lake Ridge open as a full school their first year with Freshman to Seniors?

i graduated from lakeridge last year and they did open as a full school but there were very few juniors and seniors and not a ton of sophmores. we actually calculated and the average age of the band the first year was around 14.5 because half the band were freshmen. now i dont now if every band has a low amount of seniors but they had 10 seniors the first year around 13 last year and should have near 20 now.  

i graduated from lakeridge last year and they did open as a full school but there were very few juniors and seniors and not a ton of sophmores. we actually calculated and the average age of the band the first year was around 14.5 because half the band were freshmen. now i dont now if every band has a low amount of seniors but they had 10 seniors the first year around 13 last year and should have near 20 now.  

Wow. Kudos to you guys for being able to perform such a fantastic and high-demanding show with so few upper classmen!

Part of the excitement is going to be not knowing how Leander stacks up against the "big boys" until after finals, since Leander is class AAA, and BOA only announces the top 3 in each class after prelims. Add that to the high potential for rearrangement among all the groups between prelims and finals, and I think you've got a pretty thrilling competition.

I think there are a few dominant schools in each category, but not one that stands out in all like marcus did in 2012. For example:

I think Hebron is dominant in music, CTJ right behind. I think visual will go to the woodlands, Leander or marcus. And GE will either go to Hebron or Woodlands, possibly Leander or CTJ. But I'm not really focusing on the captions. Last year Hebron won prelims without taking a caption. That's never happened before, but who's to say that it won't happen again? It's not likely but certainly possible. Usually the best all around show wins, and I think that's between hebron and the woodlands