(Very Early) State Predictions

I agree with you, and I think more discussion is needed on the subject. I think more people should watch videos of other bands. It's easy to assume Marcus, Bell, Hebron, etc are good (and they are), but I agree that people should pay more attention to bands like Coppell. 

Thanks - there are certainly several other bands that get mentioned often - but it seems to be a regional thing.  I.e. in Houston one will hear of TWHS and Spring, etc.  In Austin - Bowie, Westlake, Cedar Park, Reagan, CTJ.  And I agree with you JM - they ARE all good bands.  But when N. Texas is talked about - it's almost always just Hebron, Marcus & LDBell (though surprisingly they didn't make it this year - I heard it was close) - but never Coppell.  

I agree with an earlier poster that said it's going to be a bloodbath making Finals in SA - at least for the bottom 3-5.  Can probably expect Marcus, Hebron, Woodlands, Bowie (and I would like to think Coppell).  But are those bands really that much better than all the others that they ALWAYS take the top spots??  I go back to my college football analogy - ESPN clearly favors the SEC.  And all the networks clearly favor P5 conferences over any other.  There's just so much "built in" predisposition to the top names - that I think it must have some subconscious impact on the judges objectivism.

Thanks - there are certainly several other bands that get mentioned often - but it seems to be a regional thing.  I.e. in Houston one will hear of TWHS and Spring, etc.  In Austin - Bowie, Westlake, Cedar Park, Reagan, CTJ.  

Cedar Park is in 4A, so they don't compete with the bands you mentioned.

I agree on coppell. And it's not just compel. Like what about Haltom? I love Haltom. Their show is fantastic. They may not quite be as good as day marcus or hebron, but they are still a very good band. And duncanville is up there too. They tied coppell. I think it's possible that Coppell, Haltom, duncanville, flomo, hebron, and marcus all make state finals. That would be crazy

I agree with you, and I think more discussion is needed on the subject. I think more people should watch videos of other bands. It's easy to assume Marcus, Bell, Hebron, etc are good (and they are), but I agree that people should pay more attention to bands like Coppell. 

This is something I have noticed as well and I'm not really sure why.  There used to be the excuse that Coppell did more UIL-centric shows and never really scored well at BOA, but lately even though they've done exceptionally well at BOA, no one really talks about them....at least not in the same way that they talk about bands like Bell, Marcus, Hebron, Bowie, the Woodlands.  Even your next tier of bands (who Coppell has actually placed higher than in many cases) often get more love: Berkner, SFA, Cedar Park, Vandegrift, Richland, Aledo etc.

Coppell holds the record for most students to make the All-State band in one year - .....19.   Yeah....

This is something I have noticed as well and I'm not really sure why.  There used to be the excuse that Coppell did more UIL-centric shows and never really scored well at BOA, but lately even though they've done exceptionally well at BOA, no one really talks about them....at least not in the same way that they talk about bands like Bell, Marcus, Hebron, Bowie, the Woodlands.  Even your next tier of bands (who Coppell has actually placed higher than in many cases) often get more love: Berkner, SFA, Cedar Park, Vandegrift, Richland, Aledo etc.

Coppell holds the record for most students to make the All-State band in one year - .....19.   Yeah....

19 All-Staters has more to do with area alignment, methinks, but I agree they are a good band.

Coppell's definitely in the toughest TMEA Area. They have to compete with Duncanville and the rest of central and south Dallas, North Austin where the LISD schools generally compete up in 6A and RRISD with Westwood in particular as a big all state factory, and North Houston where Conroe ISD, Klein ISD and Spring ISD push tons and tons of fantastic players as well.

If anything Coppell's area alignment affirms this record and makes it even more impressive.

It's already been a crazy year that has teams like LD Bell and Round Rock on the outside looking in.  The surprises will not end there and here's how I see it:

1.   The Woodlands

2.   Bowie

3.   Johnson

4.   Hebron

5.   Marcus

6.   Reagan

7.   Coppell

8.   Westlake

9.   O'Connor

10. Flower Mound

------------- First five out -----------

11. Haltom

12. Keller

13. Duncanville

14. Spring

15. Cedar Ridge

It's already been a crazy year that has teams like LD Bell and Round Rock on the outside looking in.  The surprises will not end there and here's how I see it:

1.   The Woodlands

2.   Bowie

3.   Johnson

4.   Hebron

5.   Marcus

6.   Reagan

7.   Coppell

8.   Westlake

9.   O'Connor

10. Flower Mound

------------- First five out -----------

11. Haltom

12. Keller

13. Duncanville

14. Spring

15. Cedar Ridge

i hope you are wrong on this one :)

We shall see!

Lets not forget L.V. Berkner HS Band consistent attendance in the UIL State Finals every year so far except for that one year. But you know anything can happen because really, it is not really that predictable even if it so appears to be. xD For all we know the band that we might not expect to make 1st place is that band or vice versa. This is going to be a interesting competition and interesting year. :l

Lets not forget L.V. Berkner HS Band consistent attendance in the UIL State Finals every year so far except for that one year. But you know anything can happen because really, it is not really that predictable even if it so appears to be. xD For all we know the band that we might not expect to make 1st place is that band or vice versa. This is going to be a interesting competition and interesting year. :l

You guys sounded great when I saw you at Region! Berkner is definitely in the mix. They're a group that observers tend to underestimate heading into State, but they know how to throw down two great performances in the Dome. Good luck on Tuesday!

This year is incredibly rough, everyone is on their A Game. Who
knows who will when?

My Predictions

1. Marcus
  2. Bowie
  3. Hebron
  4. CTJ
  5. The Woodlands
  6. Reagan
  7. Flower Mound
  8. Coppell
  9. Cedar Ridge
  10. Friendswood

Bubble Bands
Westlake(Has A Great Track Record In UIL Competitions)

Duncanville(May Come Back To Finals)
Berkner(Also has good record)

Haltom(edged out Bell)
Spring

Austin

This year is incredibly rough, everyone is on their A Game. Who

knows who will when?

My Predictions

1. Marcus
  2. Bowie
  3. Hebron
  4. CTJ
  5. The Woodlands
  6. Reagan
  7. Flower Mound
  8. Coppell
  9. Cedar Ridge
  10. Friendswood

Bubble Bands

Westlake(Has A Great Track Record In UIL Competitions)

Duncanville(May Come Back To Finals)

Berkner(Also has good record)

Haltom(edged out Bell)

Spring

Austin

Don't forget Haltom also beat out Coppell just two days ago.