How's Everyone Doin' With All-State?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Coppell again? I just know that there were some very good saxes at the auditions yesterday at what our principal loves to call "The Ridge". I forgot what school they were from, but I think it might have been Coppell... stupid 300-people bands. I hate it when HS marching bands number more than 250ish. Anyhow, I got to monitor in the tenor/bari sax room instead of percussion for some reason undiclosed to me by the band director. Some of those tenor saxes made me crack up at how good they were. Besides that...

Congrats to Bronson Armijo (bari sax), Tony Bokaie (trumpet; unfortunately, our second best and section leader (definitely not by playing ability) got 15th, and our other trumpets got even lower. It'll take more than just wheaties for our trumpets to compare to other schools), Ryan Cooper(bass/?tenor? trombone(and the whole t-bone section... arguably the best wind section overall in the band)), Sean Havrilla (English horn and possibly oboe... definitely at least 2nd place.) for making 1st places. I don't know if anyone else made first. Flutes also only had one of us make high (Lucy Hires). Funny that the one who acts like section leader all the time just because Lucy isn't there all the time made lower than those who she tries to "lead". Enough ranting... congrats all.

Coppell is west of the north part of Dallas and north of the city of Irving

oo ok, isnt there the ATSSB in TMEA that have their own all state band? and i think you can even try out for 4a all state..check with your director..since 4a people are allowed to try on the 5a track too, i thnk for a 2a or 3a you can go for for 4a or 5a too. you should do it.

It would be pretty cool to do that. Its probly different music though right?

Yeah, so I was one out of area... again. But I'm not too shaken up by it.

If the judges don't want to reward phrasing and musicality, well then that's not my problem.

I still made 7th chair in the state on string bass, so I'll have fun in San Antonio anyways.

Eh...phrasing and musicality is what Solo & Ensemble is for.

I know when it comes to region auditions, you could have no musical expression save for what's on the page, but as long as you cross every "t" and dot every "i" you should rank highly. It sucks, but that's the way it is. Many of my professors in my college have a few qualms with the all-state audition process, but that's another rant.

It's funny... I didn't practice this year at all besides the band-camp practices for All-State, and our section leader this year made 5th, three off from progressing to Area. Given that he was beaten only by seniors, he'll probably be first next year... but I've heard that some Leander percussion section leaders thought I was the best drummer on our line. Hmm. It's a bitter thing to swallow.

Your band must hate each other...

Yeah. It's a wonder we even sometimes do well at all...

I remember overhearing a conversation last year between our old percussion director and our assistant director talking about the little "cliques" they noticed... they thought it was pretty funny. I find the whole situation particularly sad on an entirely new level... I find it hard to bear. I wonder if it has anything at all to do with our band director's tendency to randomly yell at people?

It seems like a lot of new section leaders thought he was a good example. :(

I fear becoming as arrogant and foolish as they are...

Went to Region yesterday. Got there around 4 and didn't leave until after 10. Didn't make it. I'm not surprised since I've never made Region Band (and never really wanted to, to be honest), but since it was my senior year I was more disappointed than usual, especially since my BD seemed convinced that I would at least make it to phase 2. *shrugs* Oh well. Now comes my favorite part of Region Band tryouts: "retiring" the Region music... *gets out paper shredder and matches*

Went to Region yesterday. Got there around 4 and didn't leave until after 10. Didn't make it. I'm not surprised since I've never made Region Band (and never really wanted to, to be honest), but since it was my senior year I was more disappointed than usual, especially since my BD seemed convinced that I would at least make it to phase 2. *shrugs* Oh well. Now comes my favorite part of Region Band tryouts: "retiring" the Region music... *gets out paper shredder and matches*

eh, i dont have a paper shredder but eh, lets just say, i burned the music...*evil!*