The Addition of 6A and Redistricting 2014-15

How do you guys think redistricting is going to affect future state marching contests and marching band in general? Based on what I saw (mostly speculation), many of the large current 4A bands (Cedar Park, Friendswood, Dawson, etc.) will be placed in the 6A classification. 

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/12/uil-releases-classification-cutoffs-for-2014-16-realignment/

Edit: Obviously no longer speculation. See the linked Houston Chronicle article. Two of the high schools likely moving up to 6A are Friendswood and Dawson. 

6A: 2,100 and higher

5A: 1,060 - 2,099

4A: 465 - 1,059

3A: 220 - 464

2A: 105 - 219

1A: 104.9 and below

2012 Alignment Cutoffs:

5A - 2090+

4A - 1005-2089

3A - 450-1004

2A - 200-449

1A - 1-199

1A-Six-Man-Football - 1-99.9

2014 Alignment Cutoffs:

6A - 2100+

5A - 1060-2099

4A - 465-1059

3A - 220-464

2A - 105-219

1A - 1-104.9

Note that the cutoff between 5A-6A is actually 10 students higher than 4A-5A was in 2012. So, Friendswood isn't moving up to 6A because of the new cutoffs, but rather because they grew in size.

The numbering change up to 6A is in actuality, only an administrative change and doesn't really change anything else.

Football had already been acting like there were 6 conferences (thanks to 6-man-football), and they will continue to do so. All the other activities (including music) were acting like there were only 5 conferences and they will also still continue to do so.

UIL Music and All UIL activities other than Football will continue to act like there are only 5 conferences, exactly as they always have, they will just be named slightly different:

- 6A

- 5A

- 4A

- 3A

- 1A/2A

For all UIL activities other than Football, 1A and 2A will be combined into a single conference.

The really big shocker for me on the schools that will be actually changing conferences (to me, moving from old 4A to new 5A is not an actual change) is Highland Park moving up from being constantly the largest (or next to largest) (old)4A to barely being in (new)6A.

Cedar Park is not moving up, they are "staying" 5A.

Notable movement:

- Friendswood 4A -> 6A

- Rouse 4A -> 6A

- McKinney 5A -> 5A

http://www.texasfootball.com/highschool-news/view/180673

Good article. It also lists the enrollment numbers for every high school in Texas. 

Do they have Allen listed differently? Didn't see them on the list. Also, what's up with "Fort Worth Richland" and "Fort Worth Haltom"? They have "North Richland Hills Birdville," so I don't understand how Haltom and Richland ended up listed as Fort Worth schools. Weird. Anyway, I don't think it really changes all that much. Am looking forward to seeing the new alignments come February, so we can see who we're going to be playing against.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...