2013 BOA St Louis Super Regional

Congratulations to Birdville and Keller Central for doing a great job representing Texas at the BOA St Louis Super Regional!

And congratulations to Keller Central for making Finals!

Prelims Results:
Class A:
1) Union City, TN
2) Marshall, MN
3) Berryhill, OK
Outstanding Music Performance: Union City, TN
Outstanding Visual Performance: Union City, TN
Outstanding General Effect: Union City,TN

Class AA:
1) Bellevue West, NE
2) Air Academy, CO
3) Marian Catholic, IL
Outstanding Music Performance: Air Academy, CO

Outstanding Visual Performance: Bellevue West, NE
Outstanding General Effect: Bellevue West, NE

Class AAA:
1) Rosemount, MN
2) Prospect, IL
3) Irondale, MN
Outstanding Music Performance: Prospect, IL
Outstanding Visual Performance: Prospect, IL
Outstanding General Effect: Rosemount, MN

Class AAAA:
1) Broken Arrow, OK
2) Owasso, OK
3) Blue Springs, MO
Outstanding Music Performance: Broken Arrow, OK
Outstanding Visual Performance: Broken Arrow, OK
Outstanding General Effect: Broken Arrow, OK

Finalists:
Blue Springs, MO
Broken Arrow, OK
Prospect, IL
Marian Catholic, IL
Irondale, MN
Rosemount, MN
Bellevue West, NE
O'Fallon Township, IL
Bentonville, AR
Jenks, OK
Air Academy, CO
Owasso, OK
Keller Central, TX
Kickapoo, MO

Finals Results

89.35 - Broken Arrow H.S., OK

85.10 - Blue Springs H.S., MO

84.50 - Owasso H.S., OK

83.35 - Marian Catholic H.S., IL

83.25 - Keller Central H.S., TX

82.10 - Prospect H.S., IL

81.70 - Rosemount H.S., MN

81.05 - Irondale H.S., MN

79.25 - Bellevue West H.S., NE

78.65 - O'Fallon Township H.S., IL

78.35 - Jenks H.S., OK

77.20 - Kickapoo H.S., MO

77.10 - Air Academy H.S., CO

76.95 - Bentonville H.S., AR

Outstanding Music Performance - Broken Arrow H.S., OK

Outstanding Visual Performance - Prospect H.S., IL

Outstanding General Effect - Broken Arrow H.S., OK

Finals Results

89.35 - Broken Arrow H.S., OK

85.10 - Blue Springs H.S., MO

84.50 - Owasso H.S., OK

83.35 - Marian Catholic H.S., IL

83.25 - Keller Central H.S., TX

82.10 - Prospect H.S., IL

81.70 - Rosemount H.S., MN

81.05 - Irondale H.S., MN

79.25 - Bellevue West H.S., NE

78.65 - O'Fallon Township H.S., IL

78.35 - Jenks H.S., OK

77.20 - Kickapoo H.S., MO

77.10 - Air Academy H.S., CO

76.95 - Bentonville H.S., AR

Outstanding Music Performance - Broken Arrow H.S., OK

Outstanding Visual Performance - Prospect H.S., IL

Outstanding General Effect - Broken Arrow H.S., OK

I thought that Keller Central had a really nice show at BOA Allen last week and I remember thinking that they had an outside chance at top 5. Plus I really liked the white uniforms with red plumes. Awesome...congratulations for your hard work!

BTW--that 89.35 score for Broken Arrow is absurdly high. Reputation points? I'm not sure that even Marcus has won something by over 4 points.

I thought that Keller Central had a really nice show at BOA Allen last week and I remember thinking that they had an outside chance at top 5. Plus I really liked the white uniforms with red plumes. Awesome...congratulations for your hard work!

BTW--that 89.35 score for Broken Arrow is absurdly high. Reputation points? I'm not sure that even Marcus has won something by over 4 points.

I'd have to guess it's because Broken Arrow is ending their season much earlier than usual-- their show, from what I hear, isn't as demanding as usual. They're skipping out on Indy to go play at Carnegie Hall in the spring.

Did you watch the finals? Broken Arrow was just that much better than Blue Springs. I don't think the score was absurdly high. They earned it! Besides, Broken Arrow has proven themselves a consistently better band than Marcus, so the comparison to Marcus' ranges over other bands is not a valid one in this case. I'm not taking anything away from Marcus' impressive record by any means, but Broken Arrow got what they deserved.

To the best of my knowledge, the one time BA and Marcus competed against each other, Marcus came out on top (GN 09). Not sure that makes BA a consistently better band than Marcus. Just because Marcus doesn't go to GN often doesn't mean they probably wouldn't have won it twice already if they had gone every year. ;)

I agree. *cough* 2007 and 2012 *cough* ;)

To the best of my knowledge, the one time BA and Marcus competed against each other, Marcus came out on top (GN 09). Not sure that makes BA a consistently better band than Marcus. Just because Marcus doesn't go to GN often doesn't mean they probably wouldn't have won it twice already if they had gone every year. ;)

It also doesn't mean they would have won had they been there. Broken Arrow has attended 11 times and won twice. Marcus went once and was 4th. We can only measure what has been done at the Grand National level and use those metrics. See Below:

(Place, Score, School, Year)

2 95.70 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2012

1 95.95 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2011

2 96.25 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2010

6 92.75 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2009

6 93.35 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2008

6 91.85 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2007

1 96.75 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2006

12 86.00 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2001

12 85.80 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2000

7 90.45 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 1999

11 88.35 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 1998

4 94.50 Marcus H.S., TX 2009

I'm not taking anything away from Marcus, but was just stating the fact that Broken Arrow has proven themselves -- not by my opinions, but by their accomplishments and that their recent score in St. Louis of 89.35 was not an absurdly high score for them. But in my opinion, a band with 11 GN finals appearances has proven themselves a better band than a band with 1. It doesn't matter what may have happened IF Marcus had gone because they didn't go. I personally think they would have done well after 2004 which, by the way, was the first time that they made the finals (12th) in San Antonio. In 2003, they were 21st in the prelims and didn't make the SA finals.

Again, I have nothing but respect for Marcus. Their stellar record the last 8 or 9 years is amazing and I can't wait to see how well they do in the GN's (as well as the other 4 TX bands)!

It also doesn't mean they would have won had they been there. Broken Arrow has attended 11 times and won twice. Marcus went once and was 4th. We can only measure what has been done at the Grand National level and use those metrics. See Below:

(Place, Score, School, Year)

2 95.70 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2012

1 95.95 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2011

2 96.25 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2010

6 92.75 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2009

6 93.35 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2008

6 91.85 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2007

1 96.75 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2006

12 86.00 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2001

12 85.80 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 2000

7 90.45 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 1999

11 88.35 Broken Arrow H.S., OK 1998

4 94.50 Marcus H.S., TX 2009

I'm not taking anything away from Marcus, but was just stating the fact that Broken Arrow has proven themselves -- not by my opinions, but by their accomplishments and that their recent score in St. Louis of 89.35 was not an absurdly high score for them. But in my opinion, a band with 11 GN finals appearances has proven themselves a better band than a band with 1. It doesn't matter what may have happened IF Marcus had gone because they didn't go. I personally think they would have done well after 2004 which, by the way, was the first time that they made the finals (12th) in San Antonio. In 2003, they were 21st in the prelims and didn't make the SA finals.

Again, I have nothing but respect for Marcus. Their stellar record the last 8 or 9 years is amazing and I can't wait to see how well they do in the GN's (as well as the other 4 TX bands)!

Shouldn't we point out that a band can't prove itself "better" just from the fact that it has the means or desire to attend a gnats every year? 

They're both great bands. Let's leave it at that.