Texas Bands at Grand Nationals

I think James Bowie will be in the top four and is a dark horse for a medal. Fifth will more than likely be Tarpon. In my opinion 6-9 belongs to Ronald Reagan, Marian Catholic, Lawrence Central and William Mason.

I think Marian Catholic will almost without question place in the top 5, and probably higher than Bowie. They scored very, VERY well at the Indianapolis regional several weeks ago. Given their regular trajectory, which always involves peaking right at nationals, they'll probably be in contention for the eagle.

I have Bowie firmly around 5th or 6th. I don't see them medaling, since that would require beating three of these groups, all of whom are having fantastic years: Avon, Broken Arrow, Carmel, Marian Catholic, and Tarpon Springs. For what it's worth, Bowie *might* medal in music performance, but I'm not even sure about that. Something interesting to note is Andre Feagin's placement of Bowie at UIL state finals. He's also a frequent BOA judge as of recent, and if you look at his state scores near the top, they look *somewhat* like BOA placements. He had Bowie 5th, behind, in order, Marcus, The Woodlands, LD Bell, and Berkner.

I think Marian Catholic will almost without question place in the top 5, and probably higher than Bowie. They scored very, VERY well at the Indianapolis regional several weeks ago. Given their regular trajectory, which always involves peaking right at nationals, they'll probably be in contention for the eagle.

I have Bowie firmly around 5th or 6th. I don't see them medaling, since that would require beating three of these groups, all of whom are having fantastic years: Avon, Broken Arrow, Carmel, Marian Catholic, and Tarpon Springs. For what it's worth, Bowie *might* medal in music performance, but I'm not even sure about that. Something interesting to note is Andre Feagin's placement of Bowie at UIL state finals. He's also a frequent BOA judge as of recent, and if you look at his state scores near the top, they look *somewhat* like BOA placements. He had Bowie 5th, behind, in order, Marcus, The Woodlands, LD Bell, and Berkner.

I saw Bowie at State on Tuesday, and I'm not sure they can capture the music caption against the likes of Avon, Carmel, etc. They were certainly powerful, but there were a lot of moments when the kids seemed to lose a bit of control and "let loose." That can't happen this weekend if they are aiming for the top.

I saw Bowie at State on Tuesday, and I'm not sure they can capture the music caption against the likes of Avon, Carmel, etc. They were certainly powerful, but there were a lot of moments when the kids seemed to lose a bit of control and "let loose." That can't happen this weekend if they are aiming for the top.

I agree. I think the music caption will be between Avon and Carmel. They are both incredibly strong in that category. I'm super excited for both Bowie and Reagan, though. It will be neat to see Reagan in Grand Nationals for the first time since they split. And I'm sure they will do well. Their old-school-Reagan plume change feature with the clarinet and the EWI will no doubt get an INSANE reaction at Indianapolis from those in the crowd who remember the plume change clarinet feature from "The Journey Within" back in 2002. It will be SUCH a great moment. I think Bowie will fight for a top 5 as well, but it will be one heck of a fight. Can't wait!

I saw Bowie Tuesday at State. I came to Grand Nats to see Reagan and saw Avon and Carmel today in prelims. From what I have seen, they are powerhouse bands but crawling around on the ground and being overshadowed by props doesn't showcase their marching capabilities. I hate to admit it, but Bowie has a good chance of taking it this year. They have an enormous sound, excellent musicality and their drill and music is incredibly difficult. If they execute it well they will be tough to beat. We have been beaten by them twice now.

you mention Carmel's crawling around on the ground as if it were a bad thing. It's part of their show, it's a spider themed show, of course they are crawling around on the ground. Their music is AWESOME, beating Avon at the Indiana state finals last week. I wouldn't overlook the marching Greyhounds if I were any GN band this weekend.

I can do a thread with a lot of Semi's and Final's? I will be streaming it all Saturday, well, except when I am at Region orchestra.

Will it be shown in the same place on the web site? If not could you please post the link you will use and thanks again so very much from all us parents that can't be there with the kids. Ya'll are the best!

you mention Carmel's crawling around on the ground as if it were a bad thing. It's part of their show, it's a spider themed show, of course they are crawling around on the ground. Their music is AWESOME, beating Avon at the Indiana state finals last week. I wouldn't overlook the marching Greyhounds if I were any GN band this weekend.

It's not a bad thing, I would like to see more marching and playing at the same time, because it is harder to do. I think the show is cool...I like the spider theme and they will surely be up there for visual. They are great, I just think from what I have seen from Bowie, they seem to have an extremely difficult show that they have performed very well. Their music is absolutely gorgeous.

Bowie - top 5

Reagan - 6-10

That's about as specific as I can get.

Which is the better competiiton, Grand Nats or San Antonio super regional? I'm pretty sure Marcus would dominate in Indy this year. How many of the Texas bands would make finals at Nationals if all of the top groups were there?

Bowie - top 5

Reagan - 6-10

That's about as specific as I can get.

Which is the better competiiton, Grand Nats or San Antonio super regional? I'm pretty sure Marcus would dominate in Indy this year. How many of the Texas bands would make finals at Nationals if all of the top groups were there?

I'm going out on a limb here and declaring San Antonio the "grand nats" of Texas. I do so not to put down or degrade the one in Indy, but only because SA brings out the best in Texas and not very many bands can make the trip to Indy. I think if more Texas bands could go, it would change the lineups for semis and finals a lot. There would still be fantastic bands that normally go to Indy at the top, too, but you would see "Texas" many times as well. I'm not biased or anything....... :lol: