UIL Texas State Championships

Wow! Well Congrats to the Forney Band!

Although it is sad to see those kids at Poteet punished for an innocent mistake. I have very mixed feelings about the decision.

My child is in Forney band we are sorry for Poteet but our kids are so excited about going to State. Wish us luck and again sorry for Poteet i feel for their kids.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My child is in Forney band we are sorry for Poteet but our kids are so excited about going to State. Wish us luck and again sorry for Poteet i feel for their kids.

I definitely wish you guys the best of luck. I have no doubt Forney will be going after the title as hard as possible knowing that this is like a "2nd Chance" sort of situation for them.

Definitely excited to see you guys there. =]

Sad day for Poteet, so sorry to hear this. I really feel for those kids.
UIL Directors should be embarrassed. Istead of handling this correctly before area, they made the band kids go through this misery twice. I hope none of you kids ever have to face these idiots for a mionr mistake. I can't believe out taxes are paying these jokers.

UIL Directors should be embarrassed. Istead of handling this correctly before area, they made the band kids go through this misery twice. I hope none of you kids ever have to face these idiots for a mionr mistake. I can't believe out taxes are paying these jokers.

It seems like there was too much of a gray area to handle this right away.

It seems like there was too much of a gray area to handle this right away.

Its very sad for the kids, all of them its been quite and emotional roller coaster for all involved. I am happy for our kids in Forney but feel for Poteets kids it was not their fault a mistake was made. I to wish this would have been handled before area so NONE of these bands had to go through this. Its a hard situation for all involved.

Any predictions for 2A?

I'm not really great at making predictions, but I feel Clifton (my former band) has opened the door for several bands to place high. They haven't been up to par the last 2 marching seasons and it definitely showed at Area.

Once Clifton got away from playing Cirque Du Soleil shows, they have been on a downward path. (But they are still a strong band program). Look for CH Yoe to be the dark horse and maybe finally de-throne Queen City from it's throne!

I would like to chime in just for sec on this.... People can sit here and cry about the UIL system all they want, but in the end all I want is for them to make the correct choice. I feel like they did make the correct call at the end of the day, but I to wish they had made this before area. With that all being said we can get on to what this topic is about and thats the contest.

Forney has been handed what I believe is a great spot for prelims, now if they can fix those cover downs and work out a few music bugs they just may surprise a few people here, and actually take advantage of this chance.

Pearce is my unknown, I love the show and the tubas but don't know how this show will do at state but I expect a great show.

Waxahachie is fantastic this year. They have very little to fix and some problems are just focus issues like horns up to early and a few rips in the brass playing but nothing practice can't fix.

All I have seen from Area D is on videos (Thank You for those BTW) I like Cedar Park, and Dripping Springs, I haven't seen Lake Travis or Vandy but if they came from that area they must be good.

Friendswood and Dawson are going to be fantastic I really like Friendswood but anyone who can top them at area deserves some love.

Area G is going behind the scenes and I think thats great because Roma is always a band to look out for and nobody is saying a word about them, Look out for Roma

The only schools I have seen in area B and area A are Sherman, and Canyon and my frind from Canyon missed state this time around, and Sherman is a very good playing group.(Didn't pay attention to the marching was enjoying the music to much)

As for the E bands I haven't seen or heard anything about them at all and Brenham is a former finalist in 2003.

The band that I will ride as my dark horse in this contest is...............Sherman H.S. This band missed state in 09 I believe and this year they sound great.

So my 10 finalist predictions in random order are:

Waxahachie

Cedar Park

Dripping Springs

Friendswood

Dawson

Sherman

Wakeland

Centennial

Lake Travis

Newman Smith

In class 2A give me Queen City to 4peat and in 1A Shelbyville (Gotta love a city thats also on the Simpson's)

Edited by TxRaider13

The band that I will ride as my dark horse in this contest is...............Sherman H.S. This band missed state in 09 I believe and this year they sound great.

Considering they jumped from 8th to 5th place in Area Finals, I can definitely see them bringing the heat. I'm in love with their show this year.

This will be the first 4A State Marching Contest without Poteet since 1990. End of an era indeed.

I wouldn't quite say "end of an era". Yes, they won't be there, but they DID qualify to go originally. To say the era is over is basically saying the talent/strength of the program is no longer there, when they clearly proved at Area that 20 years later, the band still has that unique strength to march among the best programs in the state.

I wouldn't quite say "end of an era". Yes, they won't be there, but they DID qualify to go originally. To say the era is over is basically saying the talent/strength of the program is no longer there, when they clearly proved at Area that 20 years later, the band still has that unique strength to march among the best programs in the state.

Fair enough. However, State without Poteet will be incredibly bizarre. Kind of like when Dickinson finally moved up to 5A in 2008 after being a 4A powerhouse since the 80s. That's more what I meant by "end of an era," especially when paired with Scott Coulson's retirement last year.

Fair enough. However, State without Poteet will be incredibly bizarre. Kind of like when Dickinson finally moved up to 5A in 2008 after being a 4A powerhouse since the 80s. That's more what I meant by "end of an era," especially when paired with Scott Coulson's retirement last year.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with a 4A State competition without all the awesome Poteet parents that had the lines and seating arrangements down to an absolute science. They worked those things in shifts and had people lining up outside to be first in line for Finals even before Prelims awards were announced.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with a 4A State competition without all the awesome Poteet parents that had the lines and seating arrangements down to an absolute science. They worked those things in shifts and had people lining up outside to be first in line for Finals even before Prelims awards were announced.

Now I don't have to have on my Poteet show shirts or anything Poteet related to get a prime seat, nothing wrong with sitting in the sea of green, but now I guess I have to fight for my seat... I remeber the parent meetings and Coulson talking to the parents about how to act, respond, and secure seats for each other..Long time ago

When you look at the whole picture here, what happened was really a compromise for both ends. The emotional roller coaster aside (which I'm sure has been rough for Poteet), both sides got something out of this.

Look at it this way-

Best case scenario for fairness of UIL rules - Poteet's mistake is brought to light after region, they don't compete at area, no one can complain about the rules not being followed/consistent. HOWEVER, Huge bummer for the Poteet kids.

Best case scenario for Poteet - Poteet's mistake is brought to light after region, however rules are ignored, and Poteet is allowed to slip into state. HOWEVER, rules aren't fairly applied to similar cases in history.

The way it went down - Poteet was allowed to compete at Area, a privilege itself, able to realize they were at least good enough to advance to state, but weren't allowed to move on, keeping consistent with the rules. Both sides (kind of) win, and emotional ride aside, this was the best case scenario for both sides. So even if not on purpose, UIL may have gotten this right.

Since Poteet has been disqualified does that wipeout their area scores. If so that means only 14 bands marched at their area so why does Forney go?

:o

That really is a fantastic question. If Poteet hadn't have been allowed to perform at Area, only 2 bands would have advanced...

Not crazy about the UIL decision because of the message that it sends. The error that got the Poteet Band disqualified was a hard one to even detect. The director self reported it because he is a man of integrity. The band got disqualified because of the honesty.

It is highly doubtful that anyone at UIL would have noticed that a volunteer who worked the sound and who isn't even on the band roster was ineligible. He wasn't on any of the lists that the director had to check against for eligibility. It was an oversight and all of those kids were disqualified as a result. When dealing with human beings, mistakes happen. To penalize an entire band of nearly 200 kids because of an honest mistake is Wrong, just wrong! Why not give a warning and let Poteet and the alternate both compete???

Edited by KLeslie

Not crazy about the UIL decision because of the message that it sends. The error that got the Poteet Band disqualified was a hard one to even detect. The director self reported it because he is a man of integrity. The band got disqualified because of the honesty.

It is highly doubtful that anyone at UIL would have noticed that a volunteer who set up the sound equipment and who isn't even on the band roster was ineligible. He wasn't on any of the lists that the director had to check against for eligibility. It was an oversight and all of those kids were disqualified as a result. Wrong, just wrong! Why not give a warning and let Poteet and the alternate both compete???

There is already significant precedent set forth for this decision which is based upon State Law, not UIL Rules.

The Woodlands experienced the same thing last year as have many other bands across the state. Poteet is not the only band to have been disqualified due to breaking State Law via an oversight and not even the only band this year.

And the student reportedly wasn't just setting up the sound equipment, he/she was reportedly running the soundboard during the show. But that doesn't even fully matter.

The State Law says that the inelligible student isn't even allowed to step on the bus. It doesn't matter whether or not they were on the band class roster, they were certainly on the bus roster and the grades check should have been done from the bus roster.

It is certainly a very disheartening situation for the band students, but this is not the fault of the UIL. The UIL made the correct decision per State Law.

There is already significant precedent set forth for this decision which is based upon State Law, not UIL Rules.

The Woodlands experienced the same thing last year as have many other bands across the state. Poteet is not the only band to have been disqualified due to breaking State Law via an oversight and not even the only band this year.

And the student reportedly wasn't just setting up the sound equipment, he/she was reportedly running the soundboard during the show. But that doesn't even fully matter.

The State Law says that the inelligible student isn't even allowed to step on the bus. It doesn't matter whether or not they were on the band class roster, they were certainly on the bus roster and the grades check should have been done from the bus roster.

It is certainly a very disheartening situation for the band students, but this is not the fault of the UIL. The UIL made the correct decision per State Law.

This is exactly what I would have said if I knew my UIL Constitution better. We also have to keep in mind that the Constitution states that this is the "minimum" penalty for fielding an ineligible student.

Since Poteet was officially disqualified from the State Contest and assuming they were ruled eligible at Area, the number of bands advancing from the Area should not change.

This is exactly what I would have said if I knew my UIL Constitution better. We also have to keep in mind that the Constitution states that this is the "minimum" penalty for fielding an ineligible student.

Since Poteet was officially disqualified from the State Contest and assuming they were ruled eligible at Area, the number of bands advancing from the Area should not change.

I found one slight problem with that. Poteet was performing at the field close to home. I am not sure that they road buses to Region. I am 90 percent sure that they met at the stadium. This would mean no bus roster. Again, this fell through the cracks and it was an honest mistake.