Area Competitions!

You are partially correct. Band is actually a graded class in high school.

Back when I was in high school, there were several instances in which students were allowed to bypass signing up for the band class that took place during the school day. These students still came to after school rehearsals and marched as part of the band. If any of these students had failed, do you think it would have been okay for them to participate at a competition? The answer, as clearly stated by UIL, is no.

Anyway, apparently all of this discussion is premature. We'll have to wait and see. It does suck quite a bit that a bunch of innocent band students can be penalized for the mistake of a single band student.

Edited by Rubisco

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question on another rule for UIL and BOA. Can a director or non-student direct/conduct the band while they are marching in competition? I have seen several directors serve as drum major of sorts and conduct from the pit area and wondered what that was about. I know this thread is about area competitions, so am sorry, but the discussion on rules and such brought this to my mind.

Vista Ridge did this at Area D yesterday.

That hasn't been decided yet. The hearing is supposedly on Monday.

In my opinion, I hope they can compete, it seems like an honest mistake with a new staff, but that decision is not up to me or any of us commenting on it. The final call gets to be made by UIL, and until then we can just sit here and wait. I will say this, if Poteet does not get to compete the whole face of the State Marching Contest will be changed, because there will definitely be an open spot in finals and most likely an open spot in the top three for some other band to seize the opportunity and take.

In my opinion, I hope they can compete, it seems like an honest mistake with a new staff, but that decision is not up to me or any of us commenting on it. The final call gets to be made by UIL, and until then we can just sit here and wait. I will say this, if Poteet does not get to compete the whole face of the State Marching Contest will be changed, because there will definitely be an open spot in finals and most likely an open spot in the top three for some other band to seize the opportunity and take.

It's not like he was a brand new director. He wasn't even from out of the district. If I heard correctly from the Poteet parent at Area, he was one of the assistant band directors that was at the HS.

Looked back at my video of the finals and all I see is a director helping with warm up during the 5 minute setup. I can't find one in the viewfinder during the performance. My understanding is that is allowed.

I believe the one I have seen before is with Berkner and he is very animated and directs throughout the performance. I am glad to know it is fine though - just a little distracting sometimes while watching their band and drum majors. I have also seen a director with band kids at the sound system, but I am guessing they were just guiding them and not doing anything to the sound themselves.