5) 91.00 Claudia Taylor Johnson

Outstanding Music Performance - LD Bell

4) 92.10 Marcus

Outstanding Visual Performance - LD Bell

Outstanding GE - James Bowie

3) 93.85 James Bowie

2) 93.90 The Woodlands

1) 94.20 LD Bell

Definitely one of the most memorable BOA SA's ever. 2 dark horses, one getting 7th the other beating Reagan, all top 6 bands breaking 90 (which personally i thought the judges were being a little too generous...) Marcus getting 4th bowie beating marcus SFA getting 8th woodlands getting 2nd no vandergrift brazoswood legacy plugerville or westlake. Im happy to see Churchill make the top 10 again, Reagan seems to just be on and off with 13th in 09 6th last year and now 12th. I'm so happy to see johnsons scoring, im calling them for a finalist at nats, as well as woodlands, I hope they take the whole thing. Best of luck to spring as well. Great season, and best of luck to those continuing it at grand nats

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any band until 33 could've made finals. I am very pleased with the competitiveness of this year's Super Regional!

Excellent point. The point gap between 14th place (Anderson with 84.00) and 34th place (Seven Lakes with 77.05) was almost 7 points. 20 bands spread across is tight!

As a comparison, 10 points separated Anderson from 1st place (LD Bell, 94.25)

Once I get a copy of the recaps I can download/copy and paste into Excel, I'll be able to perform more analysis about how big the bubble was.

Brazoswood - 31st

Haltom - 32nd

:o

Marcus 4th in Music Performance Ensemble!

Marcus 7th in Visual Performance Ensemble!

Marcus 5th in Music General Effect!

Edit: I cannot believe those numbers. That doesn't match up at all with what I saw/heard. Thank you, Marcus for giving me an awesome experience from seeing your show!

Marcus 4th in Music Performance Ensemble!

Marcus 7th in Visual Performance Ensemble!

Marcus 5th in Music General Effect!

I have to agree with the others on this thread who felt underwhelmed by Marcus. While I thought they were definitely worthy of being in the finals, I didn't feel they deserved to win it all like they had many times before.

I have to agree with the others on this thread who felt underwhelmed by Marcus. While I thought they were definitely worthy of being in the finals, I didn't feel they deserved to win it all like they had many times before.

Oh, I definitely didn't have them winning the whole thing. Nobody was going to beat Bell last night, that was a magnificent show from them. But I did at least expect Marcus to win music due to the amazing way that they play such incredibly hard technical music with such subtlety and relaxed poise.

I think something that will be interesting to watch will be how Round Rock High School Band fares at BOA. Round Rock really excels under the UIL style judging and contests like Capital City and Westlake, but haven't had much luck on the BOA stage because of the style show they play to. In my opinion they are not gonna place well at BOA SA but only time will tell

The 4th place finish for Marcus and the non-inclusion of three or four highly touted bands in finals notwithstanding, I'm not sure that there was anything more surprising than the showing of the Round Rock band. They not only made finals in 11th place after prelims (10th in 4A), but they moved up 4 spots after their finals run to finish 7th, and did that while marching around a sousaphone bell for about a third of their show.

When we're talking about bands with a real upward trajectory, I think we're going to have to include Round Rock in that conversation from now on.

Interesting.

Leander ISD Line up for last night's pre-lims

1. Cedar Park - 90.25 - 5th

2. Leander - 81.60 - 20th

3. Vandegrift - 78.80 - 26th

4. Vista Ridge - 78.45 - 28th

5. Rouse - 66.55 - 52nd

Lewisville ISD

1. Marcus - 93.75 - 2nd

2. Flower Mound - 87.40 - 8th

3. Hebron - 81.60 - 19th

Edited by CentexBandKid

So I think we can all agree its time to stop talking about the decline of Churchill and get excited for their future? I think theyre definitely headed in the right direction now, and with a higher Music Performance score than SFA and Johnson its kind of hard to dispute that, especially considering Churchill had to go right after Marcus for finals and the crowd can be a little hard to impress after they put on a show.

Also, it felt like Round Rock came out of nowhere! Im really excited as a spectator to see the playing field levelling off and making room for all kinds of up and coming bands like Legacy, Anderson, Plano East, Round Rock, and a dozen others. Finalists are getting more and more difficult to predict and I couldnt be happier.

The 4th place finish for Marcus and the non-inclusion of three or four highly touted bands in finals notwithstanding, I'm not sure that there was anything more surprising than the showing of the Round Rock band. They not only made finals in 11th place after prelims (10th in 4A), but they moved up 4 spots after their finals run to finish 7th, and did that while marching around a sousaphone bell for about a third of their show.

When we're talking about bands with a real upward trajectory, I think we're going to have to include Round Rock in that conversation from now on.

I was at the contest and would have place Round Rock at 11th or 12th in finals. They didn't have as big or balanced of a sound. They didn't march as well.

Round Rock Marched and played extremely well...just not better than 6 of the finals bands in my opinion

there were lots of bands in prelims that i thought marched and played well...may not have bad as expensive of a show...but they placed really low.

In my opinion the placements (based on how well the groups marched and played and not based on props and electronics and such) should have been

1 - Bowie

2 - LD Bell

3 - Marcus

4 - CT Johnson

5 - Cedar Park

6 - The Woodlands

7 - Churchill

8 - Stephen F. Austin

9 - Richland (Their marching was much better than most of the other finals bands...i thought they deserved much higher)

10 - Anderson (I was really impressed with this band)

11 - Round Rock

12 - Flower Mound

13 - Reagan

14 - Spring

Just what i wrote down while i was watching things.

All the bands were just great. My favorite show was Cedar Park because they didn't need props or fancy things to be good. I was very impressed with Churchill's and Marcus' Drumline on the move. Round Rock's Drumline was the most impressive standing still. I thought. Bowie sound just blew me away.

Does anyone know what the penalties were for that bands received in prelims?

Edited by MaverickBand15

I was at the contest and would have place Round Rock at 11th or 12th in finals. They didn't have as big or balanced of a sound. They didn't march as well. I think its ridiculous some of the bands that get away with bad marching and bad playing and still get high scores. (Round Rock is not one of those bands). But there were lots of bands in prelims that i thought marched and played well...may not have bad as expensive of a show...but they placed really low.

Round Rock Marched and played extremely well...just not better than 6 of the finals bands. In my opinion the placements (based on how well the groups marched and played and not based on props and electronics and such) should have been

1 - Bowie

2 - LD Bell

3 - Marcus

4 - CT Johnson

5 - Cedar Park

6 - The Woodlands

7 - Churchill

8 - Stephen F. Austin

9 - Richland (Their marching was much better than most of the other finals bands...i thought they deserved much higher)

11 - Round Rock

12 - Flower Mound

13 - Reagan

14 - Spring

All the bands were just great. My favorite show was Cedar Park because they didn't need props or fancy things to be good. I was very impressed with Churchill's and Marcus' Drumline on the move. Round Rock's Drumline was the most impressive standing still. I thought. Bowie sound just blew me away.

Well, I guess all I can say to that is considering your opinion of Round Rock's shows both last year and this year, it's fortunate for them that you're not a judge.

Well, I guess all I can say to that is considering your opinion of Round Rock's shows both last year and this year, it's fortunate for them that you're not a judge.

Round Rocks Show this yeas is 10 times better than last year. They deserved their finals spot for sure at this contest. I just disagree with a lot of the finals placements in general at this contest, not just theirs

I'm shocked by Marcus' lower than expected placements in music performance. Just... I don't get that. At all. I'm also shocked that The Woodlands only scored in the 16's in both individual performance captions in prelims. That's what they scored at Conroe! Have they really not gotten any better? They scored comfortably in box 5 (18.6's) in both of those subcaptions in finals. The thing that worries me for nats is that one of those judges from prelims is going to be judging at nats. Hope he's not judging visual GE at national finals! The Woodlands (and other TX groups) may end up with a 17!

I'm pleased to note, though, that the scores stayed around the same level from prelims to finals with completely different panels of judges. It makes a little bit of a case against the scores being inflated. I personally do not think that they were inflated.

I was at the contest and would have place Round Rock at 11th or 12th in finals. They didn't have as big or balanced of a sound. They didn't march as well.

Round Rock Marched and played extremely well...just not better than 6 of the finals bands in my opinion

there were lots of bands in prelims that i thought marched and played well...may not have bad as expensive of a show...but they placed really low.

In my opinion the placements (based on how well the groups marched and played and not based on props and electronics and such) should have been

1 - Bowie

2 - LD Bell

3 - Marcus

4 - CT Johnson

5 - Cedar Park

6 - The Woodlands

7 - Churchill

8 - Stephen F. Austin

11 - Round Rock

12 - Flower Mound

13 - Reagan

14 - Spring

He's probably just mad because McNeil got 39th and got beat by Cedar Ridge and many others.

I wish the Round Rock kids would stop trolling these forums. This thread has turned into "If you don't like THE ROCK BAND then we will call you out and make you feel terrible!"

Haha false, if you kind of follow MavBand, you'd understand why. And I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that's commented that's actually a student.