2011 BOA San Antonio

I see what you're saying with the step down from lock to bubble, but I still wouldn't consider it an insult. Being on either of those lists is just a way of saying "There are some good things happening at X high school." The difference between the two lists are essentially "They've always been good" and "They have been alright, but have really stepped it up this year."

Also, being called a "lock" isn't some term of endearment, and is not the equivalent of "I'm proud of you." It's simply a way for people like the ones on this website to predict who they think will win the competition. It's what we enjoy doing. It's not specific to marching band, everybody predicts the outcomes of competitions. For example, when you fill out a march madness bracket, you are essentially doing the same thing as picking "locks" and "bubbles".

They do recognize everyone who attended; they call out the names of all participating bands. But essentially, that's just getting you a participation ribbon. In a lot of modern band programs, the goal isn't to just have fun or something cheesy like that. The goal is to win competitions.

If you think that your favorite band is a lock rather than a bubble, tell them to prove it on the field. If they make top 5 or so, then sorry, everyone on this website is wrong. But from what we've seen, the only true locks are the four elite bands this season: Marcus, Bell, Bowie and The Woodlands. And yes, it is alright to consider past seasons for those bands because they've have always been good, and haven't had major staffing changes (with the exception of Bowie's head director tragedy, but they've proven that they can perform well in his memory). If Haltom proves that they are a true force in the band world, then next year you will see them on the list of "locks". But as of right now, they are only a bubble, which isn't even an insult, it's a compliment.

I think everyone has different views of what "lock" and "bubble" mean...as apparent from the comments on this forum.

I think people see the past performances differently as well.

Everyone on this website would not be wrong if Haltom makes the top 5 or so, because not everyone believes they're incapable of doing so...just an fyi. Also, I believe there are 14 bands chosen for finals...not 5. I was talking about finals. There are bands who stand out, for sure. All I'd like to see is a fair competition.

Honestly, it's all just opinion anyway. So I'll say this...GOOD LUCK TO ALL BANDS AT BOA SA! ---and leave it at that.

Edited by HHSBandMom225

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone on this website would not be wrong if Haltom makes the top 5 or so, because not everyone believes they're incapable of doing so...just an fyi. Also, I believe there are 14 bands chosen for finals...not 5. I was talking about finals. There are bands who stand out, for sure. All I'd like to see is a fair competition.

I'm pretty sure it'd come as a shock if Haltom was in the top 4 (really, it's only the top 4 on lock IMO). It'd be a shock if my school, Round Rock, was in the top 4 too. Haltom has done well this season and so has Round Rock, but neither school truly has the chance to do that well in a competition this big.

And yes there are 14 bands in finals. That's why there is a bubble list instead of a just a list of the elite four and then a list of participants. The bubble list is the group that has the possibility to get the last 10 spots for finals. <_<

I'm pretty sure it'd come as a shock if Haltom was in the top 4 (really, it's only the top 4 on lock IMO). It'd be a shock if my school, Round Rock, was in the top 4 too. Haltom has done well this season and so has Round Rock, but neither school truly has the chance to do that well in a competition this big.

And yes there are 14 bands in finals. That's why there is a bubble list instead of a just a list of the elite four and then a list of participants. The bubble list is the group that has the possibility to get the last 10 spots for finals. <_<

Okay. So that's how you work the locks, but I've seen people with lists a lot longer than four on here as "locks" followed by another list of bands on the "bubble." So not everyone is considering just four as locks. That's what I was referring to, but, as I said before, it's all just opinions anyway...even when it comes down to the judges...it's all opinions. That's why you'll see some judges be completely on the other end of the spectrum in their scoring than the rest of the judges. People just see shows differently.

Anyway, I am looking for all the bands participating to have their best shows at BOA SA. Good luck everyone!

I agree, there are really only 4 bands that have a shot at the top 4 spots as for the rest its all speculation and bias based on the school you represent, hence the bubble list.

Think positive drummerjoe.

Okay. So that's how you work the locks, but I've seen people with lists a lot longer than four on here as "locks" followed by another list of bands on the "bubble." So not everyone is considering just four as locks. That's what I was referring to, but, as I said before, it's all just opinions anyway...even when it comes down to the judges...it's all opinions. That's why you'll see some judges be completely on the other end of the spectrum in their scoring than the rest of the judges. People just see shows differently.

Anyway, I am looking for all the bands participating to have their best shows at BOA SA. Good luck everyone!

And that's why CP got 7th at Area D prelims.

Think positive drummerjoe.

Alright I will.

ROUND ROCK WILL DOMINATE MARCUS. B)

Edited by drummerjoe

This will be our first time attending BOA San Antonio. I see there are general admission and reserved seating. Any opinions of whether or not we should 'splurge' on the reserved?

Go general admission-there really isn't 'reserved seating'-we have always sat almost anywhere we wanted. I think there is some reserved seating but I couldn't really say where it is and it's not worth the price.

This will be our first time attending BOA San Antonio. I see there are general admission and reserved seating. Any opinions of whether or not we should 'splurge' on the reserved?

Reserved seating is usually in the upper deck only. The echo is really bad up there. I suggest purchasing General Admission seats but be advised that those seats near the 50 will fill up fast.

Reserved seating is usually in the upper deck only. The echo is really bad up there. I suggest purchasing General Admission seats but be advised that those seats near the 50 will fill up fast.

Reserved seating used to be the way to go to get the best vantage point, as good seats in the General Admission section required getting a good place in line early enough to ensure the best seats. Is this still the case? I'm driving down from Austin post- Tech v. Texas, so I know I'm angling for the Upper deck seating myself.

Reserved seating used to be the way to go to get the best vantage point, as good seats in the General Admission section required getting a good place in line early enough to ensure the best seats. Is this still the case? I'm driving down from Austin post- Tech v. Texas, so I know I'm angling for the Upper deck seating myself.

Pretty much, Alex (Welcome back, by the way!) Band parents are more committed than ever to securing places in line before Finals. In fact, some folks have started lining up during the Prelims award ceremony!

Thankfully, the staff here hasn't had to deal with the lines very much recently =)

Pretty much, Alex (Welcome back, by the way!) Band parents are more committed than ever to securing places in line before Finals. In fact, some folks have started lining up during the Prelims award ceremony!

Thankfully, the staff here hasn't had to deal with the lines very much recently =)

Glad to hear y'all have not been having those issues ;)

Maybe I'll see you there. May even get Marcy to join me!

Just to clarify, reserved seating is only available for finals. Both days of preliminaries are general admission seating only.

Just to clarify, reserved seating is only available for finals. Both days of preliminaries are general admission seating only.

Oops, sorry about my previous post. Forgot about the finals reserved seating :rolleyes: . I have been volunteering at this event for over 4 yrs (this will be my 5th and probably final year :( ) and I 'conveniently forgot' about the paid reserved section during Finals. Don't forget though, once prelims are over-it's everyone out of the 'Dome and you have to pay a separate price for the Finals.

I am very excited to see them.

The last time that a Colorado band came down to BOA SA, they did an amazing job.

This is my 3rd time to go to a BOA contest and when I saw Air Academy that got me pumped to be at Saturdays prelims and then finals. The dome better ring from all the yelling and clapping for these students before and after they perform.

Edited by TxRaider13

Has anybody heard anything about Spring? I'm wondering if they're going to have a shot at finals.

I think that despite their absence from competitive marching band thus far in 2011, Spring will make a strong finish both here at San Antonio and in Indianapolis. Based on past performance and the fact that they will have the extra drive of returning to nationals to rehash their iconic 1993 championship show will give them the edge required to make the middle of finals on Saturday and most likely break top 12 next week.