Who would you like to see win 4A State this year?

well still should be a good contest but its official now that poteet is disqualified today, there appeal was denied. IMO from what i hear is a stupid reason but rules are rules.

If someone who knows the truth or not can confirm this but from what i hear a student that was not part of the band but was just inchrge af helping set up there sound board or something failed before regionals and was not eligible to participate. but somehow show up on there offiicall roster to the uil board and was disqualified.

If thats true like i saw rules are rules. but seriously someone that helps out the set up is causing them not to go. Im not saying they would have won but its Poteet for goodness sake.

The worst part was UIL let them preform at Area make most believe they will be allowed to move on but then told teusday they will not be allowed to move on to State .

It's important that they keep a consistent ruling on this sort of thing, if they don't then it would raise alot of controversy.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I personally think Cedar Park has done fairly well, but I'm not sure they'll win. I suppose I'm leaning more towards Vandegrift or maybe Friendswood. I just can't wait to be there and get to marching- It's going to be really fun and I'm sure every band is going to do their very best out there. I almost wish I could be in the audience and get to watch.

Place 1 Cedar Park HS

Place 2 Dripping Springs HS

Place 3 Vandegrift HS

Place 4 Centennial HS

Place 5 Friendswood HS

Place 6 Wakeland HS

Place 7 Newman Smith HS

Place 8 Waxahachie HS

Place 9 Birdville HS

Place 10 Sherman HS

These are my predictions for placements at 4A State. It was extremely difficult to decide this year in my opinion. I obviously know that there will be a lot of moving around in this list, but I still think these are the top bands this year. Lake Travis is also a contender that I couldn't fit in without full knowledge of their show. (I also haven't seen their show free from the noise of a football game). I seriously expected Friendswood to win it in 2009, but after seeing this years Dripping Springs show, I know they at the very least deserved that first place spot or second at the last State Competition. I have Cedar park as number one because I'm a sucker for loud and exciting shows, but as I said before, I can see a lot of movement in placement. I'm very sorry to hear that Poteet was disqualified, as I have always seen them as a strong band with good technique. Happy to see Sherman at State this year; I believe that their show had a lot of power and good sounds as well. I loved their show from last year and completely believe if they had played that this year, they would have been 2nd in Area at the very least. I may be a little biased being from Newman Smith, but it seems nobody is giving them some of the credit they have earned. They lost their band director to Centennial, who made first at Area (Congrats by the way), and their current band director (In his first year as head) was not at the contest. They also topped Waxahachie and Sherman at the Midlothian Contest a while back. (Just putting that out there). Just ready for a lot of upsets this year. Area F I think as well as Area B look really strong this year and should do well representing their areas at State. Hope everyone has a great time and reaches the goals they set for themselves!

silsoc 3, I find it odd that you left out Lake Travis and Dawson. Can you elaborate on that? As has been mentioned before, Lake Travis beat Dripping Springs at USSBA, and Dawson beat Friendswood at LSP and Area. I'm slightly confused.

The original poster said that they could not put Lake Travis in "without full knowledge of their show". That was very responsible and honestly, that is exactly the reason I haven't personally made very many predictions this year.

The original poster said that they could not put Lake Travis in "without full knowledge of their show". That was very responsible and honestly, that is exactly the reason I haven't personally made very many predictions this year.

This still leaves Dawson HS. I can honestly say that every band should be on the lookout for them, as nothing is guaranteed until the moment the finalist bands are all sitting anxiously in the Alamodome awaiting the ever-elusive results.

Place 1 Cedar Park HS

Place 2 Dripping Springs HS

Place 3 Vandegrift HS

Place 4 Centennial HS

Place 5 Friendswood HS

Place 6 Wakeland HS

Place 7 Newman Smith HS

Place 8 Waxahachie HS

Place 9 Birdville HS

Place 10 Sherman HS

So you placed three of the Area D bands in the medal positions, but Lake Travis, which beat both Cedar Park and Vandegrift in prelims and finals at Area, is nowhere in sight? What about Cedar Park and Vandegrift's scores from area. Vandegrift was unanimously 5th in music and 4th in marching, and Cedar Park didn't have the the most consistent placement among the judges either.

Also, are you sure you want to place Newman Smith ahead of Waxahachie, Birdville, and Sherman? Waxahachie was first at Area C in both prelims and finals without peer (and was ahead of Newman Smith in prelims at Midlothian if I recall correctly), Birdville came out ahead of Newman Smith at Area, and Sherman was right there as well. Just seems a bit more than a little biased, to be honest.

And Dawson, a band that has topped Friendswood at every contest they've both been to, isn't on the list either. Yet, you say Area F looks very strong; although, I'm betting you meant Area D. I suppose my overall impression is that this is more of a hopeful placement list rather than any kind of informed predictions.

So you placed three of the Area D bands in the medal positions, but Lake Travis, which beat both Cedar Park and Vandegrift in prelims and finals at Area, is nowhere in sight? What about Cedar Park and Vandegrift's scores from area. Vandegrift was unanimously 5th in music and 4th in marching, and Cedar Park didn't have the the most consistent placement among the judges either.

Also, are you sure you want to place Newman Smith ahead of Waxahachie, Birdville, and Sherman? Waxahachie was first at Area C in both prelims and finals without peer (and was ahead of Newman Smith in prelims at Midlothian if I recall correctly), Birdville came out ahead of Newman Smith at Area, and Sherman was right there as well. Just seems a bit more than a little biased, to be honest.

And Dawson, a band that has topped Friendswood at every contest they've both been to, isn't on the list either. Yet, you say Area F looks very strong; although, I'm betting you meant Area D. I suppose my overall impression is that this is more of a hopeful placement list rather than any kind of informed predictions.

Can't a guy express an opinion anymore about HIS predictions without someone jumping down his throat about HIS opinion? Seems to be a theme on these forums these days...

Can't a guy express an opinion anymore about HIS predictions without someone jumping down his throat about HIS opinion? Seems to be a theme on these forums these days...

Sure, as long as it isn't an opinion that flies in the face of given facts. This was just wishful thinking parading as an informed opinion, and I merely wanted to educate the poster by correcting some of his/her oversights.

Edited by aaron067

I'm sorry if this has caused problems. I have not seen Dawson's show but I have heard it has the music of "The Planets" which I really enjoy. I have also not seen Travis' show except for a shaky youtube video with wind and other background noise, so I cannot fully endorse them either. Placements do say a lot in many contests, but they can also distract from bands that could come from behind at the end. This and the belief that I cannot truly enjoy a show unless seeing it in person, are my opinions that affect my placement.

After reading this, I can't tell if you read my post fully. I said that Newman Smith had a few problems that might have affected their overall playing and marching at area. Also, if we want to talk about prelims, I'm pretty sure Newman Smith placed higher than Birdville in Prelims and if I'm wrong about that, I apologize again. Smith was also barely beaten by Birdville in finals, and Sherman almost didn't even make it in the top 6, but they brought it all in Finals to make sure they could go to State as well. All of these bands are great at what they do, and we just have to see what plays out.

I have a question!

So looking at the last 5A state competition in which Cedar Park participated, they placed 4th . Assuming they're at the same level as they were 3 years ago and seeing how DS and LT beat them at area this year, would DS and LT do well in the 5A circuit?

I guess what I really want to know is whether 4A and 5A grade differently in general? Like to judges value different things?

I have a question!

So looking at the last 5A state competition in which Cedar Park participated, they placed 4th . Assuming they're at the same level as they were 3 years ago and seeing how DS and LT beat them at area this year, would DS and LT do well in the 5A circuit?

I guess what I really want to know is whether 4A and 5A grade differently in general? Like to judges value different things?

I think that's fair to say. I'll use centennials placement at the Carrollton TOC to help though. They placed higher than the current 5A honor band, Hebron, at that competition. Talent is talent no matter what.

I like to refer to DS as the Marcus of 4A. Cute, clean and musically extraordinary shows that cannot be touched.

DS and LT may have beat CP and VG in area, but that is in no way a lock to win in state. I promise you they are working hard this week to polish their shows; they will perform much better at state, so don't let your guard down, they can still win it

DS and LT may have beat CP and VG in area, but that is in no way a lock to win in state. I promise you they are working hard this week to polish their shows; they will perform much better at state, so don't let your guard down, they can still win it

The programs reputation is probably playing a role in the predictions right now as well.

Regardless, it's way too close a competition to call a clear winner. I feel like the state title will stay in Area D, and the top spots will be dominated by Area D, but you have strong programs From areas B, C and F that will definitely push their way into those top slots.

The programs reputation is probably playing a role in the predictions right now as well.

Regardless, it's way too close a competition to call a clear winner. I feel like the state title will stay in Area D, and the top spots will be dominated by Area D, but you have strong programs From areas B, C and F that will definitely push their way into those top slots.

I agree, area D has the best shot, whoever keeps it clean in finals will take it

One thing is for certain, it's getting colder out, so every band is probably going to be rehearsing pretty hard, but they may be off their game. A bad time for it to start getting cold out, huh!

I myself am only really orientated with Area D, can anyone explain some other really good high schools from other areas?

One thing is for certain, it's getting colder out, so every band is probably going to be rehearsing pretty hard, but they may be off their game. A bad time for it to start getting cold out, huh!

I myself am only really orientated with Area D, can anyone explain some other really good high schools from other areas?

There are at least 2 bands from each area that can be considered really good. But Area B seems to have multiple bands because of the Frisco schools that are part of it. Wakeland, Liberty, Frisco, and especially Centennial this year have done, and keep doing, extremely well. There are also schools in this area like CFB schools (Newman Smith, Creekview) and other schools like Sherman, Wylie, The Colony, etc. Each area has really good bands, and I think that's something that only exists in Texas :)

Area B prelims results are very interesting. Take a look for yourself.

http://www.uilforms.com/regions/2/AREA%20M...AREA%20B-4A.pdf

Finals too:

Good luck to all the bands participating in state this year! You've worked hard and it's your moment to show everyone what you're made of!

Omg. Birdville jumped from 10th to 3rd?!?! WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Not saying that I don't think they earned it, but that's a MASSIVE jump. In fact, the only two bands that didn't move are Wakeland and Centennial. It's also sad for me to see the 1st alternate to state from 2007 make 29th out of 30 this year. =[

I think the changes in results basically means ANYTHING can happen. Gotta keep giving your best ALL the time.

Area B prelims results are very interesting. Take a look for yourself.

Finals too:

Good luck to all the bands participating in state this year! You've worked hard and it's your moment to show everyone what you're made of!

because i have nothing better to do, i compiled what the rankings would be if UIL was score based rather than ordinal. pointless, i know, its just interesting.

PRELIMS-

1. Centennial HS- 93.04

2. Wakeland HS- 86.86

3. Aledo HS- 85.18

4. Frisco HS- 84.44

5. Sherman HS- 83.20

6. McKinney HS- 83.12

7. Newman Smith HS- 83.08

8. Liberty HS- 81.22

9. Southwest HS- 80.56

10. Summit HS- 78.24

11. Wylie HS- 77.30

12. Creekview HS- 77.04

13. Birdville HS- 76.56

14. Wylie East HS- 72.68

15. The Colony HS- 72.56

16. McKinney North HS- 70.00

17. Granbury HS- 68.88

18. Heritage HS- 65.02

19. Little Elm HS- 62.00

20. Lake Dallas HS- 58.80

21. Seguin HS- 57.20

22. R.L. Turner HS- 56.30

23. Burleson HS- 56.08

24. Crowely HS- 52.50

25. Cleburne HS- 52.40

26. Western Hills HS- 49.84

27. Denison HS- 48.22

28. Everman HS- 48.16

29. Joshua HS- 47.80

30. Stephenville HS- 44.34

Centennial takes first by over 6 points, absolutely dominating prelims. interestingly, Birdville would be in 13th, missing finals, replaced by Summit. Also, theres almost a 50 point spread from 1st to 30th.

FINALS-

1. Centennial HS- 92.68

2. Wakeland HS- 91.84

3. Newman Smith HS- 88.22

4. Birdville HS- 88.02

5. Sherman HS- 86.56

6. Aledo HS- 85.72

7. McKinney HS- 85.28

8. Liberty HS- 84.34

9. Frisco HS- 83.72

10. Southwest HS- 82.92

The gap between Centennial and the rest of the bands closes considerably. The top 6 remains the same, with Newman Smith and Bridville flip flopping. McKinney misses state by half a point. Also, liberty and frisco flip flop.