2010 Bands of America Grand Nationals Schedule

I'm obviously pulling for the Texas programs a little more than everyone else. However, what I am on pins and needles for is how Avon and Tarpon Springs will stack up against each other.

Avon's show is stellar, as always. Great movement and music from them. They will be tough to beat visually. Tarpon Springs could actually challenge for the Grand National Title this year, if they can solidify their ensemble sound a little bit more. Tarpon's show might be the best show I have ever seen in my life, which is something I never thought I would say after seeing Plymouth Canton's Programme One show.

After reading this I went and watched Tarpon Spring's show on the BOA Fan Network (Atlanta Super Regional champions). I really love this show and it's probably the best thing I've ever seen from Tarpon. Considering their show last year was called "Trilogy" and this show feels a lot like last year's show, I'm wondering if it's a continuation (sort of like Bell and their '05/'06/'07 Trilogy).

I noticed the same thing about the music. With their ensemble balance, tone quality and dynamic range only being at that level this late in the season, I don't see the eagle awaiting them at the end of the road. The scores from ATL definitely reflect this observation. They lost in music to Kennesaw, a program which is pretty middle of the road as far as the GN Finals family is concerned, while only edging out Wando by a wee bit. And Wando is a band that was the bottom of the Finalist pack this last go-round.

Their G.E. scores are top notch though, especially in Visual where they won out with nearly a 3 point lead. A score like that would have placed above all the other San Antonio bands competing that same night. Their Visual Perf scores were nothing to shake a stick at either. I don't think their Visual Performance scores would have beaten Bowie had they been in San Antonio instead of Atlanta, though I think they would have been in the top 3...really I think Tarpon would have placed 3rd or 4th had they been at San Antonio, and I think they'll place similarly at Nats next week. Avon and Bell are just too incredibly good.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if it's a continuation (sort of like Bell and their '05/'06/'07 Trilogy).

...really I think Tarpon would have placed 3rd or 4th had they been at San Antonio, and I think they'll place similarly at Nats next week. Avon and Bell are just too incredibly good.

It was called "Trilogy" because it was based off of the Borne Trilogy :P but I agree it has a very similar feel to it. Its possible they could surpass Bell if they clean up the ensemble sounds like Danpod said, or if Bell has a bad visual run (see 06 :()/can't quite clean the heck out of their show. To be honest, I think Bell could place around 4th or 5th this year (really hope I'm wrong) with all the good shows and groups that are going to be there.

But heck, this is my second year following BOA. I have a lot to learn :lol:

Edited by Mellophone77

Bell may have had a dirtier show than usual, but I think they've had to time to power clean it and I think it'll be amazing Saturday!

I'm curious to see how SFA turned out, they started strong, but they've been a little low key.

How about CP, I want to see if they can score higher at Gnats, they usually peak around state.

I really want to see Churchill in finals!

I have been wondering the same things.

I haven't really been following them, but has SFA done ANY competitions other than BOA Woodlands and UIL Region...? I am wondering how they're doing. It would be a huge surprise if come prelims this week, we all suddenly realize that they never quite achieved the level we thought they would... I am eagerly awaiting their first performance! (Let me clarify that I have every confidence that they will be fine, just putting it out there that they could be having some issues)

As for Cedar Park, I REALLY want them to be in finals. They had some great momentum going at the beginning of the season, however they proved to be a tad disappointing at SA. I hope they can clean like crazy!

:D

Bell may have had a dirtier show than usual, but I think they've had to time to power clean it and I think it'll be amazing Saturday!

I'm curious to see how SFA turned out, they started strong, but they've been a little low key.

How about CP, I want to see if they can score higher at Gnats, they usually peak around state.

I really want to see Churchill in finals!

I have been wondering the same things.

I haven't really been following them, but has SFA done ANY competitions other than BOA Woodlands and UIL Region...? I am wondering how they're doing. It would be a huge surprise if come prelims this week, we all suddenly realize that they never quite achieved the level we thought they would... I am eagerly awaiting their first performance! (Let me clarify that I have every confidence that they will be fine, just putting it out there that they could be having some issues)

SFA has been completely under the radar ever since UIL Region, which will be 4 weeks ago tomorrow. Not a single contest for them since then. Considering the only contest data we have for them is BOA The Woodlands (The SFA directors were calling it "BOA Conroe", heh) which was over a month ago where they held 1st place leads in prelims by 2.8 points and in Finals by 2.4 points, we honestly have no clue what they're going to bring to the table at Nationals. Heck, they might even be fielding a stronger program than LD Bell or Marcus right now and we may not even be aware of it!

SFA has been completely under the radar ever since UIL Region, which will be 4 weeks ago tomorrow. Not a single contest for them since then. Considering the only contest data we have for them is BOA The Woodlands (The SFA directors were calling it "BOA Conroe", heh) which was over a month ago where they held 1st place leads in prelims by 2.8 points and in Finals by 2.4 points, we honestly have no clue what they're going to bring to the table at Nationals. Heck, they might even be fielding a stronger program than LD Bell or Marcus right now and we may not even be aware of it!

That would be both crazy and awesome. :D

Dear Lord....haha. I would think they would want them to go in a with a LITTLE more contest experience. I dunno though. They know what they're doing. Seems like an odd move. And MAN OH MAN would I love for them to go in there on Saturday and beat LD BELL!!!!! I wanna say they can do it, but especially with this year's competition it's going to be extremely unlikely....

& what's up with the BOA Conroe thing...? Do they not like The Woodlands or something? haha. odd.

Edited by mellopwn1

& what's up with the BOA Conroe thing...? Do they not like The Woodlands or something? haha. odd.

If you read my little schpiel here, it might be a little easier to understand the confusion. Just keep in mind that the Woodlands only became its own town in the past couple years and the school has always been served by Conroe ISD.

Btw is any of the txbands staff going to be in Indianapolis this weekend to do txbandslive? On a side note I'm pretty sure my old hs band director is there with the Plymouth-Canton band. Either way pretty excited and hoping that Bell can bring the eagle back to Texas.

I will be flying up to Indianapolis Friday morning. Not sure how much blogging I will do other than some basic impressions and any time that results are being announced.

Semi-Finals Performance Order:

Adair County

Godwin Heights

Brentwood

Morton

Lafayette, LA

Ben Davis

Western

Northmont

Ayala

Carmel

Stephen F. Austin

Kennesaw Mountain

Walled Lake Central

William Mason

BREAK

Union

Lincoln-Way East

Kiski Area

Cedar Park

Center Grove

Bourbon County

Marian Catholic

Centerville

Plymouth Canton

Lafayette, KY

BREAK

Broken Arrow

Tarpon Springs

Avon

Lawrence Central

L.D. Bell

Lake Central

Winston Churchill

Dobyns-Bennett

Lake Park

West Bloomfield

RUMOR ALERT:

Although Prelims scores will not be released until later this weekend or Monday, a tiny little bird may have told me that the Top 12 so far is loaded with the usual suspects, along with a few Texas programs.

With that, I am off to bed because I have work in the morning!!!