2010 UIL Regionals

Irving and MacArthur have taken huge steps forward! In fact, this is the first time that Irving HS has ever advanced to Area. The last time they made a I was back when only the top 2 bands in the Region advanced.

DeSoto looked like the could have done well enough if they hadn't have just this week been hit with a very very large number of NP/NP problems. It was a well enough designed show, but it is impossible to deal with having a quarter of your band missing.

I'm excited that it looks like we aren't going to have any problems with Area C reaching 20 bands.

Will the Region 21 bands attend? If not, there will not be 20. Does it take 20 or 21 to have 10 bands compete in finals?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunset - 3 3 3 = III

Cedar Hill - 1 1 1 = I

Grand Prairie - 2 2 1 = II

Coppell just played and will obviously get a I, and Duncanville is about to go on.

I'm going to be away from the computer for a while, but that gives us 19 bands at Area C if C&D both make a I.

Region 21 needs to send at least 1 band to Area. I really hope that they have elected to go to Area!

From UIL Forms Region 26:

4A:

Cedar Park - 1

Cedar Ridge - 1

Elgin - 2

Hutto - 1

Lake Travis - 1

Manor - 2

Marble Falls - 2

Rouse -1

Vandegrift - 1

Vista Ridge - 1

5A:

Georgetown - 1

Leander - 1

Round Rock - 1

McNeil - 1

Westwood - 1

Stony Point - 1

Region 24 5A's:

Southlake Carroll - 1

Colleyville Heritage - 1

Grapevine - 1

Marcus - 1

Flower Mound - 1

Lewisville - 1

Hebron - 1

Region 8 5A's:

A&M Consolidated - 1

Belton - 1

Bryan - 1

Copperas Cove - 1

Killeen Ellison - 1

Killeen Harker Heights - 1

Killeen Shoemaker - 2

Temple - 1

Region 19 5A's:

Aldine - 2

Atascocita - 1

Channelview - 1

Deer Park - 1

Dobie - 2

Eisenhower - 3

Kingwood - 1

LaPorte - 2

Aldine MacArthur - 1

Aldine Nimitz - 1

North Shore - 1

Pasadena - 2

Pasadena Memorial - 1

Pasadena Rayburn - 2

South Houston - 3

Region 25 5As:

Allen - 1

McKinney Boyd - 1

Plano East - 1

Plano - 1

Plano West - 2

Just got back from Region 25 and a few thoughts:

Plano East - From what I could tell, they were better this year than the last couple. I seriously think they can contend for a spot to state at Area. Well, maybe...not 100% on that but they have a cool show this year and they can perform it excellently!

Allen - A little off from their usual. They had some issues with phasing and keeping their lines straight along with marching fundementals. They'll probably make Area finals but they may have a little bit more trouble doing it.

Plano - Fun show, that's all I can say really. They had some issues with marching but what can you expect from all white uniforms and simple drill that highlites mistakes?

McKinney Boyd - I was impressed. They were solid musically and visually but it needs some work. A few of those Guidry woodwind moments need some cleaning but otherwise it was very impressive! They may be closer to finals this time around ^_^ (if not make it)

Plano West - They just had an off run unfortunatly. The mic they had for the narrator didn't work, and musically and visually they were off. It probably didn't help that they were only marching 48 (or so) winds. Its really a shame that the 2 wasn't a surprise but it must be devistating to the students :o

Going to Area:

- Plano East

- Allen

- McKinney Boyd

Hopefully the two not going won't hurt Area B's advancement numbers :o

Doing some research...as long as every other band gets a 1, 5 bands will advance...if not...4 from Area B D:

Edited by Mellophone77

So, here's the breakdown of who has made a Division 1 so far by Area...

Area A 1st Divisions:

Amarillo

Amarillo Tascosa

Lubbock

Lubbock Coronado

Lubbock Monterey

Denton Guyer

Keller

Keller Central

Keller Fossil Ridge

Northwest

Saginaw

EP Americas

EP Bel Air

EP Coronado

EP Eastwood

EP El Dorado

EP Franklin

EP Hanks

EP Montwood

EP Socorro

Midland

Midland Lee

Odessa

Odessa Permian

There are 24 so far. Region 16 South Zone that includes Abilene High and Abilene Cooper happens on Tuesday. So, depending on their results, it could be 4 or 5 advancing from Area A.

Area B 1st Divisions:

Colleyville Heritage

Grapevine

Southlake Carroll

Lewisville

Flower Mound

Hebron

Marcus

Allen

Plano

Plano East

McKinney Boyd

Ft. Worth Paschal

North Crowley

Weatherford

That's 14 so far. We still have Region 5 to go which has their contest on Tuesday. There are 12 bands in that Region (Bell, Richland, Haltom, Arlington ISD, Mansfield ISD) , so this will also be close as to whether this Area advances 4 or 5 bands.

Area C:

Xenon has already mentioned that the schedule is up and there are 20 bands participating, so 4 advance to SMBC. No one is probably happier about that than Rowlett High.

Area D 1st Divisions:

Steele

Judson

New Braunfels

SA Wagner

Seguin

SA Churchill

SA Johnson

SA Lee

SA MacArthur

SA Madison

SA Reagan

SA Roosevelt

SA East Central

SA Highlands

Georgetown

Leander

Round Rock

McNeil

Stony Point

Westwood

Belton

Bryan

A&M Consol.

Copperas Cove

Killeen Ellison

Killeen Harker Heights

Temple

That's 27 so far, so that's at least 5 advancing to State. Region 18 will have their contest on Tuesday. There are 8 bands in that Region including Bowie, Akins, Westlake, Pflugerville, Anderson, Austin High, Del Valle, and San Marcos. I could see a couple of those making a 2, so I think we'll end up with 33 or 34 bands at the contest, allowing 6 to advance to State. I guess there's an outside chance that 8 of the Region 18 schools get 1's and we get 35 bands at Area D, thereby advancing 7 to State. We shall see.

Area E 1st Divisions:

Cy Creek

Cy Fair

Cy Falls

Cy Lakes

Cy Ranch

Cy Springs

Cy Woods

Jersey Village

Langham Creek

FB Austin

FB Clements

FB Dulles

FB Kempner

FB Travis

That's 14 so far, however, I don't think that FB Austin bothers with going to Area anymore, do they? If not, then that's only 13. Region 23 will have their contest on Tuesday, which includes the 3 Alief ISD schools, 3 schools from Houston ISD, and the 6 Katy ISD schools. I think the Katy ISD schools are the only ones that have reasonably sure chances at 1st divisions, so it's quite likely that Area E may have less than 20 schools at Area and only advance 3 to State. However, again, I'm not sure about Austin's plans, so they could be the difference maker.

Area F 1st Divisions:

Baytown Sterling

Beaumont West Brook

Humble Atascocita

Humble Kingwood

Aldine MacArthur

Aldine Nimitz

Channelview

GP North Shore

Deer Park

Pasadena Memorial

That's 10 so far. But, Region 9 (includes The Woodlands, Spring ISD, Klein ISD, etc.) has their contest on Tuesday. Also, Region 17 has their contest on Tuesday (includes Brazoswood, Clear Creek ISD schools, Dickinson, Pearland, etc.) Between those 2 Regions there are 20 more potential bands that could get 1st Divisions and most of them are consistent sweepstakes bands, so I am going to predict that at least 15 of those 20 receive 1's, meaning that this Area will have 25 bands at their contest and send 5 bands to State.

Area G 1st Divisions:

SA Brandeis

SA Clark

SA Marshall

SA O'Connor

SA Stevens

SA Taft

SA Warren

SA Southwest

South San Antonio

Del Rio

Eagle Pass

Eagle Pass Winn

CC Carroll

CC King

Laredo Alexander

Laredo Johnson

Laredo Nixon

Laredo United

Laredo United South

La Joya

La Joya Palmview

McAllen

McAllen Memorial

Mission Sharyland

Edinburg

Edinburg Economedes

Edinburg North

PSJA Memorial

PSJA North

Donna

Harlingen

Harlingen South

Brownsville Hanna

Browsville Lopez

Brownsville Pace

Brownsville Rivera

Los Fresnos

San Benito

There are 38! That is the complete list for Area G as all Region contest are now complete for them. This means that they will advance 7 schools to State from this Area.

Anyway, that is my Sunday morning analysis of the Region contests. As I mention above, Region 16 South Zone, Region 5, Region 18, Region 9, Region 17, and Region 23 all have their contests on Tuesday, so by Tuesday night we will have a definitive picture for all Areas.

Edited by jmj

Also, Coppell did an amazing job at finishing just in time! They finished the show with only 3 seconds left (7:57) according to the official time keeping. Just the week before at the Carrollton TOC, they were nearly 20 seconds over (doesn't matter at TOC) and to bring the time down by that much just by adjusting tempos in one week is tough.

Great job by JMJ. I know everyone has their favorites but Area B is going to be an unfortunate dogfight. Colleyville Heritage, Marcus, Bell, Hebron, Richland, and Plano East are all state caliber bands that will be fighting for 4 or 5 spots next week and that is if another program doesn't perform their way into the mix. I would even go out on a limb and say that Marcus, Bell, Richland, and Hebron are potentially 4 of the top 10 programs in the state as they all made state finals two years ago. I definitely will find my way to Carrollton next Saturday for this one.

Great job by JMJ. I know everyone has their favorites but Area B is going to be an unfortunate dogfight. Colleyville Heritage, Marcus, Bell, Hebron, Richland, and Plano East are all state caliber bands that will be fighting for 4 or 5 spots next week and that is if another program doesn't perform their way into the mix. I would even go out on a limb and say that Marcus, Bell, Richland, and Hebron are potentially 4 of the top 10 programs in the state as they all made state finals two years ago. I definitely will find my way to Carrollton next Saturday for this one.

And don't forget that Haltom and Mansfield are also in that Area!

Great point -- I have seen Haltom and they are also strong. Everyone will need to get to Carrollton Standridge early because it is going to be packed. Do we know yet if Area B will take 4 or 5 bands??

We won't know until after Tuesday's Region 5 contest.

Edit: Oh, and Mansfield Legacy too!

Yeah, does the number of bands that advance to state determined by the number of bands that ATTEND or by the number that ADVANCE? If its attend...every band in Region 5 will have to get a 1 for Area B to send 5.

I'll be at Area B next week ^_^ I'll probably get there on the early side after seeing what Region UIL's parking was like...

And on a random/fun side note: At Region last night there were a few people in front of me wearing the Tarpon Springs High School band's 2009 show shirt. Really cool shirt :P

Edited by Mellophone77

From the UIL Rules:

Should fifteen or more bands participate in a single conference at the area contest, one band for each five bands competing in the contest shall be certified for advancement to the state contest.

You have to have 25 bands actually competing in the Area competition for that Area to advance 5 bands to State.