Poteet 1997!! Not because I was at state skipping school in 3rd grade with my family to watch my cousin perform, or that I went there from 03-06, but because that was the best version of Ballet Sacra I have ever listened to, to this day from a MARCHING BAND. For those who may not know, Poteet marched 9 trumpets that year, and only 7 could play, the other 2 were alternates stuck in there when 2 people got sick/failed.

Cavy 2004, Sorry I was 17 and was playing James Bond while marching with one of the best Drum Corps, I don't know if I have a better reason than that.

• 2 weeks later...
Coppell High School "The Planets" Show :)

amazing.

I agree 100% on this. I love the originality of it all, especially since the Planets has been done so many times. The upbeat Jupiter part of the flutes was great, and the dna strands and also the closer. I really liked the closer because of how the melodic section of jupiter was sped up and transitioned into mars to hype up the last section, and of course when we shrank the square down and played the duuh-duuh-duh-duh-duh! for the climax.

Unfortunately, I wish there was a better video of it on youtube because the only version of it is a recording of the recording, so the pit sounds all ringy and clangy and the sound quality of the video isn't that great.

Coppell High School "The Planets" Show :)

amazing.

OKay I still don't see why people like this show so much. I respect your opinion, but it just doesn't do anything for me and some other people.(they don't want to take any heat like I will) I like Coppell, but not this show. The drill is good, but not great, the music is typical Coppell, and nothing really wows me about it. But hey thats why I'm not a judge......Yet

Coppell 2008 is the only Coppell show that I've ever liked. No offense to them, but I can just never get into their shows.

I would have to throw in 1999 Coppell (4A State Marching Champions) playing Dvorak. 4A Finals at Floyd Casey was the BEST performance (see link below). For me, nothing tops minute 8:00 in this video... the end of New World IV when the entire Coppell Band, in their all white, forms a huge globe and rotates over the entire field... speechless!

I definitely understand the weather concerns, but I sure miss the days of outdoor SMBC. I thought Floyd Casey in Waco was the perfect venue!

West Genesee's classic performance of Over The Rainbow, from the 1980 Festival of States competition, in St. Petersburg.

They created a rainbow at the back of their show, by suspending balloons of various colors behind the far yard line.

My HS band came down from Ohio, thinking we were going to win that contest in 1980 - easily. Boy, were we in for a shock......WG was the dominant program nationwide, in the late 70's/early 80's. And they proved that night who was #1 - it wasn't us.

OK, maybe the effect was cheesy, and maybe the music and drill lacks the speed and complexity of modern shows. No, they didn't have any jazz running at 200 BPM. No, they didn't have 30 kids in the front ensemble. (Technically, they didn't have a front ensemble; every percussion instrument was carried, even the timpanis.) They still performed with great showmanship and enthusiasm, and that how is they won.

Sadly, many of the great performances of that era have been lost. You can occasionally find videos of them on youtube, but I had to spend a whole week, trying to find this show alone. There's also a grainy, black-and-white video of Falls Church from this contest, but is poor quality.

So many people today think that marching band began in 1984, with the first BOA show in Indianapolis. That is simply not true. There were great performances before then, and they shouldn't be ignored or forgotten.

Edited by king_leonides

churchill band 2008-this show was a little bit more "controversal" but i think the main goal of a marching band show is to capture an emotion or a range of emotions and make your audience feel those emotions, well this show did something that i've never seen before they made capture opposite emotions and fitted them in together well and made a great show. i just loved the contrast of emotions in that show. and i think (un intentionally) that they made their audience feel an emotion not commonly used in marching band shows and thats a bit of anger :rolleyes: . mainly i love how this show pushed boundries check it out on youtube, type in "churchill band 2008"

There have been so many great shows, it's hard to chose a favorite. Here are three of my favorites:

Broken Arrow 06- So very clean, and the different colors in their uniform were used to great effect.

Marcus 07- the Finale from Candide was some of the best sounding music I've heard on a marching field.

Regan 03- The execution in this performance was fantastic, and I loved the concepts presented. It was a beautiful show.

• 2 weeks later...

All time favorite

Marcus 07

so much relay and connection from preformer to audience, The crickets before the show leading into the anouncment, followed by morning mood made me feel like I was waking up to a beautiful world, not sure what the next part was but it was very energizing, The ladybug was the greatest thing a band has ever done for it's extra's, and it was histarical, I was sobing like a small child who had a splinter in his wrist, during make our garden grow, that soloist in that part has got a future, Id guess Juliard. And the William tell overture was very energetic, an excellent end to an excellent show.

Runner up

LD Bell 07 - defently A strong show, the girl they used was creepy, escpesially being followed around by the stalking tall yellow/white thing/color gaurd member, The music was impressive, Pans labyrinth's music was never terryfing to me untill I saw this show, the only thing missing was the Pale man, This show was boss.