2010 High School Shows

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's The Woodlands & SFA doing this year?

I post over on the boa forums and read these quite often too, so I guess I might start posting here in addition!

Anyway, I asked the same question over there and in response a fellow poster posted a link to a youtube video (that sadly was removed at request of The Woodlands' directors. It's ridiculous really, it's not as if we don't know they are going to have a show this year, but I digress.) of their first halftime performance! The announcements before the performance said they were performing Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" and Stravinsky's "Petrushka" which is VERY exciting.

With the departure of two band directors and two guard directors, I was worried about the state of their program and, for the most part, my worries have been put to rest. They are looking quite good for this early and the music is sounding fantastic. The Woodlands guard, which has experienced somewhat of a downward spiral in quality since 2006, seems to have improved under the new director. Spins were in sync, no rifle drops, etc. Very impressive.

I have been following them for several years since we are in the region, and I have enjoyed all of their shows with the exception of 2005 (Competition) and 2008 (Rhapsody)...those honestly were complete (negative) departures from the programs usual level of execution and design. Both of those were "off" years when they didn't go to GN. As this is one of those years, I hope their show doesn't go the same route. From what i have seen, it doesn't seem to be like it will, but only time will tell.

P.S., if anyone from The Woodlands wishes me to remove this post, it would be my pleasure. :P

Edited by mellopwn1

Hebron HS:

"Music For A Darkened Path": Sensemaya, Giving by Melilo, and Scythian Suite. Rumor has it the guard is costumed as Little Red Riding Hood. Hebron's take on fairy tales?

Supposedly, ALOT of elaborately designed props, great drill by Michael Gaines again, a very strong guard, and outstanding musical performance from the Texas 5A Honor Band.

Hebron HS:

"Music For A Darkened Path": Sensemaya, Giving by Melilo, and Scythian Suite. Rumor has it the guard is costumed as Little Red Riding Hood. Hebron's take on fairy tales?

Supposedly, ALOT of elaborately designed props, great drill by Michael Gaines again, a very strong guard, and outstanding musical performance from the Texas 5A Honor Band.

That sounds like it could be really awesome.

Nice, mellopwn. One of the longest responses on a show I have seen yet. I saw the Woodlands last year, beat Richland by taking 4th (I think) at BOA Super regionals, pretty awesome show live. I hope to see again, the same quality show that I saw last year from the Woodlands.

The Woodlands got third and Richland got sixth ;) Their show this year seems like it'll be good but its hard to tell from the recording I saw (since its so early in the season).

And I agree with Xenon. I'm excited to see what Hebron will bring to the field! :D

Update 9/24:

Allen's show is New World Symphony.

Edited by Mellophone77

• 3 weeks later...
This is Legacy's first year with all 4 grades 9-12 right? Sould be a good year for them. I love the creative ideas Legacy has done with electronic instruments these past couple years. I'm hoping to see more of the same this year.

sdrawkcab loochs hgih ycagel, ycagel.... B)

They've had all four grades since opening 4 years ago, but this is the first senior class with all four years at Legacy. Previous senior classes were smaller due to the campus choice option available when Legacy first opened. Additionally, Legacy moves to 5A this year. Region 5, Area B

Edited by drummerdad

They've had all four grades since opening 4 years ago, but this is the first senior class with all four years at Legacy. Previous senior classes were smaller due to the campus choice option available when Legacy first opened. Additionally, Legacy moves to 5A this year. Region 5, Area B

Ahh, my mistake. I remember reading something that sounded similar to that but assumed they were taking the add-a-class-each-year approach. I put 2 and 2 together and thus came to a false conclusion.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see how far they go as 5A, after being one of the state's top 4A bands.

Must... Resist... Snarky... Comment...

...Thank you!

You're self control is admirable...I'm sure this is merely the effect of weeks of practice on hot asphalt and the desire to actually play for a full audience of people who really want to watch a marching band show.

Humility should always be advocated here.