Hightower H.S., TX 4:00

Pflugerville H.S., TX 4:15

Additional Info @: http://www.musicforall.org/programs/region...A.HoustonTX.pdf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regional Breakdown/Notes:

Ahh, to remember the times when the Houston Regional was the bloodbath Regional at the end of the season. Nevertheless, this Regional has proven to be a great early season contest. Quality programs, with tons of success at the State and National levels, are a staple here.

Block of the Day: Third Block

Even with Cypress Falls not being able to attend Finals due to Homecoming lewdness, this block is pretty stacked with four programs that I think will easily make the night contest. The Woodlands are the most dangerous program in the State of Texas. Friendswood made two Regional Finals last year and were named the 2010 4A Honor Band over this past Summer. Winston Churchill should have a nice showing. Brazoswood will be in, as long as a 2007-esque incident is avoided.

Finalists: No order, and completely random.

1. The Woodlands H.S.

2. Lafayette H.S.

3. Cedar Park H.S.

4. Winston Churchill H.S.

5. Stephen F. Austin H.S.

6. James Bowie H.S.

7. Friendswood H.S.

8. Brazoswood H.S.

9. Clear Brook H.S.

10. Spring H.S.

Solid lineup, yes? Cracking this top ten is going to be difficult. If I had to pick a program to make things interesting, I'd pick Vista Ridge. This young program seems to always put on solid performances, regardless of the venue.

Regional Champion: Stephen F. Austin

Picking Stephen F. Austin to win the Houston Regional is a safer bet than bad acting in a Megan Fox film. The Bulldog Band owns this Regional, although my numerous petitions to rename this event the "Houston Regional Presented by the Stephen F. Austin H.S. Band" have gone unanswered. These guys are great, early season or late.

My dark horse to possibly take this Regional is going to be The Woodlands. What makes things difficult for them is actually what makes them so awesome. The Woodlands' shows are so involved that it takes the whole season for everything in the program to develop. There's definitely nothing wrong with that, considering that they slaughter programs in November.

If you're going, I hope you all enjoy this event! Entertainment will be plentiful, I guarantee!

Picking Stephen F. Austin to win the Houston Regional is a safer bet than bad acting in a Megan Fox film.

So very very true. But you have to admit that both are also very nice to look at.

And I completely agree with your finalists picks. My only question with Friendswood is that they will be preparing a lot of music for their Honor Band concert and so might have less time to commit as fully to the marching band side of the program this year.

When it comes to Firendswood, you do not have to worry about them juggling honor band and the marching band, as four years ago they were honor band and earned second in state. I agree with Vista Ridge being the program to watch, I saw them a week ago at a football game and they had an amazing performance, musically and visually. I cant wait for October 3rd!!!

Edited by titancoaster

There will be 4 staff members at the Houston regional so if you go you should come by and say hi! I know Brandon(takigan) will be doing the live blog for pre-lims, so be on the look out for that. If you don't know what we look like to find us go check out the staff bios so you can spot us easier! I hope to see some of you there. We are really friendly I promise. :)

Good luck to all the bands competing!

Just came back from seeing Stephen F. Austin perform "The Other Side" (Music by Tchaikovsky) at halftime before tomorrows performance. The band looks really good, their show is complete from beginning to closer. Good use of tempo throughout the program, but the only problem that I saw was the inconsistency of balance between woodwinds and brass. Visual ensemble performance looks pretty clean. Snares and tenors are rockin it out, but the basses can clean it up a little.

Ohh the Angels, they looked amazing in their red dresses with a special "white" center piece....Other than that, I loved the show, especially the power from the final chord at the end! Keep up the good work and best of wishes Saturday :D

TxBands staff attendance at this Regional will be a little bit more lackluster than previously predicted. Don't look too hard for us in the stands during prelims, most of us probably won't be there until later in the afternoon. But rest assured a group of us will be cheering our hearts out for everybody in finals. LiveBlog plans for the day are pending at the moment, so don't freak out if nothing is running for the majority of the event :/ .

Sorry about this guys....

TxBands staff attendance at this Regional will be a little bit more lackluster than previously predicted. Don't look too hard for us in the stands during prelims, most of us probably won't be there until later in the afternoon. But rest assured a group of us will be cheering our hearts out for everybody in finals. LiveBlog plans for the day are pending at the moment, so don't freak out if nothing is running for the majority of the event :/ .

Sorry about this guys....

Shucks. I can only do afternoon prelims (game tomorrow night). Oh well.

Thanks for covering it regardless, guys!