Westlake Marching Festival 2009

performance order for Westlake is determined by if you you were a class champion the year previous you perform last in your class (and I believe Bowie and CP tied last year) and then it is random/when you turn in your registration. The finals time is split with the bottom five performing first (random draw) and top five performing last (a seperate draw)

No, cp won prelims outright last year, but split captions with Bowie (cp got music and perc, Bowie got visual and aux). Maybe they took captions into account?

AHH!!! I miss watching the Finals for this Competition!!! The predictions were really hard to decide! I noticed that VR doesn't do too well early season, but like PWN later season, then Georgetown's placements fluctuate year after year, then Clements is attending for the first time, then Dripping springs is supposedly doing extremely well this year, and of course you have Bowie and CP that almost always compete for top spot... I loved that year when Georgetown had an awesome performance and got 2nd place something while watching their show told me that they hit it spot on that night... Anyway I really wish I could go watch finals :((

Just noticed that there were 8 state participants from the last 2 years...add Round Rock, Georgetown, and Pflugerville and you've got quite the contest. Pflugerville did very well in Houston last week, so I think they can make some noise here. Georgetown's show always seems to feature some very complicated musical combinations in which songs overlap and intersect, which sometimes make it seem slightly dirty, but I really like their theme this year. I'll agree with the fact that Vista usually does get off to slow starts. They've been to this contest 3 times and have gotten 11th all three times, so I'm hoping they can break that this year. Should be interesting.

Im really interested to see how Hendrickson and Dripping Springs stack up against each other. Preview of Area D. I also can't wait to hear Cedar Park do Scheherezade. I saw a video of their show pretty early in the season and that first statement is pretty HUGE. They also stayed pretty true to the original score which I like alot. And I hear Bowie is doing killer this year. It's going to be a pretty wicked day.

Edited by Rocktapus512

Finalists:

O'Connor

Akins

Bowie

Pflugerville

Vista Ridge

Cedar Park

Round Rock

Clements (Sugar Land)

Dripping Springs

Hendrickson

5A Prelims:

high music: Cedar Park

high marching: Bowie

3rd- Clements 87.05

2nd- Bowie 89.0125

1st - Cedar Park 89.1

soooo close between CP and Bowie - they are both sooo amazing. CP's music was spot on and Bowie's visual package is quite incredible. All bands today have been soo entertaining! Good job to all!

Great job to all the bands out at the (very cold) Westlake contest today!

CP and Bowie - You are are in a class by yourselves. I so enjoyed your performances. Musical performance from Cedar Park tonight was outstanding. As always, you blow me away with your power and intensity. Soloists were super - love the trumpet trio at the beginning of the 4th mvmt and the huge hit by the whole band that comes thereafter. They really make Scheherezade come alive!

Bowie - Such incredible demand of drill. So impressive is how many notes are played on the move while the band is doing very difficult maneuvers. Loved the 4-to-5 jazz run and pyramid with the all-seeing eye set, too. The guard with the hooded capes is quite cool, as well. The body carriage of the individuals is really stellar - the shoulders are back and the toes are high from every single person. Well done!

Clements - Thanks for making the trip all the long way to Austin! It was a real treat for us Austin metro peeps to get to see a Houston-area band at a local contest. Really lovely performance in finals! I think my MVP section of the night must go to the Clements flutes (which I think there were at least 30) - flutes were so clean, so clear and played so many notes! Superb!

Akins - Great focused intense performance! Loved the rotating diamond block set. This was marched grandly. Some beautiful soloists and great woodwind licks in here, too! The theme and stage curtain/box props were well utilized. I loved the end when all of the band members got swept up behind the stage curtains. Really great!

Westlake's Exhibition - Well I'm a big sucker for Sorcerer's Apprentice, Also Sprach Zarathustra, and Festive Overture, which you played all of them very nicely! The ending set with the colorguard all running to contribute their colored block to the creation of the solved Rubic's cube was a great moment!

Everybody - be proud of the way you marched and played today! You made me happy!

Good luck to all of the bands at their upcoming UIL contests!

Great job to all the bands out at the (very cold) Westlake contest today!

CP and Bowie - You are are in a class by yourselves. I so enjoyed your performances. Musical performance from Cedar Park tonight was outstanding. As always, you blow me away with your power and intensity. Soloists were super - love the trumpet trio at the beginning of the 4th mvmt and the huge hit by the whole band that comes thereafter. They really make Scheherezade come alive!

Bowie - Such incredible demand of drill. So impressive is how many notes are played on the move while the band is doing very difficult maneuvers. Loved the 4-to-5 jazz run and pyramid with the all-seeing eye set, too. The guard with the hooded capes is quite cool, as well. The body carriage of the individuals is really stellar - the shoulders are back and the toes are high from every single person. Well done!

Clements - Thanks for making the trip all the long way to Austin! It was a real treat for us Austin metro peeps to get to see a Houston-area band at a local contest. Really lovely performance in finals! I think my MVP section of the night must go to the Clements flutes (which I think there were at least 30) - flutes were so clean, so clear and played so many notes! Superb!

Akins - Great focused intense performance! Loved the rotating diamond block set. This was marched grandly. Some beautiful soloists and great woodwind licks in here, too! The theme and stage curtain/box props were well utilized. I loved the end when all of the band members got swept up behind the stage curtains. Really great!

Westlake's Exhibition - Well I'm a big sucker for Sorcerer's Apprentice, Also Sprach Zarathustra, and Festive Overture, which you played all of them very nicely! The ending set with the colorguard all running to contribute their colored block to the creation of the solved Rubic's cube was a great moment!

Everybody - be proud of the way you marched and played today! You made me happy!

Good luck to all of the bands at their upcoming UIL contests!

Thanks for posting this! I love reading these opposed to just the scores because I don't always get to attend the competitions.

1st Cedar Park 92.075

2nd Bowie 90.825

3rd Dripping Springs 88.10

4th Clements 87.725

5th Akins 84.675

6th Round Rock 81.55

7th Vista Ridge 81.0125

8th Pflugerville 80.15

9th O' Connor 78.95

10th Hendrickson 75.60

Music:Cedar Park

Marching:Cedar Park

Aux:Dripping Springs

Perc:Cedar Park

GE:Bowie

I have to give props to Clements high school. They put on one heck of a show. they are awsome marchers and players and they execute their drill near perfectly. all around they had an awsome show in my opinion. Cedar Park and Bowie always bring the sound. Scheherezade... OH YA! Nailed it. It was a great day in all and congrats to everyone who made finals.

Edited by Rocktapus512

Wow! What a spectacular set of performances from everybody at Westlake!! Congratulations to all the bands that participated.

I don't care what scores say, Bowie and Cedar Park are neck and neck at their level of performance. Numbers cannot separate either of the marching bands. All that counts is putting a great show on the field and that is something EVERY band had done.

I saw a few shows but I wish I could have seen more. From what I was told by a number of individuals all the shows were phenomenal.

Once again, congratulations to all participating bands!! :)

1st Cedar Park 92.075

2nd Bowie 90.825

3rd Dripping Springs 88.10

4th Clements 87.725

5th Akins 84.675

6th Round Rock 81.55

7th Vista Ridge 81.0125

8th Pflugerville 80.15

9th O' Connor 78.95

10th Hendrickson 75.60

Music:Cedar Park

Marching:Cedar Park

Aux:Dripping Springs

Perc:Cedar Park

GE:Bowie

I have to give props to Clements high school. They put on one heck of a show. they are awsome marchers and players and they execute their drill near perfectly. all around they had an awsome show in my opinion. Cedar Park and Bowie always bring the sound. Scheherezade... OH YA! Nailed it. It was a great day in all and congrats to everyone who made finals.

As a Clements Band mom ^^thanks for saying that, I didn't get to go, and its always nice to hear someone else's opinion. I know they are so proud of how they did, they knew going in that they were up against really stiff competition. Congrats to all the bands!!

Wow! What a spectacular set of performances from everybody at Westlake!! Congratulations to all the bands that participated.

I don't care what scores say, Bowie and Cedar Park are neck and neck at their level of performance. Numbers cannot separate either of the marching bands. All that counts is putting a great show on the field and that is something EVERY band had done.

I saw a few shows but I wish I could have seen more. From what I was told by a number of individuals all the shows were phenomenal.

Once again, congratulations to all participating bands!! :)

As a Bowie band member I greatly appreciate this :) Personally I think that what makes us and you guys so good is our level of competition. And that's not just for Bowie and CP, I think every band really stepped it up last night.

I didn't get to see Clements or Dripping Springs but from what I've heard they both did amazing so congrats to them! And of course, congratulations to all the bands that participated!!!

anybody care to write about dripping springs?

Dripping Springs-Moments In Crime: Chase, Capture, Escape. The Music Of Sergei Rachmaninoff. This show is based on a jewel robbery. the guard(thiefs) steal the Head Drum Major's Pink Plumed Shako(Jewel). Police sirons lead into a dark low brass heavy intro. The juxtaposition between low dark brass and high woodwind accents sets a forboding tone through the opener. The ballad a nice smooth fusion of warm woodwind sounds with the Mellophone and Euphonium. A nice Euphonium solo. The band comes together on the front side line reprising the main melody. They seperate and start their closer, the escape of the bad guy. Pointed Sharp sounds from the intire band. With a cool follow the leader. In the end the band reprising the opener plays the first phrase of the show while marching backfield into a wedge as the "thief" runs out of the stadium with the shako.

Edited by Rocktapus512