Westlake Marching Festival 2009

Too early to tell considering hardly anyone has even had their first performance yet, and the lineup for Westlake is likely to change over the next 6 weeks, but I think Bowie will be highly favored to win. They're likely to be firing on all cylinders from day one until finals night in Indy.

This will probably be an off year for Cedar Park considering the visionary Jeremy Spicer is no longer with the program. I still expect them to be in top 3 though. Their show is entitled "The Many Tales of Scheherazade".

Vista Ridge will be attending with their show, "On the Move". I expect them to make finals, most likely top 5 depending on who else competes.

Connally will not be attending as they will be at BOA Arlington

Leander will not be attending as they will be at BOA Arlington

Round Rock will be attending with their field show "vOLtStЯYʞE". They will probably make finals.

Georgetown will be attending with their field show "State of Mind" . They will most likely make finals but considering they placed 3rd in '04, 6th in '06, 2nd in '07 and 7th in '08 I have no clue where to place them this year.

Based on the OP's inquiry I'm assuming Dripping Springs is attending though their site doesn't confirm it.

W. Charles Akins will be attending with an as of yet undisclosed show. I expect them to place in the top 5.

Too early to tell considering hardly anyone has even had their first performance yet, and the lineup for Westlake is likely to change over the next 6 weeks, but I think Bowie will be highly favored to win. They're likely to be firing on all cylinders from day one until finals night in Indy.

This will probably be an off year for Cedar Park considering the visionary Jeremy Spicer is no longer with the program. I still expect them to be in top 3 though. Their show is entitled "The Many Tales of Scheherazade".

Vista Ridge will be attending with their show, "On the Move". I expect them to make finals, most likely top 5 depending on who else competes.

Connally will not be attending as they will be at BOA Arlington

Leander will not be attending as they will be at BOA Arlington

Round Rock will be attending with their field show "vOLtStЯYʞE". They will probably make finals.

Georgetown will be attending with their field show "State of Mind" . They will most likely make finals but considering they placed 3rd in '04, 6th in '06, 2nd in '07 and 7th in '08 I have no clue where to place them this year.

Based on the OP's inquiry I'm assuming Dripping Springs is attending though their site doesn't confirm it.

W. Charles Akins will be attending with an as of yet undisclosed show. I expect them to place in the top 5.

I believe Jeremy Spicer's new band Vandegrift band is going to be at Westlake this year.

First of all let me just say.....Ouch.

Cedar Park was excellent before Jeremy Spicer, in fact the year before he was here we were 2nd place in the state(we have not done that good since then).

The year he showed up was a BOA year, and we did not place in finals. The next year he was in charge we got 20th in state. The year after that we got 12th at BOA finals, and this year 4th at state. It's not about the director. It's about the students. Last year our brass consisted of mostly sophomores and juniors. This year those powerhouse brass players are either all juniors or seniors (more air = more volume). Plus our staff this year is equally as excellent. Spicer seems to know quite a bit about marching from his personal experience, but the best he ever did in corps was 2nd. Our new head of visual for marching band, (Bob Chreste) got 1st the year spicer got 2nd.(Hmm) He is also older and has more experience in teaching marching. I believe this program has been getting better for the past few years, and has nowhere to go but up.

But hey, I don't really need to say all this, because the field tells all.

Cedar Park was excellent before Jeremy Spicer, in fact the year before he was here we were 2nd place in the state(we have not done that good since then).

The year he showed up was a BOA year, and we did not place in finals. The next year he was in charge we got 20th in state. The year after that we got 12th at BOA finals, and this year 4th at state. It's not about the director. It's about the students. Last year our brass consisted of mostly sophomores and juniors. This year those powerhouse brass players are either all juniors or seniors (more air = more volume). Plus our staff this year is equally as excellent. Spicer seems to know quite a bit about marching from his personal experience, but the best he ever did in corps was 2nd. Our new head of visual for marching band, (Bob Chreste) got 1st the year spicer got 2nd.(Hmm) He is also older and has more experience in teaching marching. I believe this program has been getting better for the past few years, and has nowhere to go but up.

Let's not get testy please. We don't need a repeat of last year. Can't we all just get along? :)

Also, just to correct your info Spicer was at CP for the 2nd place State finish.

Calm down. Staff changes are always hard and he still thought you'd be top 3. And since when does the placement of the corps you marched with define how good of a director you are?

Calm down. Staff changes are always hard and he still thought you'd be top 3. And since when does the placement of the corps you marched with define how good of a director you are?

I don't really know, but our staff this year is much better IMO. I just am slightly offended that Cedar Parks standards have been lowered....

I don't really know, but our staff this year is much better IMO. I just am slightly offended that Cedar Parks standards have been lowered....

No one standards can be "lowered" by anyone but the band itself. I went back to find where someone dissed your program but found nothing but a staff members simple opinion and even what he said was not mean by any standards. No need to jump to the defense over something like that. Let your actions do the talking not your words.

The strength of a band program is dependent on many factors: The number of directors, the quality and education of those directors, the accessibility to paraprofessional staff (lesson teachers, field staff, design teams), the quality of said staff, the affluence of the student body which enables the school and therefore band to be affluent ($$$), the power of the booster organization and their capability to raise money, the quality of parents; their involvement with the program and the way they raise their children, the amount of rehearsal time and how effectively it's used, a streamlined administration and scheduling (if your superintendent hates the band, your program is history), the collective quality of your facilities (lack of rehearsal space creates inconveniences which hinder progress), the quality of instruments the school has as well as the student's have the capability to purchase for themselves, the quality of the elementary and feeder junior highs.....and of course most importantly the quality of the competitive culture of the students and how hard and efficiently they are willing to work to best utilize all of the above.

The very best schools have a strong combination of all of the aforementioned....a band director is only a small (though important) piece.....losing a crucial director rarely ruins a program, but history has shown it consistently results in a drop in competitive prowess (Westfield after Geiger, Ronald Reagan after Chambers etc.). There are exceptions but when making logical predictions it makes the most sense to side with precedent.

I just watched a video that you posted...I would be careful.

That performance was one of our worst to date, I was just trying to share what the show was like overall. And the parents who filmed it were parents of a child in our Alternate block.....so half the time you were watching people march who would not be there at a competition.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The schedule I received is:

Class AA/AAA

Lago Vista 11:00

Llano 11:15

Class AAAA

Vandergrift 11:45

Steele 12:00

Alice 12:15

Hays 12:30

Dripping Springs 12:45

Class AAAAA

Shoemaker 1:30

Anderson 1:45

Hendrickson 2:00

Vista Ridge 2:15

Westwood 2:30

Lake Travis 2:45

Georgetown 3:00

Round Rock 3:15

O'Connor 3:45

Weslaco 4:00

Pflugerville 4:15

Economedes 4:30

Clements 4:45

Akins 5:00

Bowie 5:15

Cedar Park 5:30

performance order for Westlake is determined by if you you were a class champion the year previous you perform last in your class (and I believe Bowie and CP tied last year) and then it is random/when you turn in your registration. The finals time is split with the bottom five performing first (random draw) and top five performing last (a seperate draw)