My 2008 GN Prelims Thoughts

2008 BOA Grand Nationals Prelims are finished and I was able to make it out here to the Lucas Oil Stadium for all the bands on Friday from Metamora on.

The new stadium here is gorgeous on the inside (even if it looks a little barnish on the outside) and the facilities are extremely nice, although the concessions are beyond obscenely expensive. $4.25 for a bag of M&Ms and $5.50 for a drink. The Club Level seats (sections 3xx & 4xx) are absolutely awesome. On this level, there isn't a single seat (all the way to the goal line) that doesn't look great and still have really good clear sounds. Although, the battery is still a bit boomy because of the metal roof, although the roof's immense height mitigates this a little bit.

I will work on posting some highlights of what I've seen here in the 2nd half of Friday Prelims later in this thread.

Western Carolina University is absolutely rocking the house down right now and Prelims results and Semi-Finalist announcements will be coming up soon. I will be posting these on http://live.txbands.com and then repost them here after everything is said and done.

Lake Orion - Divide and Conquer - They had a pretty cool idea where the brass started in uniforms and the battery and woodwinds each had different shirt designs on. After the opener, the brass conquered the battery, consumed them into the brass drill forms, and then the battery took their shirts off to reveal the band uniforms. The same thing happened later to the woodwinds to lead into the closer section.

Monrovia - I was kind of underwhelmed for most of the show, but in the last 30 seconds, they completely turned everything around and dropped my jaw with fast drill well done, and woodwind runs that were absolutely amazing considering how small this band is.

Lake Central - Finally a band played the Nobuo Uematsu song from the Final Fantasy series that absolutely deserves to be iplayed as one of the most moving ballads that could ever be if you are at all familiar with the story line and music from Final Fantasy 7. They played Aerith's (Aeris' in the American version) theme to the point of putting shivers down my spine.

Clayton - Let's do the Time Warp agaaaaaaaaain.

Central Crossing - Crosseyed smiley tarps and flags abound. They pulled the audience participation card with Happy and You Know It.

Louisville Male - Heartstrings - This is a really cool mixing of West Side Story and Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. I love the way the music flows and the colors from one blend with the textures and melodies of the other.

Centerville - Wild Things - Wow. I think they will be a solid Finalist. They won't be the 13th place heartbreak this year. This is such a really cool jazzy show and they play the music greatly. They even play didgeridoos, although I'm not sure if they are doing the circular breathing.

Marian Catholic - I absolutely love this show! The drill design is amazing and the music is extremely enthralling. They even do the DNA twist straight out of Spring 1993, diagonal and everything! The dance marching in 1.2.123123 is awesome and the arrangements in the closer of all kinds of common tunes into all kinds of weird minors is amazing.

PCEP - . . . . . . . Won't make Finals. Period. Not even close. The multicolored pastel plumes were really cool, but the show just wasn't performed.

Eastern - A Matrix show with Trinity in the tight tight leather as the drum major. And trombone double-tonguing!

Kennesaw Mountain - Their voice-overs were WAY TOO LOOOOOUUUUUDDDD!!!!. . . . . . Waaaaaay too loud. And the marching was really fairly bad. I didn't really care for the show overall, but I have to admit that they really had their great musical moments as they always do.

Jenison - Wow! Completely and utterly solid in every way! but I just don't think the GE is there.

Semifinalists are:

Avon, IN

LD Bell, TX

Ben Davis, IN

Lake Park, IL

Tarpon Springs, FL

Lawrence Central, IN

Union, OK

Center Grove, IN

PCEP, MI

Kennesaw Mountiain, GA

Carmel, IN

Mason, OH

Lousiville Male, KY

Bellbrook, OH

Centerville, OH

Broken Arrow, OK

Jenison, MI

Fred J Page, TN

Kiski Area, PA

Gibson Southern, IN

Lake Central, IN

Marian Catholic, IL

Lafeyette, LA

Dobbins Bennet?, TN

Father Ryan, TN

Beechwood, KY

Vista Marietta, CA

American Fork, KY

Bourban County, KY

Northmont, OH

Central Crossing, OH

Columbus North, IN

West Bloomfield, MI

Semifinalists are:

Avon, IN

LD Bell, TX

Ben Davis, IN

Lake Park, IL

Tarpon Springs, FL

Lawrence Central, IN

Union, OK

Center Grove, IN

PCEP, MI

Kennesaw Mountiain, GA

Carmel, IN

Mason, OH

Lousiville Male, KY

Bellbrook, OH

Centerville, OH

Broken Arrow, OK

Jenison, MI

Fred J Page, TN

Kiski Area, PA

Gibson Southern, IN

Lake Central, IN

Marian Catholic, IL

Lafeyette, LA

Dobbins Bennet?, TN

Father Ryan, TN

Beechwood, KY

Vista Marietta, CA

American Fork, KY

Bourban County, KY

Northmont, OH

Central Crossing, OH

Columbus North, IN

West Bloomfield, MI

lol your "?" it's Dobyns-Bennett. lol for future reference

I put this in the other GN thread too, but I just want to make sure it's heard...

I am so SHOCKED that Colleyville Heritage didn't make semis. They had a terrific run this morning, and their sound was far superior to many of the other bands who were picked to go on. Maybe it was their early time that hurt them. I thoroughly enjoyed their show!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even know these kids and I can tell you that I was drawn into their show from start to finish and I even woke up early this morning to see them.....

SEMI-FINALS

Band Start Time

Bourbon County H.S. 7:45 a.m.

Beechwood H.S. 8:00 a.m.

Father Ryan 8:15 a.m.

William Mason H.S. 8:30 a.m.

Central Crossing H.S. 8:45 a.m.

Gibson Southern H.S. 9:00 a.m.

Jenison H.S. 9:15 a.m.

Lake Central H.S. 9:30 a.m.

Marian Catholic H.S. 9:45 a.m.

Lawrence Central H.S. 10:00 a.m.

Plymouth-Canton Ed. Park 10:15 a.m.

Kennesaw Mountain H.S. 10:30 a.m.

American Fork H.S. 10:45 a.m.

Center Grove H.S. 11:15 a.m.

Tarpon Springs H.S. 11:30 a.m.

Columbus North H.S. 11:45 a.m.

L.D. Bell H.S. 12:00 p.m.

Union H.S. 12:15 p.m.

Ben Davis H.S. 12:30 p.m.

Vista Murrieta H.S. 12:45 p.m.

Kiski Area H.S. 1:00 p.m.

Lake Park H.S. 1:15 p.m.

West Bloomfield H.S. 1:30 p.m.

Centerville H.S. 2:15 p.m.

Broken Arrow H.S. 2:30 p.m.

Carmel H.S. 2:45 p.m.

Avon H.S., IN 3:00 p.m.

Lafayette H.S. 3:15 p.m.

Northmont H.S. 3:30 p.m.

Louisville Male H.S. 3:45 p.m.

Dobyns-Bennett H.S. 4:00 p.m.

Fred J. Page H.S. 4:15 p.m.

Bellbrook H.S. 4:30 p.m.

Good Luck to all the Bands!!!!

What happened with PCEP?

I don't believe it's the head director change....or is it?

Thats probably it. Most programs do go down for the first couple years in a new band directors reign. I went through a director change myself, I can tell you many kids find it hard to trust the new person for awhile. Granted, we're no PCEP, but kids are kids whether there in Texas or Michigan.

dude... bout time someone did some Nobuo Uematsu.

Aeriths theme is pretty ballin.

Now we just need to get some "To Zanarkand" from FFX goin' and we've got one awesome ballad.

haha.

sad to hear colleyville didnt make it, i was really rootin for you guys. you all put out an excellent show and surprised many people this year.