[Major Event] UIL State Contest

^ I agree in the end it is only a circular piece of medal, and another trophy to add to your band hall. What marching band is about is coming together as an ensemble to create something larger than yourselves. We perform to make an emotional connection to the audience so that for 7-11min they forget about the world outside and focus on the emotion trying to be created on the field.

Agreed. Music should not be about competition, it should be about making an emotional connection with the listener. It just so happens that usually the bands that make the biggest emotional connection with the audience also perform their show better, and do better competitively

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I agree in the end it is only a circular piece of medal, and another trophy to add to your band hall. What marching band is about is coming together as an ensemble to create something larger than yourselves. We perform to make an emotional connection to the audience so that for 7-11min they forget about the world outside and focus on the emotion trying to be created on the field. What we do is an art, it was not created to be judged, it was created to connect us as human beings. We simply created a judging system to help us become better at connecting but not to create fights among students over what one judge's opinion said. The one thing as a freshman that I learned occured at my first two contests. We had a car crash in our band and someone died in our band. The next day at my first contest the Georgetown Band (I love you guys!) did not make finals at TOC Carrolton, but chose to stay and support us in our time of struggle. The Round Rock Band Boosters made green ribbons for every band member at the Westlake Contest to wear on their uniforms in honor of our lost member. Hendrickson, our cross town rival, prepared dinner for us (for free) at our game the week after the wreck. Now to me that screams what is good about band. We can come together to be amazing, or we can sit here and cry and moan because our favorite (or own) band didnt place where we thought they should, the choice is yours.

Well said T.L :)

Edited by iceeblue2

^ I agree in the end it is only a circular piece of medal, and another trophy to add to your band hall. What marching band is about is coming together as an ensemble to create something larger than yourselves. We perform to make an emotional connection to the audience so that for 7-11min they forget about the world outside and focus on the emotion trying to be created on the field. What we do is an art, it was not created to be judged, it was created to connect us as human beings. We simply created a judging system to help us become better at connecting but not to create fights among students over what one judge's opinion said. The one thing as a freshman that I learned occured at my first two contests. We had a car crash in our band and someone died in our band. The next day at my first contest the Georgetown Band (I love you guys!) did not make finals at TOC Carrolton, but chose to stay and support us in our time of struggle. The Round Rock Band Boosters made green ribbons for every band member at the Westlake Contest to wear on their uniforms in honor of our lost member. Hendrickson, our cross town rival, prepared dinner for us (for free) at our game the week after the wreck. Now to me that screams what is good about band. We can come together to be amazing, or we can sit here and cry and moan because our favorite (or own) band didnt place where we thought they should, the choice is yours.

Whatever, my circular piece of metal is not only larger in diameter than yours, it's much more shiny too.. Don't be jealous of the large shiny bling I wear around my neck just because it blinds you when the light hits it just right.

Edited by pokerface

Whatever, my circular piece of metal is not only larger in diameter than yours, it's much more shiny too.. Don't be jealous of the large shiny bling I wear around my neck just because it blinds you when the light hits it just right.

Ladies and gentlemen may i present....

the most immature person on this thread

now back to an actual topic....

did anyone actually see the woodlands show before they had to pullout i heard they were expected to be a big contender

Edited by BigBari

did anyone actually see the woodlands show before they had to pullout i heard they were expected to be a big contender

Ladies and gentlemen, watch as I pour water over BigBari's head and he grows a sense of humor.

That one flew straigt over on ya.

Haha.

Edited by pokerface

Ladies and gentlemen, watch as I pour water over BigBari's head and he grows a sense of humor.

That one flew straigt over on ya.

Haha.

Remember you are dealing with majority HS students here.

Everyone just needs to smile. Like people did when they saw me at state. :D So what if I wore a multicolored fuzzy slipper on my left foot and a rain boot on my right? If it made you smile then that is all that matters.

Remember you are dealing with majority HS students here.

Everyone just needs to smile. Like people did when they saw me at state. :D So what if I wore a multicolored fuzzy slipper on my left foot and a rain boot on my right? If it made you smile then that is all that matters.

Haha, now that's straight forward hilatiry.

But yes, I have to remember that perfectly timed sarcasm and intelligent humor will unfortunately be lost on most here. I'll save it for more mature audiences :rolleyes:

If you're interested, here is a link to their last performance before the disqualification: http://twhsband.com/Videogallery/links_to_.../2008_01Nov.htm

Enjoy

Duncanville should have definitely been up there. They had the best performance in my opinion. I had goosebumps throughout the show. --Definitely no where near 10th place-- The sonority and maturity of the sounds stood out from any other band. Coppell, Marcus, and Hebron sounded very good as well. Very well played and marched (not easy drill by any means)!!! The best D'ville show I have heard/seen. Kudos to those kids for a job well done!

hahahahahahahahha

thats awesome, i mean yeah your a dick, but thats pretty funny that someone would come on here and say that.

Edited by drummerjake

Am I the only one that realizes he was being sarcastic.

Treblemaker got the joke too. I think these kids are too young to understand my sense of humor. It may be dry as an old piece of leather, but it's very much there.

Let me explain so the Cedar Park/Coppell individuals who jumped the gun will 'get it'. It was well placed sarcasm to back up the fact that it is very stupid to think that it is all about winning a trophy or a medal. If you read what I said, you'll see just how silly it actually is if someone were to have a mindset like that. Thus, that's why it is sarcasm and makes for a great joke...if it doesn't fly directly over your head. B)

To drummerjake: You calling me a 'dick' isn't even funny, and shows your lack of observation and wit.

Edited by pokerface

Treblemaker got the joke too. I think these kids are too young to understand my sense of humor. It may be dry as an old piece of leather, but it's very much there.

Let me explain so the Cedar Park/Coppell individuals who jumped the gun will 'get it'. It was well placed sarcasm to back up the fact that it is very stupid to think that it is all about winning a trophy or a medal. If you read what I said, you'll see just how silly it actually is if someone were to have a mindset like that. Thus, that's why it is sarcasm and makes for a great joke...if it doesn't fly directly over your head. B)

To drummerjake: You calling me a 'dick' isn't even funny, and shows your lack of observation and wit.

well.. i thought it was funny??? lol.. i get your "dry as an old piece of leather" sense of humor. :D

cant we all just get along! lol kidding.

I think maybe the problem some had with your post was that the poster was telling a personal, emotional story and your attempt at "scarcasm" was maybe a bit of an inappropiate response.

I think maybe the problem some had with your post was that the poster was telling a personal, emotional story and your attempt at "scarcasm" was maybe a bit of an inappropiate response.

Nah, the problem was they didn't get I was making a joke. I think the message was well taken from the person who posted the 'emotional' story. Comical relief is needed sometimes. I didn't insult anyone, if I hurt your feelings by being funny then I think that's something you can get0ver.